Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Who was the walrus?  (Read 6593 times)

barry_burton

• One And One Is Two
Who was the walrus?
« on: February 27, 2005, 10:50:47 PM »

Was it Paul or John? John did sing it, but then said it was Paul who was the walrus. Hmm... what are your opinions on this?
Use Linux

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
Re: Who was the walrus?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 11:04:48 PM »

Well, When John sang about the Walrus, it was just random nonsense thrown at the critics to mock them. Lennon found how people often analysed his songs as ridiculous, so he wrote Walrus as a private joke for himself and the band.
Later, he said the Walrus was Paul, just to keep Paul happy. This was done, because by this time, Lennon & Yoko were very close, and the paul & john bond was breaking, thus he wrote it to keep him happy..
The Walrus* is heavily influenced by Alice through the looking glass...the characters the Walrus & the Carpenter...( The Walrus is infact the evil capitalist character)

Hope it helps.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 11:58:05 PM »

Well I think the walrus was Harold...

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 12:25:43 AM »

James Joyce was a big influence on JL. On the cover of Magical Mystery Tour, Paul is in the walrus suit. On the inside of the album after the IAMT title it says 'No you're not, said little Nicola' meaning it wasn't John. Then you can read into whatever you like as far as the Paul Is Dead rumor, vis a vis "Glass Onion". I never heard that he wrote that to keep Paul happy because of Yoko, I personally don't think he gave a s**t what people thought of him and Yoko.

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 12:45:45 AM »

why would comparing him to a evil capitalist "looking glass" character make him happier.
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

barry_burton

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 01:28:22 AM »

Hmm... thanks for the info about the walrus guys. I was just listening to "I Am the Walrus" earlier and I had heard "Glass Onion" countless times and heard Lennon's remarks about the walrus. It just got me wondering.

Paul was the hippo I thought .. meh, doesn't matter.
Use Linux

barry_burton

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 01:29:53 AM »

I've also heard that the whole walrus thing came from a Shakespearean play (one which I cannot remember).
Use Linux

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 01:36:15 AM »

Quote from: barry_burton
I've also heard that the whole walrus thing came from a Shakespearean play (one which I cannot remember).

It didn't come from the play, but you hear Act IV Scene VI, the death scene from King Lear, during the fadeout.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 07:32:40 AM »

Quote from: lennonlemon
why would comparing him to a evil capitalist "looking glass" character make him happier.

John got the characters wrong. He said later on he picked the wrong guy! I guess he wasn't THAT familiar with the work when he wrote the song. Probably liked the way Walrus sounded. I think the bit about Paul being the Walrus is another Lennon backpeddling thing. He said he was throwing Paul a bone, but then, he said a lot of things that were probably only half true. If true at all. It probably just rhymed or something.

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 08:20:58 AM »

look at a pic of the boys where there standing next together.. look at the difference in hight.. then have a look at a pic of them standing next together in their costumes and try and work out who was the WALRUS  hehe .. just a bit of fun i guess lmao ...

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 12:03:17 PM »

in the when we was fab video by george harrison ringo is in it, but they couldn't get paul so they substituted him with a walrus playing bass.

it's hardly evidence, but it does make some sense.
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 04:41:22 PM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm
I personally don't think he gave a s**t what people thought of him and Yoko.

Based on his Rolling Stone interviews (1970?) and the way he attacked the others for their alledged mistreatment of Yoko, I think he cared very much what people thought.
John has always struck me as a nervous, ill at ease person. not some happy- go lucky- don't- give- a- damn kinda guy
don't follow leaders

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 10:09:09 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b

Based on his Rolling Stone interviews (1970?) and the way he attacked the others for their alledged mistreatment of Yoko, I think he cared very much what people thought.
John has always struck me as a nervous, ill at ease person. not some happy- go lucky- don't- give- a- damn kinda guy

True. He lashed out at the treatment of Yoko and how she was villified, but it didn't change anything that he/they did. Then again, he lashed out at everything in the Jann Wenner interview. He knew that they were going to be mocked about the Bed-In,  Bagism, etc., but he went on with it, mainly to draw attention to their Peace campaign. I'm not saying that he wasn't hurt by it and the dissension with the rest of the band, but he forged ahead and must have figured the price was worth the cost.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 10:59:03 PM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm
James Joyce was a big influence on JL. On the cover of Magical Mystery Tour, Paul is in the walrus suit. On the inside of the album after the IAMT title it says 'No you're not, said little Nicola' meaning it wasn't John. Then you can read into whatever you like as far as the Paul Is Dead rumor, vis a vis "Glass Onion". I never heard that he wrote that to keep Paul happy because of Yoko, I personally don't think he gave a s**t what people thought of him and Yoko.

That's what I thought on the MMT cover, untilI read that the hippo has the watch on the right hand, and left-handers have watches on their right hand, signalling that Paul is in the hippo costume.

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 08:17:21 AM »

nice reply's there Kev & JF .. i absolutely agree with the both of you !

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 08:29:15 AM »

My god you're up bright and early
don't follow leaders

Mrs JWL

• A Beginning
  • I love the Beatles so much. They are my life!!!!!!
    • Fab Mania
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 12:17:04 AM »

Quote from: IndicaWalrus
The Walrus* is heavily influenced by Alice through the looking glass...the characters the Walrus & the Carpenter...( The Walrus is infact the evil capitalist character)

Hope it helps.

Was this a book? I want to read it. What is the title?

Tiff Lennon

Mrs JWL

• A Beginning
    • Fab Mania
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 12:22:24 AM »

My friend, Hyl, and I were just talking about this the other day on the phone. She said that people thought that John wasn't the walrus because another costume had glasses. Also about the song, Glass Onion which was mentioned above. However, in Magical Mystery Tour and in the I Am The Walrus video, you can definately tell that JOHN is the walrus. John is playing the piano AND SO IS THE WALRUS!!!!

Tiff Lennon

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 12:26:12 AM »

Darn, I think my post was missed:

The hippo has his watch on his right hand, and that's the hand that left-handers have their watch on.  Personally, I think it's Paul in the hippo suit and John in the walrus suit.

Mrs JWL

• A Beginning
    • Fab Mania
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2005, 12:27:41 AM »

No, I read it. I agree though I am wearing my watch on my right hand right now and I am right handed. lol

Tiff Lennon
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 83 queries.