Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: RIP Andy White  (Read 7374 times)

Bobber

RIP Andy White
« on: November 11, 2015, 12:01:52 PM »

Andy White 1930-2015

Signed promo photo.

Andy White — who played drums for The Beatles on a version of "Love Me Do," in 1962 — died on Monday, at the age of 85. A native of Glasgow, White had lived for many years in Caldwell, New Jersey.

White also played on the Tom Jones hit "It’s Not Unusual," and worked with a broad range of other artists, including Chuck Berry, Rod Stewart, Herman’s Hermits, Marlene Dietrich, Burt Bacharach and the BBC Scottish Radio Orchestra. In 2008, he made a guest appearance on the Smithereens album, B-Sides the Beatles, and he worked as a consultant on the 2012 movie "Not Fade Away," which is about a fictional ’60s rock band.

Andy White was a well established studio drummer in 1962, and he was called in for the second "Love Me Do" session with Ringo Starr. George Martin was concerned with the quality of Ringo Starr's drumming on the original "Love Me Do" on September 4, and so arranged for an experienced session drummer, Andy White, to play on the September 11 session. White was paid a standard fee of £5 15s (£5.75). While White drummed, Ringo played tambourine, effectively making White one of the candidates to the "fifth Beatle" title.

"It was a really enjoyable experience," White told the British newspaper The Daily Record in 2012, "and what impressed me was they were doing some really good stuff, but it was all their own stuff and was really new".

"Everything else at the time was a copy of music from the States, which was very successful, but they were doing something new and you could tell it was something different and very special. But I didn’t know just how special it would become."

Starr summed up the episode this way in the 2000 book, "The Beatles Anthology": "George didn’t want to take any more chances and I was caught in the middle. I was devastated that George Martin had his doubts about me. I came down ready to roll and heard, ‘We’ve got a professional drummer.’ He has apologised several times since, has old George, but it was devastating — I hated the bugger for years; I still don’t let him off the hook!"

A version with Starr on drums did come out as a single in the U.K., but the White version was used on the Beatles U.K. debut album, "Please Please Me", and as the U.S. single.

Andy White moved to Caldwell after meeting his wife Thea, who was a New Jersey resident, in 1983. He played in Scottish pipes and drums bands and also worked as a drumming instructor.

Andy White with the 12" single from 1982 with both his and the Ringo version of "Love Me Do".

When the "Love Me Do" single was rereleased for its 50th anniversary in 2012, EMI made the mistake of producing the single with White's version of the song, and there was also a printing error on the B-side, as they had used the wrong R-series catalogue number. After complaints by the fans, EMI corrected the first mistake on a second pressing, but the catalogue number was never corrected.

The correct catalogue number is R4949.

As reported on Wogblog

KelMar

Re: RIP Andy White
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 07:21:57 PM »

Aww....another part of the story gone. RIP Andy.

Quote from: Bobber
In 2008, he made a guest appearance on the Smithereens album, B-Sides the Beatles

http://youtu.be/oC5KykJghg4?list=PLGCFRlEXj4hH4f9Y2L0YeGVXBeMM72z2I

Andy White sat in with them at the lead singer's Memorial Day picnic in 2011. I'm not sure what the Smithereens were doing but it's nice to get a glimpse of Andy White... when he was 23. ;)

http://youtu.be/NiajRpcei-U

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 03:25:41 AM »

He'll be missed.
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 09:47:36 AM »

Funny how theres 2 Beatle related drummers called Andy White
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 01:45:16 PM »

Funny how theres 2 Beatle related drummers called Andy White

?  Are you thinking of Alan White who played with John and George?

Anyways, sad news.  I had no idea he played on 'Its Not Unusual'.  Thats cool.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 09:02:14 PM »

?  Are you thinking of Alan White who played with John and George?

Anyways, sad news.  I had no idea he played on 'Its Not Unusual'.  Thats cool.

Yes and then with Yes
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

KelMar

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 10:58:50 PM »

Thanks to a website called Purple Clover this picture has been shared over 500 times on Facebook and identified as Andy White. I thought it didn't look like him and that I'd seen it before. It's photographer Henry Grossman who was with The Beatles in the Bahamas during shooting for HELP! Apparently they took the photo from Beatle Photo Blog where it was misidentified. I commented with the correct information and a link to a photo gallery site that verifies it. I asked them if they could please send out a correction. I wonder if they'll do it?

Here's the photo as it appears in his memoir Places I Remember:My Time With The Beatles:

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 51 queries.