Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jazz  (Read 1430 times)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Jazz
« on: October 18, 2015, 10:43:07 AM »

Im a huge fan, so much so that I barely listen to anything else these days, (well ok The fabs) I just didnt appreciate it when I was younger, I love Miles Davies, Coltrane for example and I enjoyed researching these guys and reading about their lives, very fascinating stuff.

Ive recently discovered fine albums by Stanley Turrentine and the album Mood Indigo by Frank Morgan is superb. What a saxophonist he is.

Thelonius Monk is another favourite and of course Mingus.

Also love Jazz fusion, Weather Report in particular.

Any other fans ?
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Jazz
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 12:13:39 PM »

I saw Weather Report at The Berkeley Performing Arts center in Boston in the late 70's. What a show! The auditorium is also acoustically "perfect"!

Stanley Clark, Al DiMeola, (Elegant Gypsy), Return to Forever are artists that come to mind that I liked.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 12:25:02 PM »

I saw Weather Report at The Berkeley Performing Arts center in Boston in the late 70's. What a show! The auditorium is also acoustically "perfect"!

Stanley Clark, Al DiMeola, (Elegant Gypsy), Return to Forever are artists that come to mind that I liked.

Was Jaco with them when you saw them ?
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 01:00:33 PM »

I used to enjoy and collect records by the "progressive" jazz artists of the 70's, like those mentioned above. Gradually lost interest, although they're still making great music. As for the older, broader bunch, I appreciate them but I don't have much of a craving to hear them.

Zappa had a definite jazz leaning to his work. Get beyond the humorous stuff and there is some seriously out-there stylings.

:)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 05:29:32 PM by Klang »
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 04:35:36 PM »

Fopp Records in Covent Garden do old Blue Note CDs at £3 a pop.

Grant Green, Eric Dolphy, Andrew Hill, Joe Henderson, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock etc.

Each time I go in there I get two or three; all from the mid-50s to late 60s, all with fantastic, unsurpassed sleeve design.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 02:40:46 PM »

Jazz guitar is my favorite type-Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, Wes Montgomery, etc.

http://youtu.be/vP1iyEUyHeI?list=PLC629098E62874E5F
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 11:04:58 PM »

The guy who taught me Bass was actually a Jazz pianist called Frank Johnson, he taught me nothing but theory for about 3 months, never even picked the bass up during that time.

Anyway it was Frank Morgan that got me going with Jazz, I was reading a book by Michael Connolly called Bosch about an LA detective

One night this woman leaves him, he knows it is over, he goes into his house and puts on the CD Mood Indigo by Frank Morgan

He listens to the first track 'Lullaby'.........and he decides that nothing gets into a mans soul as much as a saxophone does

Out of curiosity I downloaded the album and listened to Lullaby, I was hooked. :)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 53 queries.