Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: The ESQ&A: Keith Richards Explains Why Sgt. Pepper Was Rubbish  (Read 22673 times)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: The ESQ&A: Keith Richards Explains Why Sgt. Pepper Was Rubbish
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2015, 11:59:51 PM »

Mister M, I like your post and you make some very good points, the one point I have issue with is The Hollies being better than The Stones, I think The Stones wrote lots of hits in the 60's and beyond whereas The Hollies were never great writers and tended to release songs written by others like Graham Goldman (even The Beatles), this make them lesser artists in my eyes although I love their harmonies (which were copied by Allan Clarke and Graham Nash from The Everly Brothers) but they were hardly an original band.
The Kinks on the other hand were always original and one could argue that with You Really Got Me they 'invented' heavy distorted rock, they also wrote loads of hits (as many as The Stones) Ray was even a bit Beatleish in his writing, inventing people and places and writing about real places like Waterloo Station (every Friday night  :)), It could perhaps be said though that The Stones were a more exciting live act than either of them.

Hombre what you say is also very true.  ;)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2015, 12:31:04 AM »

No argument from me regarding the songwriting Kev - I've always maintained that Jagger & Richards are underrated in that department. Not in the same league as Lennon & McCartney of course - and I would rank the inventive Ray Davies above them - but yeah, Mick & Keith were good. I have to say that The Hollies did turn out a few self-penned winners ("Carrie Anne", "Stop Stop Stop", "On A Carousel" all written by Clarke, Hicks & Nash for example) but I'd have to agree they were largely reliant on other songwriters. But you're right about their sublime harmonies and don't forget I'm very much a vocals man, so most of the time I'd prefer to listen to their records than The Stones, who I still reckon couldn't sing!!!

That intangible quality of a crackling live act seems to be, as you say, where The Rolling Stones score - although I've never seen them live, I've watched televised concerts and for me they weren't as exciting on stage as The Who. But that's just me.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2015, 01:12:08 AM »

Yes Im a harmonies guy myself, love listening to The Hollies, America, CSN&Y, Moody Blues, Beach Boys etc and vocally Stones records dont stack up in that dept, I never could like Jaggers whiny voice and thats why Ive never been a Dylan fan.
I always thought the perfect front man for the Stones was Phil May of The Pretty Things, I liked his voice a lot.

Regarding The Who, same feeling as Jagger vocals Im afraid, I couldnt watch them live, I never held with smashing valuable instruments, a bridge too far for me.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2015, 01:44:44 AM »

The Beatles were the most important ingredient in 60's rock music, but they were not the only ingredient.

Ah, so you are saying they were The Main Ingredient? I always thought they were KLAATU!

! No longer available

Sorry, I saw an opening to post one of my favorite '70s era R&B/pop songs and I just couldn't pass it up!  :angel:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:46:45 AM by Fab4Fan »
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2015, 05:51:31 PM »

In Britain, and certainly London, I think there's a general sense that the act who have least transcended the 60s are The Beatles.

The comparative invisibility on the shop floor shelf compared to, say, Bowie, Dylan and The Rolling Stones, not really having helped to change this feeling.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2015, 09:08:45 PM »

Sorry, I saw an opening to post one of my favorite '70s era R&B/pop songs and I just couldn't pass it up!  :angel:

I'm glad you did! That's a favorite of mine, too, but I'd forgotten about it. I downloaded it as soon as I saw your post.  :)

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2015, 04:05:56 AM »

I'm glad you did! That's a favorite of mine, too, but I'd forgotten about it. I downloaded it as soon as I saw your post.  :)

I'm happy to have assisted with your musical memories!  Thanks for letting me know. :)
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2015, 10:38:40 PM »

At it again...

Sheesh. Go away already, Keith.

KelMar

« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2015, 11:03:43 PM »

Sheesh. Go away already, Keith.

He won't leave until every man, woman and child buys his new album. And maybe not even then.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2015, 12:26:30 AM »

At it again...

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/keith-richards-plenty-plenty-article-1.2346653

roll:)

new album publicity, get in the headlines with outlandish statements, mention new solo album

I cant be bothered clicking on that link
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2015, 02:53:11 PM »

He won't leave until every man, woman and child buys his new album.

I hope he's not holding his breath.   ha2ha

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2015, 02:46:27 AM »

I hope he's not holding his breath.   ha2ha

My ownership of Keith's solo output extends to Run Run Rudolph. Which I have on a Xmas playlist. I have no desire at all to expand my library. I think Keith is in his element in the Stones. It's where he's best experienced.  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Page created in 0.674 seconds with 67 queries.