Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Secret Santa CD's 2014  (Read 10503 times)

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
Re: Secret Santa CD's 2014
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2016, 04:24:19 PM »

So, I got Cor's CD yesterday and since then have finally settled in for a good, attentive listen to everybody's contributions – and WOW! - once again I'm blown away by the selections each one contains. I can honestly say I like every single track on each CD. Some resonate for me particularly better than others, but they're all good. One thing about me, I don't take as many opportunities as I could to pick up on newer artists and their works, so this CD exchange really lets me in on some great stuff that's happening, especially among younger artists. Kind of restores my faith in the state of the musical universe and where it's going from here. Anyway, the enlightenment is much appreciated. Now, some specific notes...

Todd's:

Some fave standouts for me include "Mr. Fairfax" "Sorry" (Easybeats are always entertaining) "I Live For The Sun" (something of an anthem here at The Old Melody Ranch), and "I Know Where I'm Going"

"Go Back" is a hoot to hear. I saw Crabby Appleton back in the day (that time that I mentioned before when The Steve Miller band stole the show from Spirit - Crabby was the opening act), and also have their recordings. But it's a nice reminder of how good they were. They should have had a bigger career.

A bit of  synchronicity here with the inclusion of Jack White's "I'm Shakin'" since I have a The White Stripes track on my CD. I recently completed my Stripes collection and am eager to take that in.

Like George, I'm thoroughly impressed by The Grip Weeds and hope to start a collection of their work. You mentioned their Beatle-ish tone, but I also hear a number of other 60's type influences in the music. I was often put in mind of The Who, especially with that excellent drumming. Really good stuff.

George's:

Again, every track is a winner. Some highlights for me: "Hand In Mine" "Prisms" "The Moment" "Arabella" and "Girl In A Box" (kind of dark and quirky, but that suits my sensibilities just fine)

Nice to see ZZ Top represented, and our own bit of synchronicity is here with "Wear You Out" since I included a track by Buddy Guy myself. My favorite contemporary blues man.

I also very much enjoyed Architecture In Helsinki's piece. I'd heard them before but now I'm motivated to collect all their stuff.

The bonus disk is also great, and I have renewed enthusiasm for those groups.

A wonderful collection.

Cor's:

Same as the others, each track a treat. Such a wide array of styles and moods represented. Some especially enjoyable cuts for me are "You Picked Me" (everybody's choice of opening tracks were superb) "Lover You Should've Come Over" (very moving) "Waterfall" and "Still Loving After You"

"Black-Eyed" really stood out for me too. I have been a Placebo fan ever since I heard their brilliant cover of "Running Up That Hill" some years ago. I definitely need to expand my collection of their albums.

I will be enjoying this set often.

I guess in comparison to these relatively newer recordings, my choices are rather retrospective. But that is by design, as I like to pay homage to the past. I did, however, include a number tracks released within the past year or so. Remember the wisdom of Lao Tzu.

Thanks again, guys. Your efforts are much appreciated.

As with last year, if anyone would like to download a copy of my set just PM me and I'll send the link. I wouldn't post it here now for fear of copyright infringement issues with the forum.

Peace.

icon_cool

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2016, 06:30:25 PM »

Jim, as I listen to more music by the Grip Weeds, I hear echoes of The Beatles, The Who and The Byrds.  It all comes together nicely.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2016, 06:31:17 PM »

I hope Jim's CD comes today.  C'mon Post Office!

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2016, 07:25:21 PM »

I failed to mention that I LOVE their "The Inner Light". Great energy in an already upbeat tune. Made me want to get up and move. I didn't, but I wanted to.

I can always give you a link to download the tunes. I hope I didn't mess up the labeling on the packet. I don't think so, though.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2016, 10:10:41 PM »

Jim, your CD came today.  I haven't listened yet, but the cover was worth the wait!   ;D

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2016, 10:51:56 PM »

Heh. Glad you like that. Something kind of...took over there. But, of course, the music's the thing. Enjoy!

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2016, 10:53:30 PM »

I'm listening now in the man cave with couple of cold ones.  I'm loving what I'm hearing so far.  Life is good.

KelMar

« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2016, 02:11:28 AM »

^^^
Aww, now this is nice!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2016, 08:20:03 PM »

Still digesting Klangs CD's.   ha2ha  Theres a lot of music there and I only have a short list now.  Give me another day or so before I give some opinions.  Outstanding stuff though and many are making the cut.

Still havent gotten Cors yet.

Bobber

« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2016, 12:47:30 PM »

Still digesting Klangs CD's.   ha2ha  Theres a lot of music there and I only have a short list now.  Give me another day or so before I give some opinions.  Outstanding stuff though and many are making the cut.

Still havent gotten Cors yet.

It seems that Germany is closer to The Netherlands than the USA.  :laugh:

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2016, 10:42:26 PM »

Cor's CD came today, so Friday night listening is planned.

By the way Cor, I received The Common Linnent's second album "II" yesterday.  U.S. Amazon wanted $36 for it.  I bought it from an Amazon seller in Germany for half that.

I've listened twice.  It's really good.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2016, 10:38:35 PM »

Cor, I can't identify the bonus tracks on your CD.  Both my media players don't recognize the metadata on the CD.

The first bonus track sounds like Tears For Fears.
I have no idea about the second bonus track.

I love the CD.  I haven't heard "Handbags and Gladrags" since the Rod Stewart original years ago.

The Radiohead song is excellent.

Bobber

« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2016, 08:27:24 AM »

The first bonus track sounds like Tears For Fears.
I have no idea about the second bonus track.

1. No, it's not Tears For Fears, but in style this band is not far away. Look for an album with Summer's Cauldron on it.
2. I'm not sure if this band is very well known in the USA. Don't think so. A connection with This Mortal Coil.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2016, 03:20:23 AM »

Got Cors CD yesterday.  Havent had anytime to listen to it though.  Review of a few of my favorites from Klangs collection coming up tomorrow because I dont have the artists in front of me.  Good stuff.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2016, 05:00:32 AM »

Some favorites from Jim's CD as follows.

"Wishing Well" - Maggie Bell  (I never liked this song before because I've only heard it by Free and it did nothing for me.  This version is awesome.  I love her raspy vocals and the guitar just sets it over the top.  Love it.)

"I Enjoy Being A Boy" - The Banana Splits (I like this song more than I probably should.  ha2ha   I don't know but I dig this kind of stuff and its become an earworm lately.  Bass is killer.)

"You Sure Know How To Hurt Someone"  Ann Margaret (Who knew?  I love the background vocals in this song and the guitar riff.  It has a great groove to it.)

"Head Over Heels" - JD McPherson (Makes me tap my toes.  The song has a fuzz bass I think.  Maybe not but its distorted and I like it.  Great party tune.)

"Bubblegum" - Kim Fowley (Great guitar sound and love the organ.  Awesome solo in the middle too.  Just nice psych that's in your face.  Love it.)

"Going To The Country" - Steve Miller Band (Was a big favorite at the get together and for good reason.  I wasn't familiar with it, but its bad ass.  Great guitar, fiddle, and Steves smooth voice.  Everbody got off on it.)

There's just so much here that I'm like a kid in a candy store.  I enjoy everything. There's jazz, blues, rock, comedy,,,,,,just to much to list.  Incredible job Jim.  Between yours and Georges CD's, I count myself very lucky this year.  Now I have to start listening to Cors.  Lol.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2016, 06:30:36 AM »

Glad you liked so many tunes. I think my idea was to make it very diverse so that there was something for everyone, hopefully. I like a lot of different styles of music myself, so that was pretty easy to do.

Maggie Bell is a hoot. We lost her too soon. But yea, a unique style and she could really belt them out.

The Banana Splits are one of those guilty pleasures that are hard to admit to in certain company, but the music takes me back to a particular time that I really enjoy thinking about. Kind of simplistic, but pleasantly so.

JD McPherson is one of my top favorite relatively new artists. Both 'Head Over Heels' and "Shy Boy' are from his latest release, 'Let the Good Times Roll' - and I like every track on that album. I heartily recommend it.

Kim Fowley is classic psych. 'Nuff said.

Both Steve Miller Band tracks are from their 'Number 5' album, my fave. Love most of that one. It was a great period for the band, post-hippiedom and pre-commercialdom. Anyway, some great tunes on that one too.

Well, again, very happy you like it. Mission accomplished.

Bobber

« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2016, 01:39:19 PM »

I started with Jim's cd. I wish I hadn't. It is a lot.  ;D

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2016, 01:53:09 PM »

Small bites. Think of it as a great buffet table, enjoying what you will but leaving room for more later.

:P

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2016, 10:01:28 PM »

Small bites. Think of it as a great buffet table, enjoying what you will but leaving room for more later.

:P

That's exactly how I think of yours, Jim-a huge buffet that I can return to again and again.

I love the jazz numbers you've included also.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2016, 04:01:55 PM »

Yea, that's it. I only included so many tracks because I could. I got to thinking (an event in itself), since I'm taking the time to select, burn, and ship out these tunes, why not include as many as possible? So that's what I did. Never meant to be a single session listen. Take them in a hunk at a time. We've got all the time in the world (fingers crossed).

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 78 queries.