Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: MOTOWN  (Read 38593 times)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
Re: MOTOWN
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2011, 09:38:42 PM »

Here's one from BRENDA HOLLOWAY!

a motown classic- brenda holloway- till johnny comes

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2011, 09:49:12 PM »

Here's one from DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES!

Little Bright Star - Diana Ross & The Supremes (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #142 on: December 26, 2011, 02:30:48 AM »

Since we have added soul artists from different record labels other than Motown here in this thread, why not add the Queen of Soul ARETHA FRANKLIN!

Aretha Franklin - Respect [1967] (Original version)

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #143 on: December 26, 2011, 04:36:09 AM »

KelMar

« Reply #144 on: December 27, 2011, 02:35:43 AM »

1986: 29 years after its first appearance in the Top Ten, and three years after his untimely death, Jackie Wilson's "Reet Petite" climbs all the way to #1 in the UK.

"Written by Berry Gordy and Tyran Carlo, a pseudonym of Jackie's cousin Billy Davis,[1] and produced by Dick Jacobs, the song is one of the classics of rock and roll music. Taking the title from the Louis Jordan song "Reet, Petite and Gone", this was Jackie Wilson's first recording as a solo artist. The song peaked at #62 on the Billboard Hot 100 in September 1957 and reached #6 on the UK singles chart. With the success of the song, Gordy was able to fund the launch of Motown Records.

The song was reissued in 1986 following the showing of a clay animation video on the BBC Two documentary series Arena. The reissued version proved so popular that in December 1986, almost three years after Wilson's death, the song became a #1 in the UK for four weeks. This held the record for the longest time between a song's debut on the chart and it finally reaching number one (29 years, 1 month, 11 days) until it was overtaken by Tony Christie's "(Is This the Way to) Amarillo" in 2005."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reet_Petite

jackie wilson reet petite

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:39:10 AM by In My Life »

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #145 on: December 27, 2011, 03:56:44 AM »

1986: 29 years after its first appearance in the Top Ten, and three years after his untimely death, Jackie Wilson's "Reet Petite" climbs all the way to #1 in the UK.

"Written by Berry Gordy and Tyran Carlo, a pseudonym of Jackie's cousin Billy Davis,[1] and produced by Dick Jacobs, the song is one of the classics of rock and roll music. Taking the title from the Louis Jordan song "Reet, Petite and Gone", this was Jackie Wilson's first recording as a solo artist. The song peaked at #62 on the Billboard Hot 100 in September 1957 and reached #6 on the UK singles chart. With the success of the song, Gordy was able to fund the launch of Motown Records.

The song was reissued in 1986 following the showing of a clay animation video on the BBC Two documentary series Arena. The reissued version proved so popular that in December 1986, almost three years after Wilson's death, the song became a #1 in the UK for four weeks. This held the record for the longest time between a song's debut on the chart and it finally reaching number one (29 years, 1 month, 11 days) until it was overtaken by Tony Christie's "(Is This the Way to) Amarillo" in 2005."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reet_Petite

jackie wilson reet petite

That's very interesting In My Life, thanks for sharing this info wih us. Here's one from SMOKEY ROBINSON!

Smokey Robinson - Cruisin'

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2012, 03:45:32 AM »

I dedicate this song to all of my loved ones and friends that are no longer among us. This video is from the film THE TEMPTATIONS!

Smokey Robinson - I'm really going to miss you

KelMar

« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2012, 06:42:42 PM »

LMFAO is #1 on Billboard this week with "Sexy and I Know It". Normally that wouldn't even get through my radar but I learned on New Year's Eve that these guys are Berry Gordy's son and grandson. So I got to start 2012 secure in the knowledge that the world has officially gone nuts and that I will continue to dewll in the past musically!

Patriarchal pride run amuck:

Motown Founder Berry Gordy on LMFAO Offspring: 'They're Making the World A Better Place'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lmfao-berry-gordy-father-amas-264393

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2012, 03:24:55 AM »

LMFAO is #1 on Billboard this week with "Sexy and I Know It". Normally that wouldn't even get through my radar but I learned on New Year's Eve that these guys are Berry Gordy's son and grandson. So I got to start 2012 secure in the knowledge that the world has officially gone nuts and that I will continue to dewll in the past musically!

Patriarchal pride run amuck:

Motown Founder Berry Gordy on LMFAO Offspring: 'They're Making the World A Better Place'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lmfao-berry-gordy-father-amas-264393

Hi In My Life! I remember reading something about this but had forgotten about it. Thanks for refreshing my memory, I'm going to check this group out. Take care. 

KelMar

« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2012, 04:36:51 AM »

Happy Birthday Barrett Strong! February 5, 1941

He was the man whose “money” helped build Motown: Founding Father Barrett Strong.
Born in Mississippi in 1941, Barrett Strong moved to Detroit in his twenties and did some work with the Atlantic and Tollie imprints before connecting with Berry Gordy. The Motown label didn’t even exist at the time Strong released the Gordy/Janie Bradford hit, “Money” on sister Gwen Gordy’s Anna label. It was the song’s 21-week run and Number 2 showing on the R&B chart that capitalized Gordy’s launch of Motown. To the masses, “Money,” which was also recorded by the Beatles, is Strong’s crowning achievement. But to soul fans, it’s “I Heard It Through the Grapevine,” “War” and “Smiling Faces Sometimes,” all songs that Strong wrote with Norman Whitfield as part of the Motown “corporation.”When Motown moved to LA in the ’70s, Strong returned to recording for himself, spinning sides for Epic and Capitol (though with little success). Since then, he’s released a number of indie albums, including a re-release of his Stronghold II in 2008.
http://wnew.radio.com/2011/09/14/founding-fathers-barrett-strong/#ixzz1lRg0OtZ2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_Strong
money (thats what i want) - BARRETT STRONG

KelMar

« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2012, 04:42:21 AM »

We all know that The Beatles covered Money (That’s What I Want) it but so did lots of other acts…

The Kingsmen
Kingsmen - Money (Great color clip)

Etta James
Etta James ~ Money (That's What I Want)

Even Bluto Blutarsky  ;D
Animal House Soundtrack 9/14- Money (That's What I Want)

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #151 on: October 14, 2012, 11:49:54 PM »

This just might be the coolest looking box set ever.  The box is a replica of the house in Detroit that was the original Motown headquarters.

The music ain't too shabby either!  Every Motown number one from 1960-2000!  party2

What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

RICKENBACKER325

• "Life is what happens while you busy making other plans"
  • A Thousand Pages
  • Its always been about the music !
« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2012, 12:54:17 AM »

I got a couple of Motown boxes, but not like that. Tell me more. It may be an item I search out. Just looking, it has a cool rating of 10 of 10. ;D

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2012, 02:44:32 AM »

I got a couple of Motown boxes, but not like that. Tell me more. It may be an item I search out. Just looking, it has a cool rating of 10 of 10. ;D

Here is the track listing (10 discs).

What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2012, 10:14:14 AM »

Looks good!
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #155 on: October 16, 2012, 01:05:40 AM »

Nice box set. I started losing interest part way through disc 5 though. I have just about everything on CD one way or another from disc 1 through 4 so i'll pass.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #156 on: May 28, 2015, 04:27:58 AM »

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2019, 10:43:02 PM »

Alexa, play The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles...

https://youtu.be/2ZkLmzkPP00

icon_good icon_good

https://youtu.be/9k9xFmfqO48

Richard Gere teaching us how to dress right.   :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2019, 04:25:27 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Page created in 0.537 seconds with 85 queries.