Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 986 times)

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
Windows 8
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:21:41 PM »

I just started playing with the Consumer Preview of Windows 8 (you can download from Microsoft). I tried running it on my desktop. I have a very powerful machine, so performance is no problem, but I consider this THE WORST WINDOWS EVER!!!

I typically have a more positive view of new technology. I find this OS cumbersome to move around in and an utter pain.

The learning curve on just getting around is huge.

Anybody else tried this? Even if you haven't give a "NO". Or if you would like to, please voice your thoughts.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Toejam

• A Beginning
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »

I was thinking about it but don't know if I can. I mean does it superced the OS that's on your computer and so you kind of really need to only do it on a spare machine? I don't like the look of it. It's being designed for tablets more than anything isn't it? I've got myself stuck with Vista basic atm 'cause my laptop with W7 on it crashed and I had to have it set to the factory setting 'cause I'd lost the W7 product code key and disc. Thinking of buying it again tomorrow 'cause I've got a bit of spare cash. but am worried a-this computer is on it's last legs and I'll not be able to use it for much longer thereby wasting the money or b-that it'll get stolen 'cause I'm living in a bedsit slap bang in the middle of a red light area. The landlord's told me thy've had a few brake in's over the years. Might just wait till this laptop finally packs up altogether then get a new one with it on.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 11:34:59 PM »

I installed it in a Virtual Machine. I use Oracle's VirtualBox.

Yes, it is mostly designed for tablets. I have looked at Windows tablets, and I think they are too expensive. I have a Nook Tablet, and it works good. It certainly isn't the most powerful, or really even the "best" tablet, but for the money, it is a very good tablet. It does what I want, so...

I am not an Apple fan so... (I do have an iPod).

Anyways, Win 8 seems to be not so hot for a desktop computer, just awkward. That is what other users are saying too. I am going to stick with Win 7 for a long time.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 01:21:45 AM »

Windows 8?!? I cant even get used to Windows 7!!!! I much preffer XP or proffesional....!

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 01:30:42 AM »

Fortunately, Microsoft reacted to demand and still supports XP Professional.  The medical office software I use runs best on that and so my office computers and laptop have XP Professional. 

I have Vista Ultimate on my personal computer.  With "Classic" settings, there's very little difference.
I can stay till it's time to go

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 09:21:45 AM »

Fortunately, Microsoft reacted to demand and still supports XP Professional.  The medical office software I use runs best on that and so my office computers and laptop have XP Professional. 
So XP and Proffesional is actually the same thing? Whoops. Just goes to show how much I know about computers :P

I have Vista Ultimate on my personal computer.  With "Classic" settings, there's very little difference.
Nooooooo! I hate Vista!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 03:10:13 PM »

Yes, I like Windows XP as well. As I am a Computer Tech, I have to stay up with the latest and greatest... well, the latest.

I use Windows 7 and I like it a lot. I have been using it for quite some time and have gotten used to it. It is very stable and I have no problems.

"Professional" is a flavor of Windows XP. There is also Home Edition, Media Center Edition. They are all Windows XP. They have different features enabled. Just as Windows 7 has different "flavors" (Ultimate, Enterprise, Professional, Home Premium, Home Basic and Starter).

I also really like Open Source Operating Systems. Probably the most popular (among the masses) is Ubuntu. I prefer PC-BSD and FreeBSD. PC-BSD is pretty easy to install and maintain.

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 54 queries.