Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lennon's unfavorite Beatles album  (Read 7765 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Lennon's unfavorite Beatles album
« on: December 19, 2016, 01:27:07 AM »

John was very self-critical and had no problem to say which Beatles songs he disliked. So I thought of making a Beatles album he wouldn't have liked to listen to (I added John's quotes).

1. Hold Me Tight. "That was Paul's. Maybe I stuck some bits in there... I really don't remember. It was a pretty poor song and I was never really interested in it either way."

2. Eight Days A Week. "Eight Days A Week' was never a good song. We struggled to record it and struggled to make it into a song. It was his (Paul's) initial effort, but I think we both worked on it. I'm not sure. But it was lousy anyway."

3. It's Only Love. "That's the one song I really hate of mine. Terrible lyric." / "'It's Only Love' is mine. I always thought it was a lousy song. The lyrics are abysmal. I always hated that song."

4. Run For Your Life. "It has a line from an old Presley song. 'I'd rather see you dead little girl than to be with another man' is a line from an old blues song that Presley did once. Just sort of a throw-away song of mine that I never thought much of... but it was always a favorite of George's."

5. And Your Bird Can Sing. "Another horror." / "Another of my throwaways."

6. When I'm Sixty-Four. "Paul's, completely. I would never dream of writing a song like that. There's some things I never think about, and that's one of them."

7. Birthday. "'Birthday' was written in the studio. Just made up on the spot. I think Paul wanted to write a song like 'Happy Birthday Baby,' the old fifties hit. But it was sort of made up in the studio. It was a piece of garbage."

8. Cry Baby Cry. "A piece of rubbish."

9. Sun King. "That's a piece of garbage I had around."

10. Dig A Pony. "Another piece of garbage."

What do you think? Is this collection that bad? Would you enjoy listening to it?
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Lennon's unfavorite Beatles album
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 01:53:21 AM »

I like most of the songs on that list.  I'm not sure why John was so critical in those interviews.  I'm curious what he thought about some of the songs on his early solo albums.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 02:00:27 AM »

I particularly love "When I'm Sixty-Four", "Cry Baby Cry" and "Dig A Pony". I also enjoy "Eight Day A Week", "Run For Your Life" and "Birthday". The rest were always poor songs for me, but I don't think they are awful. "Hold Me Tight" may be the worst song, but it should be considered the date it was recorded.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 02:19:48 AM »

You'd have to add Maxwell's Silver Hammer on there wouldn't you?

It's still not a bad album. Cry Baby Cry, And Your Bird Can Sing are great songs to me. I can understand why he didn't like the lyrics to It's Only Love but I like the tune and his singing. Dig a Pony I like for the busy instrumentation. The rest are more fillerish I guess but not necessarily bad filler.

Did Paul and George similarly bad mouth Beatle songs? I've never noticed if they did.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 02:36:01 AM »

You'd have to add Maxwell's Silver Hammer on there wouldn't you?

As well as Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, I'd imagine.

I know everyone is their own worst critic, but wow! I love most of the songs on that list.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 02:55:50 AM »

Yes, I also believe "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" and "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" were songs John hated. But I didn't find quotes to prove it (maybe I should make a more exhaustive finding).

These are John's words about those songs:

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. "I might've given him a couple of lyrics, but it's his song, his lyric."

Maxwell's Silver Hammer. "He (Paul) did quite alot of work on it. I was ill after the (automobile) accident while they did most of the track, and I believe he really ground George and Ringo into the ground recording it. We spent more money on that song than any of them on the whole album, I think."

By the way, I've forgotten to include Glass Onion. "That's me, just doing a throwaway song, a la 'Walrus' a la everything I've ever written. I threw in the line 'The walrus was Paul' just to confuse everybody a bit more. It could've been the fox terrier is Paul, you know. I mean, it's just a bit of poetry. It was just thrown in like that... The line was put in because I was feeling guilty because I was with Yoko and I was leaving Paul. I was trying... I don't know. It's a perverse way of saying to Paul, you know, 'Here, have this crumb, this illusion, this stroke, because I'm leaving."

Did Paul and George similarly bad mouth Beatle songs? I've never noticed if they did.

I'd have to look for their quotes, but now I remember these songs Paul seems to dislike:

Every Little Thing. "'Every Little Thing,' like most of the stuff I did, was my attempt at the next single... but it became an album filler rather than the great almighty single. It didn't have quite what was required."

Tell Me What You See. "'I seem to remember it as mine... Not awfully memorable."

"Every Little Thing" is one of my favorite songs!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 02:57:05 AM »

Cry Baby Cry, And Your Bird Can Sing are great songs to me.

Those are among my favorites too, Moog.

There's some very intricate harmonizing lead guitar work by George and Paul in And Your Bird Can Sing...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-SwhEG1its" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-SwhEG1its</a>

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 03:14:55 AM »

I'd have to look for their quotes, but now I remember these songs Paul seems to dislike:

Every Little Thing. "'Every Little Thing,' like most of the stuff I did, was my attempt at the next single... but it became an album filler rather than the great almighty single. It didn't have quite what was required."

Tell Me What You See. "'I seem to remember it as mine... Not awfully memorable."

Those are two beautiful songs inspired by Jane Asher, his muse at the time.  Perhaps that's why he dismissed them as filler years later.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 03:23:34 AM »

Those are two beautiful songs inspired by Jane Asher, his muse at the time.  Perhaps that's why he dismissed them as filler years later.

The inspiration may have been nice, but the result may have been not so good, at least to him.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 04:06:45 AM »

Every Little Thing certainly inspired Yes...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-p_QEZGpKI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-p_QEZGpKI</a>

...with a bit of Day Tripper thrown in.  :)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 04:51:30 AM »

Maxwell's Silver Hammer. "He (Paul) did quite alot of work on it. I was ill after the (automobile) accident while they did most of the track, and I believe he really ground George and Ringo into the ground recording it. We spent more money on that song than any of them on the whole album, I think."

I seem to recall John adding that Paul was "trying to make it into a single. Which it could never have been" or something like that.  Maybe not enough to declare it hated though.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 04:54:04 AM »

As well as Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, I'd imagine.

I know everyone is their own worst critic, but wow! I love most of the songs on that list.

My mother used to say to me "Never criticise yourself as there's no shortage of other people who'll do it"

Clearly John didn't benefit from my Ma's wisdom

KelMar

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 05:00:55 AM »

My mother used to say to me "Never criticise yourself as there's no shortage of other people who'll do it"

Clearly John didn't benefit from my Ma's wisdom

I like that advice from your mom,  Moog. Maybe John was criticizing himself in order to beat others to the punch. I've been guilty of that myself.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 05:02:43 AM »

"Every Little Thing" is one of my favorite songs!

I like Every Little Thing as well.

Paul doesn't seem to be  really much into public self criticism. I don't think he's even bagged out Give My Regards to Broadstreet. Not that I recall at least.

Bobber

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 08:24:07 AM »

I like Every Little Thing as well.

Paul doesn't seem to be  really much into public self criticism. I don't think he's even bagged out Give My Regards to Broadstreet. Not that I recall at least.

I recall a statement that he was wondering what he was doing in the 80's.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 08:24:59 AM »

Every Little Thing is one of my favourite songs

I love most of John's list except Run For Your Life & It's Only Love
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 06:57:21 AM »

I don't think he's even bagged out Give My Regards to Broadstreet. Not that I recall at least.

I love that movie!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 07:00:31 AM »

I recall a statement that he was wondering what he was doing in the 80's.

Which one of him?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnHu-WLvY5U" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnHu-WLvY5U</a>

;)

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 11:08:47 PM »

Where can I buy this album????   ;D

John was very self-critical and had no problem to say which Beatles songs he disliked. So I thought of making a Beatles album he wouldn't have liked to listen to
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 12:44:42 AM »

Didn't John also not like Strawberry Fields?  I thought he said he wished he could have re-recorded it differently.  But I never learned what exactly he wanted to change about it.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.343 seconds with 86 queries.