Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dennis Wilson  (Read 9072 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: Dennis Wilson
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 08:39:52 AM »

Quote from: 1333
Joost, may I ask you, why are you more of a fan of the Beach Boys than the Beatles?

Uhm, why are you more a fan of the Beatles than the Beach Boys?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 08:51:51 AM »

No, seriously... It's hard to explain why you like one thing better than the other thing. Why do some guys like blondes while others prefer brunettes? Why do some people like their fries with mayonaise and some people with ketchup?

I just like the richness and the warmth of the Beach Boys' music. And vocally, the Beatles were definately no match for the Beach Boys.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 02:41:32 PM »

I think you can be bonkers about more than one band or solo artist , i'm just as crazy about David Bowie and Kate Bush as i am The Beatles .

Bungalow Bill

• A Beginning
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 04:03:46 PM »

I picked the deluxe vinyl up and it's incredible.. i am so glad i was born in a time when someone in their infinite wisdom deemed this a suitable reissue out of desperation to save a dying business model :D
<br /><br />The All Knower of 1 Second Song Clips

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 05:48:50 PM »

Dave, about the reissue of the Dennis Wilson book... I asked Jon Stebbins (the writer) about it on a Beach Boys forum:

We're still working on the revised and expanded edition. It should be ready by late summer. Anyone who wants to reserve a copy can leave their contact info here.... www.therealbeachboy.com

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 05:52:50 PM »

I'm glad I had this forum to check out. Now I KNOW it's a good album. I may have to pick it up myself when I hae the cash.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 08:42:31 PM »

YEAH!!, i got it!! and what a brilliant set it is, the album is remasterd beautifully, and the
bonus disc (caribou sessions) is just fantastic! i really love the unreleased 'Only With You'.
one of my ultimate fav Dennis Wilson songs! it's amazing i would even go to say that
Dennis had the best solo voice out of all of them, he had this beautiful tone! At last this
un-reconized Beach Boy gets his genius noticed and i'm really pleased with the chart entry! :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2008, 05:43:11 AM »

Quote from: 56
Dave, about the reissue of the Dennis Wilson book... I asked Jon Stebbins (the writer) about it on a Beach Boys forum:

Thanks Joost for this info

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2008, 06:18:34 AM »

I picked up a copy of "Sunflower" and i love it , it's a beautiful album .
It's an album i'm going to be playing a great deal . Think all the songs are really strong and the singing is so magical .
Also got "Two Lane Black-Top" which when i watched it , i rememberd i had seen it on the BBC , when they did a cult movie season . It's a very good film , with a great soundtrack and the acting from all the cast is great (smile)

Thanks Joost and Andy for pointing me in the direction of "Sunflower" (flower)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2008, 09:08:54 PM »

Quote from: 971
Thanks Joost and Andy for pointing me in the direction of "Sunflower" (flower)

glad to be of help DaveRam!  ;)
some of the most beautiful songs ever are on Sunflower, specially Our Sweet Love,
Forever & the fantastic Cool Cool Water! i think it's up there with Pet Sounds!  :)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2008, 09:13:46 AM »

I think that Pet Sounds was Brian Wilson's masterpiece, but Sunflower was the masterpiece of the Beach Boys as a real group.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2008, 09:45:02 AM »

Quote from: 56
I think that Pet Sounds was Brian Wilson's masterpiece, but Sunflower was the masterpiece of the Beach Boys as a real group.

One of my first thoughts on hearing  "Sunflower" Joost was this is a great group effort . Really like this album i get to the end and play it straight again .
I've yet to play "Surf's Up" .
Favourite songs are Slip On Through , This Whole World , It's All About Time , All I wanna Do , Forever and Cool Cool Water .

(smile)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2008, 10:36:31 AM »

One of my first thoughts on hearing  "Sunflower" Joost was this is a great group effort .

Yeah. I think Dennis and Bruce both peaked as songwriters on this album and Brian was still doing excellent work as well.

"Surf's Up" also has some great songs.

Opener "Don't Go Near The Water" isn't that good actually. Just the group trying to get on the 'Save the planet' bandwagon that had actually passed a couple of years earlier. "Long Promised Road" is excellent, surely one of Carl's best compositions. Maybe that doesn't say much since he wasn't nearly as brilliant a songwriter as his brothers (listen to his two dreadful solo albums for evidence), but this is a pretty great song. "Take a Load of Your Feet" isn't a great work of art, but it's charming. Notice how Brian starts the song and how Al takes over after the first chorus with an almost perfect imitation of Brian (Al had to do that often as Brian by this time often didn't bother to finish what he started - it's remarkable how well Al could imitate Brian as he was the only band member besides Bruce who wasn't related to Brian). "Disney Girls (1957)" is one of Bruce's best songs. Mama Cass and Art Garfunkel covered this song. "Student Demonstration Time" is a new version of an old Leiber & Stoller song ("Riot at Cell Block #9") and is one of the worst songs the Beach Boys ever recorded. This loud and noisy protest song doesn't suit the group at all. "Feel Flows" is one of Carl's few other great compositions. Al's haunting "Looking At Tomorrow" is IMO one of the most underrated songs in the entire Beach Boys discography. "A Day In The Life Of A Tree" is just like "Take A Load Off Your Feet" not a great work of art but still charming. Brian tricked the group's manager Jack Rieley into singing it (telling him it was just a guide vocal) because he thought that Jack, more than anyone else, sounded like he thought a wounded tree would if it could sing! "'Til I Die" is probably the last truely great Brian Wilson composition. The group at first didn't want to record it as they thought it didn't fit their positive, sunny image. A great 'extended mix' is available on the compilation "Endless Harmony". And "Surf's Up" is definately one of the greatest songs the Beach Boys ever recorded. It was supposed to be on "Smile". Carl created this hybrid of original "Smile" sections and newly recorded parts. The first section is a 1971 Carl Wilson vocal (recorded in Brian's house - Brian refused to do the vocal and chose to stay in bed) over a finished 1966/1967 backing track, the second and third section are 1966/1967 recordings of just Brian's vocal and piano with 1971 instrumental and vocal overdubs.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2008, 09:02:35 PM »

i struggle with Surf's Up as an album but i agree it has some gems on there. the title track itself
was written a few years before around Smile. my fav one on Surf's Up is Till I Die, (AMAZING VOCALS!,
it gets me every time i listen to it!)  :)
Bruce Johnston was the unknown Beach Boy & a brilliant songwriter & arranger too. Disney Girls proves this
& a track he did called The Nearest Faraway Place, which appears on the 20/20 album.  :)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2008, 10:11:03 AM »

Quote from: 614
Bruce Johnston was the unknown Beach Boy & a brilliant songwriter & arranger too.

The ironic thing though is that Bruce is the only Beach Boy who ever won a Grammy for Song of the Year... (he wrote Barry Manilow's "I Write The Songs").

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2008, 10:23:51 AM »

I don't like the first song at all on " Surf's Up " - "Don't Go Near The Water " is one of the worst lead off tracks i've ever heard , the rest of the album is not to bad , i need to listen to it a few more times .

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2008, 05:39:55 PM »

I don't like the first song at all on " Surf's Up " - "Don't Go Near The Water " is one of the worst lead off tracks i've ever heard , the rest of the album is not to bad , i need to listen to it a few more times .

I don't like the song very much either, but I do love how it accidentally works so well on the Sunflower/Surf's Up two-fer CD. It comes directly after Sunflower's closing track, "Cool, Cool Water". So first you have a mellow, peaceful tribute to water, followed by an environmental song about polluted oceans.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2008, 05:42:26 PM »

Oh, by the way... I got the POB re-issue on vinyl today... Looks pretty cool... The cover is exactly the same as the original one (except that it's now a three part instead of a two part gatefold) and all three LPs are on dark blue vinyl. And they included a 'thank you' note in Dennis's handwriting, which I thought was a pretty cool addition...

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2008, 10:42:23 PM »

i almost 4got they called themselves the pendletones till i was looking for info on the don't back down song listed as don't break down on all summer long.....they grit their teeth they don't back down.....http://www.funtrivia.com/en/Music/Beach-Boys-1702.html

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2008, 10:48:43 PM »

oof!!!! i like what they released instead...
R8cvH5hcpGU
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 81 queries.