Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What inspired you to pick up an instrument?  (Read 1857 times)

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
What inspired you to pick up an instrument?
« on: October 07, 2006, 04:22:14 AM »

I play Bass guitar, I have a VB Rogue bass. I've been playing for about 5 months, I got a great feel for my bass ever since I started playing. My teacher says I have talent, I hope he is saying that because he means it and not to just boost my confidence and saying it to keep me coming back. I would say that maybe I am pretty good, because on my first week of playing I learned 'Let me roll it-Wings' and 'Dig a Pony'. I also asked him tuesday if he thinks I'm ready to play with other people even though I've only been playing for five months and said he does think I'm ready to play with other people and explained to me where to find people and what its like to play with other people. I'm guessing he does think I'm good if he thinks I'm ready to play with others and told me how to find other people. He wouldn't throw me out into a den of lions without having confidence in my skills.

Anyways, the idea of picking up bass guitar came from when I first started listening to The Beatles. At first my favorite beatle was Paul because his music in The beatles appealed to me, then it was George who bacame my favorite. I loved 'Old brown shoe' and just absolutely loved the bassline on it. Then I started watching the Let it be movie and listening to the album a lot. I thought Paul was so cool in the movie and loved his violin bass guitar in it. Around that time Paul became my favorite beatle again and still is to this day(as you can see from my avatar and sig). So in february of 2005 I bought tickets to Paul's US tour. So I waited six months for that concert which was September 16, 2005 in Miami(the first of the tour). So during the six months I became obsessed with the Let it be movie and album. Then I came up with the crazy idea of actually getting a guitar like Paul's. My family didn't believe me at first and thought it was a dumb idea. I had a pretty crappy job at the time so a hofner was out of the question. I looked around the internet and saw Musician friend was selling its own brand name Violin bass for 200 bucks.

I was undecided whether I should get it and even started a few threads on this forum whether I should get a bass guitar or an electric guitar. So September 16, 2005 rolls around and I still didn't buy the guitar. I went to the concert and had the best time of my life and was just so amazed by it. It was about a week later that I bought the bass guitar because I saw Paul in concert and decided thats what I wanted to do. I've always loved the deep sound of bass even before I got into The Beatles. So I got it in september and didn't actually get lessons until the beginning of June 2006. So basically Paul was the inspiration behind my getting into bass playing. I'm a great admirer of Paul both in The Beatles and in Wings and hope to reach his level of awesomness.

I would love to hear everyone elses inspiration behind getting into the instrument they play. If you don't play an instrument and just love to sing, then I'd love to hear why you got into singing too.

lennon-legend

• Getting Better
  • Imagine...
Re: What inspired you to pick up an instrument?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 02:29:48 AM »

-what got me into rock music : the Beatles, the most talented band ever
-what made me pick up a guitar : hearing Van Halen's "Eruption" and saying to myself " That's f'n amazing! "

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 06:20:22 PM »

Anyone know any websites that I could order some 'Hofner 511B 'Staple' humbucking pickups' from? or at least a distributor of any pickups that sound similar to that 60's sound?

A huge task - I know...
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 04:23:05 AM »

Rubber Soul...........guitar
I can stay till it's time to go

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 02:31:46 PM »

Nothing in particulair. As far as I can think back, I've always been fascinated with music... And there has never been a doubt in my mind that one day I'd learn to play the guitar. Once I knew how to do that I learned how to play bass guitar and drums as well, just to see if I could do that too.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 02:53:40 PM »

To write songs. And after thirty years of trying, and having come up with only two that rise above mediochre, I've surrended. I'm more Starkey than Lennon/McCartney.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 03:01:12 PM »

Quote from: 185
To write songs. And after thirty years of trying, and having come up with only two that rise above mediochre, I've surrended. I'm more Starkey than Lennon/McCartney.

Maybe you should try and co-operate with a great lyricist with a bright future ahead.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 03:13:13 PM »

Quote from: 63

Maybe you should try and co-operate with a great lyricist with a bright future ahead.

;D
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 03:40:53 PM »

People are going to laugh at me but it was Avril Lavigne. She was my favorite singer when I was 13 (I still like her, but Joan Baez is now my absolute favorite) and I just thought, "Wow, look at this cool rock chick, writing songs and playing guitar. I want to be like her." And the rest, as they say, is history.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 05:50:09 AM »

Seeing The Scorpions / Bon Jovi in concert. Pittsburgh, 1984, 6 days before I turned 15. Next day, picked up my brother's old guitar , and here I am. Listening to Beatles since I was 4-5 ,Thanx to another  older brother.  :)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 08:21:24 AM »

I was going to marry Neil Young. See, I would become this great guitar player, and he would see me at one of his concerts, and fall in love with me, and I would bear his love child, and then I would join his band. At 15, I had it all worked out.

You asked.

Having said that, I LOVE the fact that I learned to play! It has continued to give me such pleasure over the years, even though I quickly learned I would never have the chops for lead. I just strum and sing. So thank you, Neil. It all worked out after all. :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Page created in 0.776 seconds with 65 queries.