Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rishikesh today  (Read 1749 times)

Brynjar

• Getting Better
Rishikesh today
« on: April 20, 2013, 03:27:02 PM »

I´ve always wanted to see how the Rishikesh area looks today. I googled it and this is what I found:

http://master-of-lights.com/index.php?id=158&L=5

http://blog.ounodesign.com/2009/07/02/whatever-happened-to-the-beatles-ashram-in-rishikesh/

Would be nice to see pics side by side, how it looked then and how it looks now.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:03:31 PM by Brynjar »
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

KelMar

Re: Rishikesh today
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 08:05:44 AM »

Those are really interesting pictures Brynjar. I never really knew what the buildings were like. Sad that they are just crumbling away.

paulfrasercollect

• One And One Is Two
Re: Rishikesh today
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 03:28:26 PM »

Now, truth be told, i'm not the world's biggest Beatles fan.  ;sorry

However, I was rambling round India in 2010 and found myself in Rishikesh. I decided to visit the Beatles' ashram, mainly as I heard it was a bit of a crumbling ruin that was a quiet place to visit for free.

When I got there, the gates are overgrown and it seems to be in a forgotten part of town. An old man with the traditional dreadlocks of the baba holymen was waiting, asking for an entrance fee. Obviously, that wasn't an official fee so I sidestepped him and made my way through a hole in the fence.

Indeed, what I found there was a mass of crumbling buildings, each abandoned and left for the plants. But it was beautiful, the egg-shaped meditation chambers and emptied rooms seemed to me like a relic from a forgotten age.

I must confess that I don't really think that this should be a preserved monument, as it would simply turn it into a tourist hell-hole. Instead, I added my drawing and some of my favourite lyrics to the wall in the pictures above (including drawing a moustache on that beaming sun) and made a quiet tribute to the Beatles by walking around and reflecting on their career.

Anyways, that's my two-bob

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 40 queries.