Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: First US Visit DVD  (Read 9946 times)

Rocky Raccoon

• A Beginning
  • Help with good Rocky's revival!
First US Visit DVD
« on: February 21, 2004, 04:19:02 PM »

I bought this DVD last week and i think it is great.
It has wonderful scenes of the beatles in their hotel rooms. Ypu can see how they worked and what they did while they were in their room. It has some very funny scenes too.

Was this material released before?
What do you guys think about this DVD?
In the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Re: First US Visit DVD
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 04:23:42 PM »

It was released before, about a decade or so ago.  This new release has nearly an hour more of newmaterial plus some other unseen footage and such.

I don't own it yet but plan to very soon!  (Along with the Concert for george...both appear to be exceptional releases).

Rocky Raccoon

• A Beginning
  • Help with good Rocky's revival!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 04:30:50 PM »

Yeah, I have concert for george too, and it is great. I recommend you to buy it.
In the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 06:12:17 PM »

I like the scenes on the train where Ringo and George are acting all goofy for the camera. Or when they're packing and Paul is showing Ringo all these pictures and is saying something like, "Ringo I drew a picture for you!" "Ringo, I drew another one. It's an abstract!"

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 06:53:32 PM »

iwas not to impressed. paul fans will love it.john was down played....

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 10:42:17 PM »

Yes, he was downplayed. He seemed very quiet in the clips. And in some parts he wasn't even around.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2004, 11:58:08 AM »

The Beatles' "The First US Visit" DVD is amazing! If you don't have this already, I HIGHLY recommend you buy it! The excitement of this momentous achievement really shines through, with both the audience and The Beatles mutually enjoying the experience.

The ground-breaking hand-held camera, documentary style has been much copied over the years - even in The Beatles own "A Hard Day's Night" movie, which of course partly takes place on a train; as it also does in "US Visit".

One thing struck me though - what was wrong with John? He seemed so quiet and reflective all the time, while Paul, George and especially Ringo played up for the press and cameras, John seemed to just sit back, smoking and not saying much. I know he was spending the day with Cynthia during some of the segments filmed in Miami, but in most of the scenes he does appear in, he seems quite introverted.

A few of John's scenes are hilarious though - especially when he does a spoof commercial with George for Marlboro cigarettes! Another funny moment is when John sings the wrong first line to "This Boy" on the Ed Sullivan Show, which nearly causes Paul to crack up!

There is a particularly interesting scene in their hotel room, where John is playing what looks like a small flute with a tiny keyboard attached. The amazing thing is the tune he's playing...
it sounds very much like the opening chords of Strawberry Fields!! Have a listen and tell me what you think! I swear I'm not hearing things!

What you really notice is just what fantastic live performers they were - they really did put on a show! It's a shame John's Mic isn't working during their first appearance on the Ed sullivan Show - all you can hear is Paul.

We also get to see them relaxing and enjoying a night out at a club called the Peppermint Lounge (the home of the Twist!). This is also reminiscent of "A Hard Day's Night"! And afterwards, is that Paul trying to smuggle a girl under his coat back to the hotel room? Naughty boy!!

It is the first time that this footage has been officially released - it was originally shown back in the Sixties, and then re-discovered in the late Eighties and broadcast by Granada TV in England as "The Early Beatles". This DVD though contains a great deal more footage and bonus scenes.

It's so great to get a glimpse of what it was actually like to be in the eye of that hurricane. In the words of John, as they pull up oustside their hotel in a limo, surrounded by hundreds of screaming fans; "How do we get in then?"

Most of this is from the old forum, but some points are still being raised here so I thought I'd re-write some of it and post it here. Hope that's OK :)

Wayne L.

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2004, 02:19:15 PM »

I saw The Beatles First US Visit about 19 years ago on a bootleg video of the original Maysals Bros. documentary wih the Ed Sullivan footage, I saw it again 10 years ago with the Ed Sullivan footage which gives it more kick than the original IMO.

Wayne L.

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2004, 02:24:11 PM »

Sorry about the typo folks because what I meant to say was I saw The Beatles First US Visit about 19 years ago on bootleg video without the Ed Sullivan footage.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004, 08:42:58 PM »

[quote by=The_End link=Blah.pl?b=films,m=1077380342,s=6 date=1077451088]The Beatles' "The First US Visit" DVD is amazing! If you don't have this already, I HIGHLY recommend you buy it! The excitement of this momentous achievement really shines through, with both the audience and The Beatles mutually enjoying the experience.

The ground-breaking hand-held camera, documentary style has been much copied over the years - even in The Beatles own "A Hard Day's Night" movie, which of course partly takes place on a train; as it also does in "US Visit".

One thing struck me though - what was wrong with John? He seemed so quiet and reflective all the time, while Paul, George and especially Ringo played up for the press and cameras, John seemed to just sit back, smoking and not saying much. I know he was spending the day with Cynthia during some of the segments filmed in Miami, but in most of the scenes he does appear in, he seems quite introverted.

A few of John's scenes are hilarious though - especially when he does a spoof commercial with George for Marlboro cigarettes! Another funny moment is when John sings the wrong first line to "This Boy" on the Ed Sullivan Show, which nearly causes Paul to crack up!

There is a particularly interesting scene in their hotel room, where John is playing what looks like a small flute with a tiny keyboard attached. The amazing thing is the tune he's playing...
it sounds very much like the opening chords of Strawberry Fields!! Have a listen and tell me what you think! I swear I'm not hearing things!

What you really notice is just what fantastic live performers they were - they really did put on a show! It's a shame John's Mic isn't working during their first appearance on the Ed sullivan Show - all you can hear is Paul.

We also get to see them relaxing and enjoying a night out at a club called the Peppermint Lounge (the home of the Twist!). This is also reminiscent of "A Hard Day's Night"! And afterwards, is that Paul trying to smuggle a girl under his coat back to the hotel room? Naughty boy!!

It is the first time that this footage has been officially released - it was originally shown back in the Sixties, and then re-discovered in the late Eighties and broadcast by Granada TV in England as "The Early Beatles". This DVD though contains a great deal more footage and bonus scenes.

It's so great to get a glimpse of what it was actually like to be in the eye of that hurricane. In the words of John, as they pull up oustside their hotel in a limo, surrounded by hundreds of screaming fans; "How do we get in then?"

Most of this is from the old forum, but some points are still being raised here so I thought I'd re-write some of it and post it here. Hope that's OK :)[/quote]its obvious that alan is a paul fan.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 06:42:28 AM »

I think John was bummed out because he was spending that time with Cynthia. I think he hated being married at that time. If you think about it, he has this wild, crazy thing happening around him and he couldnt indulge like the other three.

I need to pick this DVD up soon.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 03:44:35 PM »

[quote by=pc31 link=Blah.pl?b=films,m=1077380342,s=9 date=1079210578]its obvious that alan is a paul fan.

[/quote]

He wouldn't smuggle ME under his coat!!!! LOL ;)

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 02:43:43 PM »

Quote from: tkitna

I need to pick this DVD up soon.

yeah i wouldnt mind seeing that DVD

is that the title of the DVD ...the Beatles first US visit ?

Lenny Pane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 03:56:10 PM »

for gods sake D!ck... SHUT UP ! ::)

Soft_Guitar60

• Getting Better
  • surrender to the void
    • Beatlemania
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 12:00:46 PM »

Back to the topic

One question:
I don't understand what happened in the scene where Paul shouted "It was off the LP, our latest album", before they sang a song (I believe it was "All My Loving").

*LOL* Anyroad, it was a funny scene.

Bobber

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 10:54:46 AM »

Quote from: The_End

Where in the footage is this?

Tamara

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 03:46:07 PM »

I have watched this dvd recently and i really enjoyed it. But i can not remember John playing something you described.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 02:45:56 AM »

OK, this has taken me 15 hours to sort out!!!!! First I had to work out how to extract data from a protected DVD using a Mac - well to cut a VERY long story short, it is now 2:45am and I have only JUST managed to work it out!!

Anyway - here is a link to the clip - don't get TOO excited, you have to use your imagination a bit, but it definitely sounds like John is trying out the chords to Strawberry Fields Forever.

See what you think....

http://www.geocities.com/the_end_gb/dmforum/sff1964.html

Bobber

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 08:25:52 AM »

the page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 10:07:19 AM »

Sod it!!!! :(

I'll try and fix it tonight.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 81 queries.