Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Microscope: Live Peace In Toronto  (Read 12753 times)

Bobber

Microscope: Live Peace In Toronto
« on: December 17, 2012, 07:39:24 PM »

The first album I haven't listened to the very end. Just couldn't stand it any longer. I will post my in depth microscope tomorrow.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Microscope: Live Peace In Toronto
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 02:10:15 PM »

Yeah, this one is going to be a chore.

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 01:14:31 PM »

Alright then. After three avant-garde albums (or just plain trash), at least this is a collection of songs. The album was recorded live at the Toronto Rock&Roll Festival on September 13, 1969 and the album was released about three months later. Johns appearance before a live audience was somewhat of a coincidence. A day before the festival, promoter John Brower phoned John at the Apple office to inform whether John was willing to fly to Toronto and introduce some of the acts that should be performing. The lineup featured Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Gene Vincent, Jerry Lee Lewis and Bo Diddley, which was reason enough for John to state that he would only come if you could play live. Of course, there was no way John would get The Beatles together on such short notice. Instead, John asked Eric Clapton, Klaus Voormann and Alan White. It seems that John was extremely nervous before the gig, had to throw up and snorted a line of coke to calm down.

1. Blue Suede Shoes
Side A opens with an introduction, some tuning and strumming and John's announcement. 'OK, we're just gonna do numbers we know, you know, because we've never played together before.' And even though, it sounds as if the musicians backing up John don't really know their roots. The guitar solo by Eric is just awful, the drums don't sound good at all. Only John's vocal is great to hear in a normal way at last. Forgettable stuff.

2. Money
Things really don't get better. Alan White is completely ruining this song, playing an afterbeat on the wrong moments and it's pretty obvious he doesn't know the song at all. John is messing up the words, but that's alright with me. He'd done that before. I understand there wasn't much time to rehearse things, but these are all professional musicians and it just sounds plain bad.

3. Dizzy Miss Lizzy
John continues with the golden oldies, but this isn't any better than Blue Suede Shoes. Messing up the words once more. Alan is drumming this without any enthousiasm. Ringo did a  much better job on the Help!-album, at least making this song a powerful statement. This Lizzy by the Plastic Ono Band is a sissy.

4. Yer Blues
Best song on the album, although that is not such an achievement. But this is played properly and it's obvious that Eric Clapton was familiar with the song as well, having played it for the Rock & Roll Circus film. Alan had even picked up the change in rhythm, so this is a good performance all in all. John can hardly keep his voice in control, but he's just alright.

5. Cold Turkey
Here comes Yoko. She informs us that 'this is the newest song that John wrote'. John adds that 'we've never done this number before, so best of luck.' It's interesting to hear that at this stage, the song is different than the single that would be recorded only two weeks later. It's much lighter and John's just constantly strumming his guitar instead of playing the accents. This version is also faster. Nothing wrong tho, until Yoko comes in, wailing and howling. Sad.

6. Give Peace A Chance
John announces that he forgotten 'all the bits in between, but I know the chorus'. His count in is in German. The song is a bit of a mess once more, John's playing around with all the words and the band is just playing the chords and that. That's about it. Nothing special.

7. Don't Worry Kyoko (Mummy's Only Looking For Her Hand In The Snow)
John warns us: 'And now Yoko's gonna do her thing all over you.' And she surely does. The band is rocking out, John is playing a single chord and Yoko is just crying and howling 'don't worry'. It's extremely painful to listen to. I don't have anything against Yoko Ono as a person as I don't know her personally. But I can judge her as a musician and singer. It is simply the worst I have ever heard in my entire life.

8. John John (Let's Hope For Peace)
If possible, this is even worse. John's feedback is the music, Yoko's screaming is the other thing. It goes on and on and on and on. This is the first John Lennon track that I admit I have not listened to till the very end. I got extremely fed up with it. I dare anyone to have a complete listen to this song and give me some positive input. To me, it's not hard to imagine that John and Yoko's bid for peace was not taken too seriously. The message is good, but if you try to bring it to the people in ways like this, it won't work. Ever.

All in all: not worth the buy. Maybe only for a good live version of Yer Blues and Cold Turkey.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »

I really liked this when it first came out, such the wide-eyed believer I was at the time. Today, I concur completely with the above assessment.

Poor John.

roll:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 12:34:28 AM »

Do I have to listen to this again? Seriously? Oh alright, but i'm not happy about it. I'll get a review up hopefully this weekend sometime.

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 08:43:08 AM »

Do I have to listen to this again? Seriously? Oh alright, but i'm not happy about it. I'll get a review up hopefully this weekend sometime.

Good luck and remember we love you.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »

Yer Blues - John Lennon & Plastic Ono Band - Toronto 1969

I usually dislike Yoko's contributions in John's music as much as anybody, but in this version of "Yer Blues" I think it's not that bad, surely because she's really in the background. Come on, if someone had told us that instead of Yoko that was a sound effect or a synthesizer noone would have cared too much about it.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 03:51:18 PM »

What on earth could possibly be written on those papers she's holding?
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 07:54:12 PM »

Come on, if someone had told us that instead of Yoko that was a sound effect or a synthesizer noone would have cared too much about it.

There you have it. She sounds like a sound effect at best.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 11:20:49 PM »

What on earth could possibly be written on those papers she's holding?

Haha, good point, could that be a music sheet??

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 11:24:10 PM »

There you have it. She sounds like a sound effect at best.

Yes, that's what I mean. As a "lead instrument" her voice is awful, but in some cases (like this version of "Yer Blues") more or less it fits quite well as a secondary element.

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 10:57:30 AM »

Yes, that's what I mean. As a "lead instrument" her voice is awful, but in some cases (like this version of "Yer Blues") more or less it fits quite well as a secondary element.

...a secondary element...
It's pretty hard to regard it as a secondary element. Her voice is pretty loud and penetrating to put it diplomatically.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 04:27:27 PM »

...a secondary element...
It's pretty hard to regard it as a secondary element. Her voice is pretty loud and penetrating to put it diplomatically.

Well, at least in this version of "Yer Blues" I don't find her voice over John's and the music. It's not so bad here in my opinion, it depends on what your ears pay attention the most.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »

I have two copies of this album! I'm going to try to finish one.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

nimrod

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 11:04:15 PM »

the whole thing is unrehearsed garbage imo

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 01:03:36 AM »

Next couple of days hopefully.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 08:52:56 PM »

I got through the album today and I really have to agree with Nimrod for the most part. The fact that Johns playing live is a cool thing but the music is poorly done with miscues on vocals and basically shoddy production. At times I enjoy side one but I haven't listened to it for years and probably won't again for a long time.
What they thought they were doing on side two I don't know. Yoko's vocals are beyond description and is arguably the worst piece of screaming junk ever put down on vinyl. Virtually unlistenable!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

nimrod

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 11:06:31 PM »

I got through the album today and I really have to agree with Nimrod for the most part. The fact that Johns playing live is a cool thing but the music is poorly done with miscues on vocals and basically shoddy production. At times I enjoy side one but I haven't listened to it for years and probably won't again for a long time.
What they thought they were doing on side two I don't know. Yoko's vocals are beyond description and is arguably the worst piece of screaming junk ever put down on vinyl. Virtually unlistenable!

John has admitted that the only practise was done on the plane with guitars that wernt plugged in and probably half p*ssed on Brandy & Cokes, most muso's have done gigs like this, unrehearsed and sloppy, off the cuff... the mistake was that it ever got recorded and released

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 11:30:47 PM »

John has admitted that the only practise was done on the plane with guitars that wernt plugged in and probably half p*ssed on Brandy & Cokes, most muso's have done gigs like this, unrehearsed and sloppy, off the cuff... the mistake was that it ever got recorded and released
I'm sure when John came out on stage with Eric and Klaus Voorman and Alan White the fans didn't care what they played but... when Yoko took over I'm sure they felt there was no place to hide.
I wonder if John felt that if he thought she was OK then the fans should agree and listen to her performance (like he felt The beatles should). the other thought I had was they needed to fill up a time slot and she was what happened. Even though his intro of her had a hint of sarcasm to it as noted in a previous post. He knew, maybe it was a serious private joke he was playing on everyone!
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 07:47:56 AM »

Oh my. I decided to give this a listen on YouTube but ended up watching the Pennebaker film instead. Bo, Jerry and Richard sounded good but I know that's not on the album. “Blue Suede Shoes” sounded okay, but definitely unrehearsed.  "Money" sounded like they were suddenly very tired. Maybe they were just trying to rest up for when Yoko crawled out of her bag. Lizzy was like John was making it up as they went along. I agree that “Yer Blues” is the highlight of this thing. “Cold Turkey” would have been alright without you-know-who. She actually did sound like a turkey though. I used to mess around with my dad’s turkey call and that’s exactly what it sounded like. “Give Peace a Chance” was more of the same and then all hell broke loose, literally. Yoko said “Don’t worry” but it had no effect on poor Eric Clapton. He looked extremely worried, and rightly so. By the time “Let’s Hope for Peace” ended I imagine most everyone was thinking “Let’s hope for death”. Even John didn’t look like he was really buying it but I’ve always thought that when I’ve seen them together on stage. It was just the most bizarre thing I’ve ever endured and it felt like I’d just emerged from some kind of torture when it was over. Whew!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 07:49:40 AM by In My Life »
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.609 seconds with 81 queries.