Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Time On Stage  (Read 6201 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: Time On Stage
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 04:49:36 AM »

I've e-mailed The Cavern Club. Let you know what they say.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 02:53:19 PM »

^Great idea! *bows to you*
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 07:47:43 AM »

Here's what The Cavern Club said in their reply:

"The sessions went from 12 til 3 as a rule to get the office workers and school kids on their lunch hour. The bands played  45 minutes to an hour depending on however many bands were on sometimes one band would play two sets. There are no records available showing particular line ups and times for specific bands."

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 07:57:52 AM »

Ah! That is great. So I guess if The Beatles were the only band during a lunchtime session, I can count two hours. If there's another band scheduled along with The Beatles, I'll count one hour. That's fair, isn't it?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 08:30:22 AM »

Sounds like the logical thing to do. But how do you know if there were other bands? Lewisohn rarely mentions them. But he does say this on 22 January 1962:

"The lunchtime spot at The Cavern Club was the first of five experimental one hour sessions, half the usual duration."

Bobber

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »

Quote from: 483
Sounds like the logical thing to do. But how do you know if there were other bands? Lewisohn rarely mentions them. But he does say this on 22 January 1962:

"The lunchtime spot at The Cavern Club was the first of five experimental one hour sessions, half the usual duration."

It's those kind of remarks that I must try to hold on to. There's a lot of gigs that are clueless about the duration. Hamburg is quite obvious, but how long did they play on a random Saturday night at the Litherland Town Hall?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 09:12:58 AM »

Quote from: 63

It's those kind of remarks that I must try to hold on to. There's a lot of gigs that are clueless about the duration. Hamburg is quite obvious, but how long did they play on a random Saturday night at the Litherland Town Hall?

You can only approximate. If they were playing on their own call it 2 one hour sets. On a bill with other bands I'd say 45 minutes.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 06:17:13 PM »

Bobber, keep track of all this research. You should publish a paper! :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2007, 08:33:11 PM »

Here's a cute clip of fan memories. These two Cavern dwellers give more evidence that the sets might have been an hour:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlM6Ms6YWbk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlM6Ms6YWbk</a>

About 3 minutes in, the 2 fans talk about 1 of them fainting, and she had to wait "about an hour" for her friend to join her-- who was not about to miss the Beatles!

I'm looking forward to your research results. Cheers.

Bobber

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007, 08:34:51 PM »

Oh, I'm still busy. Up to February 1961 and Pete is still in front. Thanks a lot for that link by the way! These are links by maccalennon: see his comments on the Films Section.

Bobber

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 05:24:47 PM »

I was hoping to sort this out while I was on holiday, but I was too busy playing midgetgolf with the kids. ;D Results expected pretty soon tho.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 05:45:31 PM »

I was hoping to sort this out while I was on holiday, but I was too busy playing midgetgolf with the kids. ;D Results expected pretty soon tho.

I used to love playing that when I was a kid. But as I grew into an adult I progressed to the real thing. Pitch and Putt!!;D

Bobber

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2007, 07:37:49 PM »

The Beatles in Hamburg: they played night after night, right?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2007, 08:03:56 AM »

I only know they played every night at The Kaiserkeller on their first visit. I imaginr that by the time they'd worked their way up to The Star Club, they might have had a night off now and then. But somehow I doubt it.

Bobber

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2007, 08:44:05 AM »

According to Lewisohn they did play every night. In the Indra Club they played for 5.5 hours a night. Later on, in the Kaiserkeller, they were joined on the bill by Rory Storm and the Hurricanes. Can I say they played for four hours each?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2007, 02:41:26 PM »

Four hours each sounds about right to me.

Bobber

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2007, 11:17:02 AM »

Alright, I started counting!  ;D

In 1960 alone, Pete spent approximately 500 hours on stage with the Beatles. Now, Ringo played with the Beatles from August 1962 till the very end, but he did a lot of (not even) 30 minutes shows. He has to put 1,000 shows against Pete's 1960 performances alone. But I will keep on counting.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2007, 11:56:51 AM »

Alright, I started counting!  ;D

In 1960 alone, Pete spent approximately 500 hours on stage with the Beatles. Now, Ringo played with the Beatles from August 1962 till the very end, but he did a lot of (not even) 30 minutes shows. He has to put 1,000 shows against Pete's 1960 performances alone. But I will keep on counting.

In fact Ringo would have to play 15 gigs in 1964 to match one night of Pete's in Germany.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2007, 01:42:43 PM »

Yay, you're counting, yay!

According to Lewisohn they did play every night. In the Indra Club they played for 5.5 hours a night. Later on, in the Kaiserkeller, they were joined on the bill by Rory Storm and the Hurricanes. Can I say they played for four hours each?
I'm reading Paul's biography now. According to Barry Miles, yes, the Beatles did play 4 hours/night at the Kaiserkeller. He even gives the set times. Cheers!

Bobber

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2007, 02:53:45 PM »

I guessed that right. And according to Mark Lewisohn they played every night. So, does anybody think that Ringo can beat that?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 74 queries.