Other music forums > Various Artists, Lyrics, Discographies

Classic 60's songs: Waterloo Sunset

(1/6) > >>

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:
"Waterloo Sunset" is a beautiful ballad by the Kinks, perhaps the most acclaimed song written by Ray Davies. It was released as a single in May 1967, being well received in UK, where it reached #2. However, Americans seemed to have lost interest in the band at that point, since the single did not chart in US. Nevertheless, the song was a top 10 hit in several countries from Europe and Oceania. The lyrics reflect the point of view of a lonely narrator describing two lovers and the common paradise they found by gazing on Waterloo sunset. Musically, the song is as melodic as a ballad could be and includes some of the best backing vocals the group has ever recorded. An unforgettable gem from the unforgettable 60's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpL4xbfmXlQ

tkitna:
Great song, but I do feel its a tad overrated.  It gets labelled as their masterpiece and I dont feel it reaches those levels.

Moogmodule:
I love this one. Always have. I didn't realise how late it was released though. Sonically I'd have placed it around 1965.  Regardless, the melody is gorgeous and Ray Davies had his talent for lucid, real-life lyrics on full display.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:

--- Quote from: tkitna on February 25, 2017, 08:43:11 PM ---Great song, but I do feel its a tad overrated.  It gets labelled as their masterpiece and I dont feel it reaches those levels.

--- End quote ---

I tend to agree with the spirit of your words, not because I think this song is overrated but because I think other songs by the Kinks are underrated in comparison.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:

--- Quote from: Moogmodule on February 25, 2017, 09:00:20 PM ---I love this one. Always have. I didn't realise how late it was released though. Sonically I'd have placed it around 1965.  Regardless, the melody is gorgeous and Ray Davies had his talent for lucid, real-life lyrics on full display.

--- End quote ---

Yes, in the late-60's the Kinks were not up to date in terms of revolutionary sound. They occasionally had slight touches of psychedelia. It's not a surprise that a wonderful album like The Village Green Preservation Society resulted to be unsuccessful in 1968, needing time to get the deserved recognition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version