Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Better Guitarist  (Read 4418 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: Better Guitarist
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2005, 01:36:41 AM »

Right. But how can you listen to Comfortably Numb, Shine On, Dogs, Fat Old Sun, Time, Have a Cigar, Money, Echoes, and Another Brick and not be amazed!!

Just kidding. I mean, it's all preference. Jimmy's style is fast and heavy David's style is slow and melodic. Or something like that. I can't explain the difference well. But they are too different to really compare actually.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2005, 01:50:25 AM »

Dave does have the best solo of all time in COmfortably Numb, but overall i have to vote for Page.  

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2005, 02:17:13 AM »

Dave doing Echoes live on the Pompeii DVD is an awesome sight. As is his slide guitar and experimental stuff on Saucerfull. (Cellestial Voices ahhhh!) Syd used a Bic lighter! But then Page is cool to watch when he uses the violin bow. They've both got their appeal I guess.

Echoes Solo (I'll take any excuse to post a David pic!)

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2005, 02:37:12 AM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
Jimmy's catching up fast! He's much more popular a guitarist don't you think? I mean, he's always in the top 5. Gilmour would be like 37 or something. Wonder what the judging standards are? Eddie Van Halen is always up there too and I think his solo's lack the soul of Gilmours. But what do I know!

EVH always up there? He's underrated like hell...and gilmour played guitar in the 70's, the music was different then...Eddie came in and reinvented the guitar and rock music with his double hand tapping, fast picking and harmonics... both are great and very different...but eddie doesn't lack anything, he's just different, 2 different guys with 2 different styles  from 2 different era's...
BTW in the crappy rolling stones 100 best guitarists of alltime gilmour was 87 or something like that..which is a stupid mistake...no Vai, Frampton and EVH 70 i think...

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2005, 02:37:44 AM »

Dave doing Echoes live on the Pompeii DVD is an awesome sight. As is his slide guitar and experimental stuff on Saucerfull. (Cellestial Voices ahhhh!) Syd used a Bic lighter! But then Page is cool to watch when he uses the violin bow. They've both got their appeal I guess.

Echoes Solo (I'll take any excuse to post a David pic!)

echoes live at pompeii = very good!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2005, 02:46:57 AM »

Huh. I thought I always saw EVH up there. Dave at 87!!! See what I mean. He's like not even thought of. I read once where he said he liked Eddie and wished he could play as fast as him, but he's got poor coordination between his left and right hands. I think Gilmour is a class act. It seems like he has little to no ego.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2005, 02:48:05 AM »

BTW, I don't think Eddie's underrated at all. But then I lived through the height of their career and ALL I head was Eddie this and Eddie that!!!! Overkill.

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2005, 02:48:45 AM »

Quote from: Herecomesyoursun
I voted Jimmy.

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2005, 02:53:58 AM »

Cool! Which of Dave's can you play?

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2005, 02:56:24 AM »

I can play most of Numb, i can play Wish You Were here-including the solos, Mother, ABITW solo, i cant play alot of Daves stuff though hes my favorite guitarist...I forgot- Time!! i can play Time solo

&nb

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2005, 02:56:59 AM »

I got Pink Floyd-Pulse today

&nb

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2005, 02:58:43 AM »

So the bendy thing isn't hard to do? Like holding up the strings? Cuz that hurt me like hell when I tried to learn. I gave up pretty fast though. Didn't develop those calluses. How about those Townshend power cords? Easy or hard?

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2005, 03:00:48 AM »

Huh. I thought I always saw EVH up there. Dave at 87!!! See what I mean. He's like not even thought of. I read once where he said he liked Eddie and wished he could play as fast as him, but he's got poor coordination between his left and right hands. I think Gilmour is a class act. It seems like he has little to no ego.

eddie doesn't always play guitar a standard way, he used his hand to do some "tricks", like tapping and that stuff...
sad to see gilmour , people dont have any respect for him...well at least he's on the list (still suck though...)...not like frampton... ::)

BTW, I don't think Eddie's underrated at all. But then I lived through the height of their career and ALL I head was Eddie this and Eddie that!!!! Overkill.

yeah i but if you look around and ask people who listen to some rock they dont even know who EVH is..and its sometimes true i tried it once with people i knew..like they've been living under a rock all that time...sad...but i agree sandra in their prime he was a god and talked about like crazy! and he still is great, even after all he had to put up with...

not a good choice of guitar work there, I can play all of those

lol that's so funny...because you can play it it's not good guitar work...lolll
I can play wish you were here, comfortably numb and other Floyd, stairway, whole lotta love,other zepp, some clapton ect... and it still is awesome guitar work... you can play a song/riff/solo, but you'll never be the guitar player that wrote it...except if you write your own melodies..

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2005, 03:05:13 AM »

Who on this earth would not know who Eddie Van Halen is??? Unless they're like under 15. And even then. He's way more recent than Gilmour. I'd bet more people know who Eddie is than Dave. At least in this country. Although Floyd is more popular here than in the UK actually. But the guys in Floyd always kept a low profile. Van Halen is still out there in some form or another.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2005, 03:09:19 AM »

I think what he meant, was that if it's an easier tune to learn, it's not as complex as people think it is. Like it's impossible to learn or something. This is coming from a non-musician. I think people relate complexity to skill or something. Like a while back when we were talking about drummers I asked if certain drummer's stuff was easy or hard to play and Moon's stuff was always the hardest to copy. I felt like that said something about his skill. But maybe it doesn't. I don't know. Not being a musician.

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2005, 03:13:51 AM »

Who on this earth would not know who Eddie Van Halen is??? Unless they're like under 15. And even then. He's way more recent than Gilmour. I'd bet more people know who Eddie is than Dave. At least in this country. Although Floyd is more popular here than in the UK actually. But the guys in Floyd always kept a low profile. Van Halen is still out there in some form or another.

yeah, people see Dave as "Roger's shadow"...he played some great guitar, but cause Waters came up with the songs/lyrics he's the man... Gilmour deserves wayyyyy more respect, he one hell of a guitr player, lots of emotion.. thats all i have to say about that!...

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2005, 03:17:24 AM »

haha, i was being sarcastic, I know its awesome guitar work.., just saying that cause evrybody thinks Page is god or something

&nb

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2005, 03:21:09 AM »

Waters came up with the lyrics yes and a lot of the music, but the other guys contributed A LOT more than what people think. I mean, most people think it was just Roger doing it alone. That's so not true until the very end. David and he wrote some stuff together and Dave, Rick, and Nick contributed greatly to the music. Roger's a great lyricist, but there's more to their success than just those words. The Floyd post Waters stuff stands up pretty well to the rest of their catalogue, especially when David got the other two back to contributing. None of Roger's solo stuff can touch his Floyd days. I think a lot of bands fall into that trap of thinking they don't need the others. Not true in most cases.

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2005, 03:21:44 AM »

Quote from: TurnMeOnDeadman
haha, i was being sarcastic, I know its awesome guitar work.., just saying that cause evrybody thinks Page is god or something

dude...he is a god...gilmour is one too man..honnestly both have great talent, they're equal, except their style of playing is different... both proved they can kick serious a$$, thats it thats all... both are legends!

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2005, 03:23:11 AM »

Waters came up with the lyrics yes and a lot of the music, but the other guys contributed A LOT more than what people think. I mean, most people think it was just Roger doing it alone. That's so not true until the very end. David and he wrote some stuff together and Dave, Rick, and Nick contributed greatly to the music. Roger's a great lyricist, but there's more to their success than just those words. The Floyd post Waters stuff stands up pretty well to the rest of their catalogue, especially when David got the other two back to contributing. None of Roger's solo stuff can touch his Floyd days. I think a lot of bands fall into that trap of thinking they don't need the others. Not true in most cases.

excatly, but some people only see the greatness is Waters, not Gilmour, Wright or Mason..

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 77 queries.