Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Plastic Ono Band vs. Imagine  (Read 6054 times)

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
Plastic Ono Band vs. Imagine
« on: September 16, 2006, 10:04:16 PM »

These two albums are considered John's most important works as a solo artist.  You can tell from both of these works that he was on a roll after the Beatles deteriorated into history (in a great way, of course).  What strikes me about both albums is that they're both so different -- the former is very raw, the latter far more produced.

Which of these albums do you feel is the superior one?

I'll give this one to Imagine.  After giving the albums some listens lately, I'd say Imagine is far more consistant than POB.  Although POB shows Lennon in his rawest and one of his most passionate forms, he's one of those truly resonant singers that never sings if he doesn't truly, deeply mean it.  His screams in Mother really caught me off guard after relistening to this song after a couple years, and I'd probably give it the title as the best on the album, but I'm partial toward Imagine.

Is Imagine a bit lighter? Overall, the sum is definitely lighter than POB, and you never get the kind of darker cries that you would from POB, but he still sings from his heart.  Imagine is in his Top 2 Lennon songs in my book (next to Just Like Starting Over), his stabs at McCartney are set to such a terrific melody, his attack at politicians is extremely heated... it's great! I'd say Oh Yoko is the weakest song on the album, and though the lyrics are silly, the melody is still pretty good.

So Imagine wins this one for me.  What about you?

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
Re: Plastic Ono Band vs. Imagine
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 02:00:35 AM »

I'm gonna have to go woth POB, I think its a great album and his best one. In my opinion 'Imagine' is overrated.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 10:15:32 AM »

Imagine.

it is 'lighter'.

Wayne L.

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 02:50:21 PM »

That's what I call a hard poll because both of these are John's solo masterpieces which are above all his other solo albums.  I voted for John Lennon Plastic Ono Band because it's the greatest solo album by any former Beatle.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 05:32:51 PM »

Quote from: 395
That's what I call a hard poll because both of these are John's solo masterpieces which are above all his other solo albums.  I voted for John Lennon Plastic Ono Band because it's the greatest solo album by any former Beatle.

i agree they're both pretty damn good, so i couldn't decide what's genrally best either..i guess on some days POB's my favourite and on others it's imagines 'simpler' quality, at the moment its imagine  :)

SallyG

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 06:04:50 PM »

Jesus. Is there any question? Give me a break.

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 06:10:40 PM »

well what do you think's best? :-/ some people think both are equally good

SallyG

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 01:41:47 AM »

'Plastic Ono Band' without a doubt. 'Imagine' has alot of good material, but POB is a masterpiece. Some people don't like heavy, heartfelt music--they like the 'lighter' stuff. I like the heavier stuff, I guess. I'm a dour bastard I suppose. "The Wall'' was my bible through most of high school and college. Doesn't mean I'm deep or whatever, but I'll take "Mother" (either one) over "Oh Yoko" any day.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 02:33:33 AM »

true, mother is a great song and The wall but comparing POB to Imagine is like comparing Dark Side Of The Moon to The Wall. Both are great albums and both are different sides of the spectrum. can you choose which you like better? well, its possible but would you really want to place one higher than the other?

if forced to, i'd pick Imagine and The Wall but i could go either way at anytime ;D
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

SallyG

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 03:30:54 AM »

True. Again, that's the beauty of music, art, authors (I suppose John was the Trifecta), but in MY humble little, probably meaningless opinion, POB doesn't have one throwaway. Each song is excellent in it's own way, even the 48 second--or whatever it is--'My Mummy's Dead'. Each song is poignant and just dripping.

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 04:32:29 AM »

Woah woah woah, a little unfair comparing Mother to Oh! Yoko.  But I get your gist.

I don't think either album has a throwaway song, but I can't say that Imagine is anything but consistant -- not one bad song at all.  I'd take most on it over Love, for instance.  And it has its share of heavier or more hard-hitting stuff in the vain of Crippled Inside, Gimme Some Truth, I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier, and How Do You Sleep?

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 05:27:22 PM »

you proberly think i'm mad but i like or prefer listening to 'oh yoko' over 'mother' for some reason, i can't dig it enough, where oh yoko's a nice light tune i'll listen to any time.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 02:34:52 AM »

I chose RAM.

Wayne L.

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 06:24:25 PM »

Quote from: 100
'Plastic Ono Band' without a doubt. 'Imagine' has alot of good material, but POB is a masterpiece. Some people don't like heavy, heartfelt music--they like the 'lighter' stuff. I like the heavier stuff, I guess. I'm a dour bastard I suppose. "The Wall'' was my bible through most of high school and college. Doesn't mean I'm deep or whatever, but I'll take "Mother" (either one) over "Oh Yoko" any day.

I think Plastic Ono Band & Imagine are equally great Lennon masterpieces, but JLPOB is the greatest solo album by a former Beatle & heavy, heartfelt music is right.  

SallyG

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 06:57:32 PM »

Absolutely. It's all a matter of opinion. If someone likes 'Imagine' over POB, God Bless 'em, but to me POB is flawless (even with it's flaws) and the best solo album.

JudeRigby

• One And One Is Two
  • Anima Mundi
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 01:42:06 AM »

I'd have to really think about this one and analyze before making a "in my mind" valid assertion.
                         &

joan was quizzical

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 05:23:54 AM »

Whoa, why all the bashing of "Oh! Yoko"? I actually love that song!! I know it's really simply and kind of cheesy, but it always puts a little dance in my step and makes me happy!

I think I'd choose Imagine actually. Although I think I'd have to think about it more... They both mean so much to me.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 03:30:21 PM »

POB, if for nothing else than its originality.
don't follow leaders

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 07:09:11 PM »

WITHOUT DOUBT P.O.B . IS ONE GREATEST ALBUMS EVER MADE, PURE JOHN LENNON GENIUS . ITS GOT TO BE P.O.B    ;D
Wallflower Has Blossomed

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 08:46:24 PM »

i would say imagine....but lets look at the songs
1. Mother
2. Hold On
3. I Found Out
4. Working Class Hero
5. Isolation
6. Remember
7. Love
8. Well Well Well
9. Look at Me
10. God
11. My Mummy's Dead
12. Power to the People
13. Do the Oz

1. Imagine  
2. Crippled Inside  
3. Jealous Guy  
4. It's So Hard  
5. I Don't Wanna Be a Soldier  
6. Gimme Some Truth  
7. Oh My Love  
8. How Do You Sleep?  
9. How?  
10. Oh Yoko!  

he is more bitter on imagine and kind wimpy on pob....he sounds better as angry john i think.....for him to do imagine after all he had been thru and still share honestly was a feat in itself...
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 84 queries.