Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: All you need is ears  (Read 4769 times)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
All you need is ears
« on: August 06, 2012, 07:46:45 PM »

Anybody read this?  I took a flyer and ordered it on amazon, heading to the lake with lots of quiet reading time soon.

Bobber

Re: All you need is ears
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 08:22:15 PM »

Is that the George Martin book? I have it somewhere, and started reading it once, but didn't reach the point where he meets The Beatles.

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 07:42:41 AM »

No. Never read this one. It's probably the only one I want to read now except maybe the M.Lewisham one but I'll probably be only reading those just to see how he's telling the stories we all know so well. Can't imagine he's going to come up with too much new unless he knows something noone talks about because they don't want to upset anyone. I think he's inevitably going to sanitize it to a certain extent because he won't want Paul to ostracise him.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 11:54:02 AM »

I finished this book last weekend.  It was a quick read despite Mr. Martin spending quite a bit of time explaining advances in the technical side of recording.

The book was one that I would characterize as one of those Beatle related books you probably should read but in the end it left you wanting something. 

One somewhat annoying part was there were repeated efforts by Mr. Martin to proclaim that he deserved less credit than sometimes he got while at the same time there were plenty of times he was writing about his bitterness about not getting the credit he so surely deserved.  He seemed to talk out of both sides of his mouth.

There were some Beatles anecdotes that popped in from time to time but there could have been so much more.  There were quotes and memories that have been told and seen before too.

I'd give it a grade of a B just barely above getting a B-  ; there was plenty of information about recording technology I learned and certainly the recording industry politics etc. 

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 03:52:03 PM »

Thanks for the summary/review, blmeanie. This one's been on my to-buy list for awhile, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:44:02 PM »

no problem.  Re-reading my review I didn't give adequate props to George Martin for the job done with often antiquated technology.  His abilities to squeeze great sounds while often splitting and rerecording and layering on the same tracks (and reducing quality) was simply amazing.

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 01:06:32 PM »

no problem.  Re-reading my review I didn't give adequate props to George Martin for the job done with often antiquated technology.  His abilities to squeeze great sounds while often splitting and rerecording and layering on the same tracks (and reducing quality) was simply amazing.

That sounds more like the kinda thing the engineers deserved more credit for than a producer!
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 09:40:14 PM »

yes and no.  I think he was directly responsible for expanding the choices for the engineers, literally coming up with new ideas for methods of recording on outdated equipment, stretching it as it was.

nimrod

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 11:32:20 PM »

one strange thing on page 126 I think, he says that he never knew what happened to the Alan White version of  Love Me Do.....I thought that rather odd.

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 52 queries.