Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Before they were Beatles  (Read 2304 times)

Bobber

Before they were Beatles
« on: October 03, 2005, 08:38:18 AM »

Found this:

Before They Were Beatles - Review
By Robert Rouse
September 29, 2005

I just finished reading Alan J. Porter's incredible little book about the teen years of four young men who would one day take the world by storm. "Before They Were Beatles" goes where most books on the Beatles rarely go. We get an intimate look into the teen years of John, Paul, George, and yes, even Ringo as they grow up in 1950s era Liverpool.

While some of the information has been in print before, primarily Hunter Davies, who was the Beatles' official biographer. The major difference is, this time we get to hear it right from the mouths of the people who grew up with the Fab Four, especially, Rod Davis.

Without going into details, I can say the book moves along at a different pace from other Beatle books. Porter has done a wonderful job of putting the reader right into the thick of the Liverpudlian atmosphere. At times you can almost feel the breath of John Lennon on your neck as he reads over your shoulder.

It took me some time before I was able to actually sit down and read the book. I had planned on taking it with me on my recent trip to Washington, but it ended up staying at home on my desk instead of in my backpack. However, once I started reading, I found I was unable to stop, except for brief periods to take care of the kids, eat dinner or . . . well, life's other little callings, but, I came right back to this slice of life.

I also have to give Porter credit for trying his best to make sure the book moved along in chronological order and the way he ended the book with a where are they now section. While all of us know about the Fab Four, most might not know about people like Colin, Len and Eric.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Re: Before they were Beatles
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 11:45:52 AM »

Sounds very interesting! :)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 02:46:23 PM »

Nice...Looks good.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 12:38:57 AM »

what did you see????ha ha...it does sound great.thanks for the review...

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 03:32:42 PM »

Sounds interesting, although I'm not usually into early days biographies cause all they talk about is all the sex they had in Hamburg. Yes, there were lots of prostiutes there. Yes. We get it.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 02:40:43 PM »

Amazon reviews:

Before They Were Beatles: The Early Years: 1956-1960, May 13, 2004
Reviewer: Raymond F. Feighery (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Before they were Beatles is a wonderful exploration of the early (Primarily Teen) years of the Fab Four and those that encountered them. Mr. Porter's dedication to gathering accurate facts is obvious throughout the book.
Rather being a boring "History" book however, the reader is drawn into the lives of the young men as they strive to hone their craft. Interspersed Quotes allow the reader to "Be There" as it's happening essentially participating in the events.
The "Where are they now" section is particularly enjoyable.

This is ultimately a must have for any Beatles fan or student of music and popular culture.

Beatle-Mania Explored!, March 31, 2004
Reviewer: Cassidy Patton (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews
Before They Were Beatles: The Early Years: 1956-1960 by Alan Porter is an amazing chronological exploration of the way the "Fab Four" formed. Porter's extensive love and dedication to conveying the lives of the Beatles before they were, in fact, Beatles is enthralling and fascinating. England native, Porter, instantly draws his readers into the history, geography, and background of Paul, John, Ringo, and George in a way that is unobtrusive yet engaging. Each year has been extensively researched and documents they unique way the boys came together to form the world-wide phenomenon they became. Porter is thoughtful, thorough, and thrilling in his expose of the lives of the rising stars. It is a book that appeals to many and would be a much welcomed additioned to any library.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 10:59:43 AM »

dang you posted the on me birfdaze........sorry i have been living on sponge mind......i think i dropped an i q ........has anyone fount it?i may need a lost i q topic..........i will go delete 4 eyed paulie then......

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 02:40:29 AM »

Sounds Great!Just bought Shout ! for like, 7.00 U.S.D!!!!!!!!! 8)

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 08:25:46 AM »

Anybody got this 'Before They Were Beatles' book?

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 53 queries.