Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: THE FIRST BEATLE IN AMERICA  (Read 5837 times)

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
THE FIRST BEATLE IN AMERICA
« on: August 30, 2013, 03:45:49 AM »

THE FIRST BEATLE IN AMERICA

Thursday, August 29,2013

http://www.illinoistimes.com/Springfield/article-12788-the-first-beatle-in-america.html

On Saturday, Sept. 21, The Illinois State Historical Society will unveil and dedicate “The First Beatle in America – George Harrison” historical marker at Capitol Park in Benton in southern Illinois. The marker, which commemorates the “Quiet Beatle” and his visit to the United States in September 1963 – six months before The Beatles came to America as a band – will be unveiled at 2 p.m. in the community park, just southeast of the county square. Special guests include Harrison’s sister, Louise, Jim Kirkpatrick (author of Before He Was Fab), Bob Bartel (producer of the documentary film A Beatle in Benton), and others. The marker is sponsored by The Illinois State Historical Society, the Franklin County Historic Preservation Society and Beatles Fans Everywhere. For more information, call 217-525-2781.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: THE FIRST BEATLE IN AMERICA
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 06:50:15 PM »

Omigosh! I had no idea George visited the States before the Beatles' arrival in February 1964. (I need to catch up on my George reading; I have some books but have not gotten to them yet.)

Thanks for sharing this. I sure wish I could be the unveiling and dedication.

KelMar

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 05:04:31 AM »

Gotta love George...

"[Harrison] mentioned all the big American stars who'd come across to Britain," recalled a reporter for the Beatles' hometown paper, the Liverpool Echo, in Philip Norman's biography "Shout! The Beatles in Their Generation." "He'd been across [to the States], unlike the others; he knew what the place was like.

" 'They've got everything over there,' Harrison said. 'What do they want us for?' "  http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/02/05/beatles.40/

I guess he found out!

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 05:07:52 AM by In My Life »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »

That goes to show how carefully I read.  ;)  I've read Shout!, and did not recall learning that George had gone to America before the Beatles' arrival.

That's a great quote, Kelley; thank you for sharing it. It made me smile.

KelMar

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 01:27:23 AM »

That goes to show how carefully I read.  ;)  I've read Shout!, and did not recall learning that George had gone to America before the Beatles' arrival.

That's a great quote, Kelley; thank you for sharing it. It made me smile.

You're welcome. I think that given all the reading you have to do it's understandable that you might forget something here and there!

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 10:34:06 AM »

Is there any detail why George went to the US then and why Benton, Illinois in particular?

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 11:16:06 AM »

Is there any detail why George went to the US then and why Benton, Illinois in particular?

He visited his sister Louise, who lived there at that time.

"I'd been to America before, being the experienced Beatle that I was. I went to New York and St Louis in 1963, to look around, and to the countryside in Illinois, where my sister was living at the time. I went to record stores. I bought Booker T and the MGs' first album, Green Onions, and I bought some Bobby Bland, all kind of things."  George Harrison in Anthology
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:19:44 AM by Bobber »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 03:05:04 AM »

George also bought a Fireglo Rickenbacker 425 at Fenton's Music Store in Mount Vernon, Illinois.  He had it refinished in black to match John's recently-painted 325 before he picked it up  He debuted the 425 on Great Britain's "Ready, Steady, Go!" TV show the following month...

The Beatles - Twist And Shout (Ready, Steady, Go! 1963)

4 October 1963

You Won't See Me   George Harrison Purchases a Rickenbacker

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 04:22:58 AM »

George also visited New York City and the Empire State Building before his flight back to Great Britain...

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 07:17:09 AM »

George also bought a Fireglo Rickenbacker 425 at Fenton's Music Store in Mount Vernon, Illinois.  He had it refinished in black to match John's recently-painted 325 before he picked it up  He debuted the 425 on Great Britain's "Ready, Steady, Go!" TV show the following month...

You know if there's one real regret I have of not becoming a rich and famous musician it's probably the ability to just wander in to a music store on some trip and buy any expensive guitar that takes my fancy.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »

You know if there's one real regret I have of not becoming a rich and famous musician it's probably the ability to just wander in to a music store on some trip and buy any expensive guitar that takes my fancy.

George paid about $400 for the Ric in September 1963, serial number BH 439.  Rics were hard to come by in Great Britain in the early 60s.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 09:58:55 PM »

George paid about $400 for the Ric in September 1963, serial number BH 439.  Rics were hard to come by in Great Britain in the early 60s.

And $400 was serious money back then.

Page created in 0.531 seconds with 58 queries.