Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Paul Bio  (Read 2373 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Paul Bio
« on: July 30, 2004, 03:35:41 AM »

Has anyone read one they would recomend? I've only read one rock star bio in my life and I actually enjoyed it. It was a non-Beatle one. I'm not sure I would want to read a Beatle one that delves into things that are questionable or sensational though. Anyway, is there a Paul one or Beatle one that was particularly good?  8)

Re: Paul Bio
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 11:35:05 PM »

TK is trying to get you to consider Many Years From Now, by Barry Miles.

This is THE book to see the revisionist attitude of McCartney in full bloom. It is therefore a sad book. Barry Miles ought to hang his head in shame for allowing himself to be manipulated.

There is no good (let alone excellent) biography of Paul McCartney, as far as I know.

By all means get Miles' book, but you've got to read widely about Beatles (group + solo), and sceptically, if you don't want to get taken in.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 12:04:03 AM »

I agree with Maria. Its probably the best that you can do out there though. I thought it was a good book with alot of inside knowledge even though it came directly from Pauls side. Its definately a Paul book and not targeted at just the Beatles. 

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 12:22:04 AM »

See, that's why I'm hesitant to even read any of the stuff out there. I mean what's the point. I'd have to read a 1,000 books on them. Then I'll probably only have about 1/3 of the story in full accuracy. I should just consider it my light summer fiction reading then right? Based on a true story.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 11:04:37 PM »

Yeah.
I mean anyone considering getting to understand the Beatles, should start with the Anthology book..( and DVD set)..this is a great starting block, with funny and relevant stories..and the basics for an interesting insight into the Beatles and their music.

Ive read many books, some obviously worse than others.
The official beatles Book by Hunter Davies disapointed me, as it was brief and full of pictures. Also, I read about how Lennon said he asked Davies to cut anthing that was considered taboo..in order not offend old mimi :)

Other Books..such as
Many years from now, is an interesting look at Mccartney, and one which is slightly biased..but nevertheless a well written book.

Revolution in the Head - Probaly the greatest book on the 60's culture change I have ever read. Such detail and knowledge is ridiculous, and one wonders how Ian macdonald managed to staurate all the information.
A good book for Song explanations.

Revolution by David Quantick is written with humour intended...and is all about the White Album. an Interesting read, especially on Manson.

Just read read read!
Oh..and Listen! :)
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 51 queries.