Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: She Said, She Said  (Read 4595 times)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
She Said, She Said
« on: August 09, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »

I was listening to Revolver this week and was thinking about an earlier DM post that was about a row with Paul during the recording of this song. It seemed he walked out of the studio and didn't play on the song! As the song was ending I noticed that during choruses and the fade out the only singing is between George and John. The chorus singing seems to be down where George usually is. Great bass from George too.
I never knew this until that post. Always something to know-so little time!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Bobber

Re: She Said, She Said
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 07:52:18 PM »

I have always wondered if this is true. Although Paul said somewhere he's not on it....

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 08:14:54 PM »

I have always wondered if this is true. Although Paul said somewhere he's not on it....

I've read it's basically John George and Ringo. Which must be pretty unique on Beatle history.

George reportedly helped John out the song together too

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 03:34:25 AM »

Paul:

"John brought it in pretty much finished, I think. I'm not sure but I think it was one of the only Beatle records I never played on. I think we'd had a barney or something and I said, 'Oh, f*** you!' and they said, 'Well, we'll do it.' I think George played bass."
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 07:52:51 PM »

It's a blisteringly great track, I love it. Paul's apparent absence does it no harm to be honest. In fact this one symbolises the dichotomy which I've always felt conscious of with Revolver.

On the one hand Paul, polishing his songwriting skills to a fine degree ("Here There And Everywhere", "Eleanor Rigby" and "Got To Get You Into My Life" are three of the very best he's ever given us) dabbling with strings and brass but by and large giving us straightforward top quality songs of (on the whole) clever emotional depth.

On the other hand, John & George blend their spangly, jangling guitars with Indian strings to deliver that overall trademark "sound" of Revolver, with lyrics about drugs, dreams and death. Theirs was the more intriguing, exploratory pathway and Ringo seemed particularly energised when driving the beat of the Lennon/Harrison express as opposed to the McCartney material.

Don't forget The Beatles were effectively two groups in 1966: The suited, collar & tie moptops from "Top Of The Pops" still touring the world, playing their number one hits and waving to the crowds as well as being the bespectacled, paisley-shirted, drug ingesting experimenters concocting backwards tape loops in the studio laboratory fast becoming their home. A relatively reluctant Paul was nervous of entering radically new waters, preferring to burnish the already well-honed skills he had been developing over the previous year or two towards a pinnacle of perfection, whereas George and John embraced the experimentation with relish, fresh from their introduction to LSD. Somehow the whole package held together well, and yet I'm sure there were times when friction surfaced and two directions could not be accommodated simultaneously. "She Said She Said" is the embodiment of that it would seem.

They were never less than fascinating were they?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 07:54:40 PM by Mr Mustard »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 09:41:21 PM »

It's a blisteringly great track, I love it. Paul's apparent absence does it no harm to be honest. In fact this one symbolises the dichotomy which I've always felt conscious of with Revolver.

That's my feeling. There was always something interesting going on with their music.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 09:53:47 PM »

I never knew this, either. Interesting!

Always something to know-so little time!

Well put, Dave!   ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 10:27:02 PM »

Another way of putting it...

Jeremy Hillary Boob PhD.

Nowhere Man The Beatles (Rubber Soul) (Digital Stereo Remastered)
I can stay till it's time to go

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 02:59:51 AM »

:)
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

KEROUAC

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 02:40:12 PM »

On the one hand Paul, polishing his songwriting skills to a fine degree ("Here There And Everywhere", "Eleanor Rigby" and "Got To Get You Into My Life" are three of the very best he's ever given us) dabbling with strings and brass but by and large giving us straightforward top quality songs of (on the whole) clever emotional depth.

On the other hand, John & George blend their spangly, jangling guitars with Indian strings to deliver that overall trademark "sound" of Revolver, with lyrics about drugs, dreams and death. Theirs was the more intriguing, exploratory pathway and Ringo seemed particularly energised when driving the beat of the Lennon/Harrison express as opposed to the McCartney material.

Don't forget The Beatles were effectively two groups in 1966: The suited, collar & tie moptops from "Top Of The Pops" still touring the world, playing their number one hits and waving to the crowds as well as being the bespectacled, paisley-shirted, drug ingesting experimenters concocting backwards tape loops in the studio laboratory fast becoming their home. A relatively reluctant Paul was nervous of entering radically new waters, preferring to burnish the already well-honed skills he had been developing over the previous year or two towards a pinnacle of perfection, whereas George and John embraced the experimentation with relish, fresh from their introduction to LSD. Somehow the whole package held together well, and yet I'm sure there were times when friction surfaced and two directions could not be accommodated simultaneously. "She Said She Said" is the embodiment of that it would seem.

Very interesting analysis Mr Mustard. Looking at the timeline of events it seems beyond madness that two days after this was recorded in one 8 hour session The Beatles were off on their long tour of Germany and the Far East. This would be crazy planning for a band today. They had a very narrow window of opportunity to finalise Revolver.

This is just speculation but I wouldn't mind betting John Lennon would have been very annoyed at the time allocated to work on his song and this could possibly have provided the tension. i.e "We've spent months working on your stuff Paul and I've got to try and knock this song off before the tour". He mentioned in interviews later on that he felt not enough time was spent on his songs.

As it turned out She Said She Said is an amazing recording and one of my favourite Beatle tracks. It does seem strange that McCartney doesn't feature on it as it sounds so typically Beatley.

I once saw a Youtube video where a drummer recreated Ringo's playing on this song and it gave me a whole new appreciation for Ringo's great drumming. Although no one can recreate it completely because Ringo had a unique left-handed playing style.  I'll see if I can find it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:43:21 PM by KEROUAC »

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 58 queries.