Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Lennon's favorite McCartney's songs  (Read 6420 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Lennon's favorite McCartney's songs
« on: December 24, 2016, 12:34:41 AM »

Previously I made a compilation of Beatles songs John disliked. Now I'm making another Beatles album with songs written by Paul and praised by John.

1. All My Loving. "This was one of his first biggies." / "'All My Loving' is Paul, I regret to say. Because it's a damn fine piece of work. But I play a pretty mean guitar in back."

2. Things We Said Today. "Paul's. Good song."

3. I'll Follow The Sun. "A nice one."

4. Yesterday. "Paul wrote the lyrics to 'Yesterday.' Although the lyrics don't reslove into any sense, they're good lines. They certainly work, you know what I mean? They're good-- but if you read the whole song, it doesn't say anything; you don't know what happened. She left and he wishes it were yesterday-- that much you get-- but it doesn't really resolve. So, mine didn't used to either. I have had so much accolade for 'Yesterday.' That's Paul's song, and Paul's baby. Well done. Beautiful-- and I never wished I'd written it."

5. Here, There And Everywhere. "This was a great one of his." / "That's Paul's song completely, I believe. And one of my favorite songs of the Beatles."

6. For No One. "Another of his I really liked." / "Paul's. One of my favorites of his. A nice piece of work."

7. Got To Get You Into My Life. "Paul. I think that was one of his best songs, too, because the lyrics are good and I didn't write them. You see? When I say that he could write lyrics if he took the effort-- here's an example."

8. Fixing A Hole. "That's Paul... again writing a good lyric."

9. The Fool On The Hill. "Now that's Paul. Another good lyric. Shows he's capable of writing complete songs."

10. Hey Jude. "That's his best song."

11. Why Don't We Do It In The Road? "Paul. One of his best."

12. The End. "That's Paul again, the unfinished song, right? Just a piece at the end. He had a line in it, (sings) 'And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make,' which is a very cosmic, philosophical line-- which again proves that if he wants to, he can think."

So it seems that "Yesterday" was not the only thing Paul's done; right John?
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Lennon's favorite McCartney's songs
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 01:39:03 AM »

That's a great playlist.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 12:42:00 PM »

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 11:14:16 PM »

I think I read John loved Oh Darling, and wanted to sing it.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 12:27:14 AM »

I think I read John loved Oh Darling, and wanted to sing it.

That's true, but I didn't select it because he said that Paul didn't sing it very well.

Oh! Darling. "'Oh! Darling' was a great one of Paul's that he didn't sing too well. I always thought that I could've done it better-- it was more my style than his. He wrote it, so what the hell, he's going to sing it. If he'd had any sense he should have let me sing it." (laughs)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 03:26:24 AM »

Oh! Darling   Paul and John Duet...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGP2sy4mlFk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGP2sy4mlFk</a>

I can stay till it's time to go

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 01:08:22 PM »

Oh! Darling. "'Oh! Darling' was a great one of Paul's that he didn't sing too well. I always thought that I could've done it better-- it was more my style than his. He wrote it, so what the hell, he's going to sing it. If he'd had any sense he should have let me sing it." (laughs)

so i have read the above quote over the years, heard opinions of the same...I can't imagine the song any other way though.  I don't agree with "he didn't sing too well".  I don't get the criticism on this song at all.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 02:52:35 PM »

Hello:  Thanks for posting that video.  I think Paul's was the right voice for it.  It didn't seem like John knew the words in the duet.  Also, John definitely didn't have his singing voice turned on in the video as it sounded very flat and monotonous (more like talking than singing). 

I've always had the belief that the Beatles sang what they wrote.  So, if you hear John's voice as the solo singer, then he's the author of the song and the same with Paul.  It's hard to imagine Paul writing a lead vocal for John or John for Paul.  I don't know.  Was this done?  The Beatles seemed to know whose voice sounded best on a song.  I mean they had George sing "I'm happy just to dance with you."  I also think George's voice was exactly right for that.  Same for Ringo's songs.

Paul really seemed to like to play with his voice and his range.  You can hear him going from low to high notes in many of his songs.  He liked the screaming effect, too, the falsetto, I suppose.  Paul was an experimentalist by nature.  if he had a song in his head, I think he had multiple ways he could sing it.  Then for the record, I suppose he chose the best one - maybe.

Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 02:57:06 PM »

so i have read the above quote over the years, heard opinions of the same...I can't imagine the song any other way though.  I don't agree with "he didn't sing too well".  I don't get the criticism on this song at all.

In that case I don't agree with John either. I like the way Paul sings in "Oh! Darling". But the list is based on John's opinion and not on mine, that's why I didn't include the song, at least if just the released version is considered.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2016, 03:07:53 PM »

I've always had the belief that the Beatles sang what they wrote.  So, if you hear John's voice as the solo singer, then he's the author of the song and the same with Paul.  It's hard to imagine Paul writing a lead vocal for John or John for Paul.

There are some exceptions to that rule. For instance, John sang the lead vocal of "Every Little Thing", which was mainly written by Paul. And Paul sang part of the lead vocal of "A Hard Day's Night" even though it was written by John, since Paul's voice was more suitable for that section.

With regard to "Oh! Darling", as I said, I like Paul's singing in that song. But it would have been interesting to listen to a John's version, in order to make an actual comparison.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2016, 03:15:53 PM »

Hombre:  Thanks for the examples.  Also, I agree with your thought about John singing it.  The truth is it would be interesting to hear John and Paul doing each other's songs but, alas, we never will.

Ponder for a moment John singing "Penny Lane" and Paul singing "Strawberry Fields."  Or Paul on "Come together."  And so forth and so on into infinity.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 08:53:47 PM »

Hombre:  Thanks for the examples.  Also, I agree with your thought about John singing it.  The truth is it would be interesting to hear John and Paul doing each other's songs but, alas, we never will.

Ponder for a moment John singing "Penny Lane" and Paul singing "Strawberry Fields."  Or Paul on "Come together."  And so forth and so on into infinity.

You don't not have to imagine Paul singing Strawberry Fields. He's done it live at least once. I'm sure there's video/audio of it.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 02:04:34 PM »

Thanks, Moog.  It wasn't as interesting as I thought it'd be.

Maybe it'd be more interesting to hear John sing Penny, but probably not.

I hereby accept the Beatles catalogue as it was originally rendered and intended.  Amen.

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 67 queries.