Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: hey guyz  (Read 6028 times)

Ssarah

• A Thousand Pages
Re: hey guyz
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2005, 03:33:34 AM »

Sorry, my parents couldn't even buy a 700 dollar car let alone a drum set. Guess that made us a loser when it comes to instruments.
Beatle Ssarah on the forum,
Everyday she posts some more on.
Sometimes triv and sometimes questions,
Chooses tracks and lists the best uns!
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2005, 03:38:10 AM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm

That's the problem most parents make when their kid shows an interest in learning an instrument. They will buy their kid a cheap acoustic guitar that is impossible to play, the kid will get frustrated and that's the end of that, their interest is snuffed because they feel a failure. Drum sets are super expensive, even a 'cheap' kit, but if you want to promote your kids artistic side, you've got to support them with an instrument that is playable.

This is so true. If your going to take the time to buy your child something, or yourself even, get something thats worth using and will hold the interest. If you do buy that 700 to 1000 dollar set, it will at least hold some resale value if the person loses all interest. It has to be fun to play or its not worth it. Take it from experience, its not fun playing on a kit that has bungee chords holding the toms on (after the hardware broke and stripped), a pedal thats been welded several places and rattles and shakes like a teenager doing the twist, and cymbals that turn inside out when you hit them due to being so cheap. It sucks. I'm surprised I even kept with it.

(speaking of cymbals, the 700 or 1000 dollar kits i'm talking about dont come with cymbals. Good cymbals cost anywhere from 150 to 350 bucks a piece, so theres more cash.)

I'm sure this pertains to all instruments and hobbies.

Ssarah

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2005, 07:06:36 AM »

You guys must be made of money.

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2005, 10:48:29 PM »

Quote from: Ssarah
You guys must be made of money.

And you are a presumptive pinhead looking for sympathy. I didn't start out with a top of the line guitar and still don't have one, but it was playable, and I doubt Tkitna started out with a $15,000 drum set, and probably still doesn't have one. I resent you making stupid comments like that. I'm not made of money and just because you came from Sanford and Son's family doesn't earn any sympathy from me.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2005, 11:07:53 PM »

I bought a cheap acoustic guitar..It's not great..but what is impossible to play?!
Most people learn their craft by starting with something basic. That's what's so great.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't, even if I had the spare money.
 But It's just not the way I was brought up.
I think buying a really expensive instrument for a beginner is a tad stupid.

But with drum kits etc..well that could be totally different. I know nothing on the subject.

JF - stop with the personal jabs eh? SSarah might of came over with a strong opinion, but no reason to go on like you are.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2005, 12:29:55 AM »

Quote from: IndicaWalrus
I bought a cheap acoustic guitar..It's not great..but what is impossible to play?!
Most people learn their craft by starting with something basic. That's what's so great.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't, even if I had the spare money.
 But It's just not the way I was brought up.
I think buying a really expensive instrument for a beginner is a tad stupid.

But with drum kits etc..well that could be totally different. I know nothing on the subject.

JF - stop with the personal jabs eh? SSarah might of came over with a strong opinion, but no reason to go on like you are.

1). The action on most cheap acoustics is impossible for a beginner to play. The strings are wound tight and high off of the neck, making it very difficult when you are just starting. Its super painful for your fingertips and you are still getting used to the formation of the chords, etc.

2). Nobody said anything about buying a "really expensive instrument for a beginner". If anything is a "tad stupid", its your interpretation.

3). Personal jabs. MiSsss Ssarah preSssumptuously and incorrectly said that I must be made of money. That's not the case and its not my fault that her family couldn't afford a $700.00 car. Get off your cross Ssarah, someone else needs the wood. And Indicka, put on your precious little poseur sunglasses and don't tell me what to do.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2005, 02:07:28 AM »

Look in pawnshops.  I found an old Kay tenor guitar for $40.  It's probably worth about $250.  I hear JR about the action on some of the cheapies, but they're are some really cool cheap instruments out there.  I would start with a cheap nylon string guitar to learn and then move to steel.  Plenty of cheap beginners classicals out there.  Good drop-down sizes for kids.

There are some decent cheap electrics.  I used to rock on a Danelectro, but I had the bad habit of breaking necks.  Still, the thing was so cheap and sounded to retro cool, I'd just slap another neck on it.  

I was really lucky on a Martin D-18 that was made for Merle Travis.  His neice had inherited the thing (unused) with abalone trim and rosewood and was getting rid of it through a newspaper ad.  I got it for $500 (a while back), but it still sounds great.  Too bad Merle never touched it!

I don't know drums, but I pieced together a set with Rogers toms, a Ludwig kick drum (that was as solid as a rock) and a really cool slingerland snare from the 70s.  I dont play them, but they've been used in demo sessions.  I'd say I spend less than $500 for the lot.  

I think the main thing to do before buying an instrument is doing a little research.  Though a cheap playable learning guitar is fine, I ultimatley think it's better to find good gear used than buying new crap.  

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2005, 02:21:06 AM »

I went for a really nice, easy action Ovation copy by Academy before I bought my Custom Balladeer. I think it was about 150 pounds. The balladeer was 550. The thing is, that the balladeer (If well looked after) won't lose much in price and is a guitar hard to beat for what it does.

This one is a bit of a horses for courses and can only be interpreted by A) who's paying for it. B) Who's playing it. C) Does that instrument make you money.

All factors in the decision. A will to play is probably more important. lol
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2005, 02:23:14 AM »

Exactly, and the original point of this whole post was that it is important to get a nice playable instrument. I think the classical string idea is a great one because the strings are much lighter than the wound. The key is that the kid doesn't feel a failure because what he/she has got to work with is junk. I'm happy with my $150.00 Yamaha acoustic. Top line, no. Playable and affordable, yes.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2005, 03:16:22 AM »

One of these days I'm going to get an electric guitar... One of these days... *sigh*

My other two were really cheap, though, (grin) my acoustic is a hand-me-down from my cousin, and my classical was bought at a flea market for 10 euro.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2005, 10:41:04 AM »

My Acoustic was a really cheap Westfield.
The action is fine, has a decent sound, and with some new (but not expesnive strings) it plays any old ditty.

Oh, I'm wearing my shades as we speak. It's morning - not exactly sunny...but thought I'd wear em just for you Juniorsfarm... . .. . .
Not my fault your an old fart.

Indicka* very creative.

Or.

Not.

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2005, 12:12:21 PM »

Indicka--'Old Fart'. I guess I should be insulted or something. Right? I guess I'd rather be an 'Old Fart' than a poofy poseur.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2005, 04:45:00 PM »

Poofy? haha
I have nothing more to say, other than you're abit of a c*nt
Let's ignore each other from now on.
That will do me.

Ssarah

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2005, 04:52:57 PM »

Ahhh sounds like these people went the smart way and got something a little cheaper to start out with. It doesn't sound like they are discouraged and are going to stop playing either.

juniorsfarm--- You sound like someone from my highschool..
"Holy cow, what are you shoes? From walmart? You don't have NIKE's like me! You POSER!"

Sympathy? Heck no, I'm glad we didn't have money, it taught me not to go out and spend it like it grew on trees.

Listen... a ten year old won't give a sh*t what he plays on... You'll be able to tell if he's going to stick with it depending on how bad of a headache you have;)

If a 16 year old wants a high top drum set, well....if I can't afford it, I'll put in what I can and well, he/she can get a job!

Angus4lyfe

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2005, 08:22:06 PM »

bumperZZz

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late