Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Sea change  (Read 5843 times)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Sea change
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2016, 10:30:55 AM »

Congratulations, Kev! You are the first forum member who visit Russia  cheer1  So it wasn't so dangerous as some people think?
I'm glad you liked Vladivostok. I've heard the Russians have the reputation of hospitable people (I mean foreign people say so), so it wasn't a suprise that people you see were much welcoming; still it is pleasure to hear about it from you.

I've never read John Le Carre but it's funny, you're right, spies etc..?
Next time before visiting Vladivostok read, for example, Vsevolod Krestovsky, Anton Chekhov  ;)
Or next time will be in Sochi or Yalta?  roll:)

There you go Dmitry,  my all time favourite TV series, it's all on you tube, they also made a movie on the book in 2011 but it wasn't as good

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8nFnhCHboM&amp;sns=em" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8nFnhCHboM&amp;sns=em</a>
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 08:07:10 AM »

ha2ha  That is an excellent point!

Yes, please; another picture, Kevin!  :)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2016, 11:52:58 PM »

^^^^^

I wish I could just jump into that picture!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2016, 05:19:43 AM »

Go ahead and...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8FkJkWNP9A" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8FkJkWNP9A</a>

I can stay till it's time to go

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2016, 11:54:42 AM »

Congratulations, Kev! You are the first forum member who visit Russia...
Does it count that I visited Russia before there was a forum? In 1986, I visited Leningrad (Saint Petersburg) for several days as part of a cruise of the Baltic Sea. I will never forget riding through town on a bus and seeing the following graffiti spray painted on a vacant building - in English, no less: "The Beatles 4-Ever!"  I must tell you, that was the last thing I expected to see in Leningrad and it really made my day.  ;D

Also, I made a point of visiting a local record shop to see if they had any Beatles selections which, sadly, they did not. However, they did have Julian's Valotte Lp. The only other western artists I recall seeing were UB40 (Geffery Morgan Lp) and Billy Joel (I think it was Nylon Curtain). 

So it wasn't so dangerous as some people think?
Hmmm... I experienced a suspenseful encounter while shopping one day when three Russian dudes confronted me and wanted my American currency. The biggest of the three - and larger than me - was standing directly in front of me doing the ol' fist in the palm motion to let me know it could get violent if I didn't comply. I was not willing to hand over my cash and just as I was quickly pondering how I could defend myself against the three of them (after all, I'm not exactly Bruce Lee or Chuck Norris) eight members of my entourage approached from behind me (including four large males). I took a quick look back and greeted them so my potential muggers would know I was a part of that group and when I turned back to face the hooligans - they had disappeared - much to my relief. Needless to say, after that little episode, I didn't venture too far from the group anytime thereafter. Overall, though, the visit was informative and very rewarding.   
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2016, 06:01:28 AM »

^^^^^

it's not bad considering its upside down
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2016, 09:04:21 PM »

it's not bad considering its upside down

Right, Kathleen.  But it's easy to compensate.  Just stay inverted.  That way you'll be right side up while everything else is upside down...

;D

I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 53 queries.