Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Monkberry Moon Delight  (Read 19437 times)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Monkberry Moon Delight
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 10:36:13 PM »

Quote from: 977
hey is your picture and mine with the red shirt related?!

looks like it a bit dosen't it,  ;D

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 07:57:48 PM »

top song,top album.one of pauls' best vocals....what a cracking voice!yeah-a big purple patch for pauls' voice 68-72,although you could pick other songs off of later albums and say that his voice sounded just as good....some lovely bits on "i've had enough"(london town)and also i know that the lyrical content isnt there,but also "rockestra".
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 03:10:46 PM »

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HE YELLING ABOUT?!

Yeah, I ask myself the same thing too when I listen to "Soily."  LOL.  Odd lyrics!  Paul has a thing about bananas; he mentions them in "MMD" and "Hi Hi Hi"...not sure what that's all about but I'm afraid to ask.  Anyway, I love Paul's vocals here.  He has such great range.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 04:56:50 PM »

The lyrics are so druggy think that weed he was smoking , really zapped his brain , the best drug song outside The Beatles ?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 05:13:46 PM »

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HE YELLING ABOUT?!
Drink a couple of glasses of Monkberry Moon Delight and you'll be yelling too.   :)

I think there's a lot of imagery in this song.
I can stay till it's time to go

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 10:00:21 AM »

you don't have to make sense in all songs that you write-elementary penguin and all that jazz.monkberry moon delight is a delight to listen to!!!enjoy for what it is!!
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

dylanjohn

• A Beginning
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 06:04:35 PM »

I always thought it was about afternoon sex, or maybe taking a little "smoke" break.

Just my two cents.

I_Will

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?"
    • My Beatles Tumblr!
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 03:44:46 AM »

I love this song. I don't care what it means, but the vocals are AWESOME. Plus the melody is a great one to move to  :)

The name's Emily :)

eroz0

• A Beginning
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 10:22:48 AM »

I adore this song. His voice is simply amazing in it.

He has said that the song was inspired by his daughters (Heather and Mary). Monkberry Moon Delight was the name they used  for a fruit drink/milkshake Linda would make for them. And they liked to hide in a barrel in the yard to drink it. So the line "two youngsters concealed in a barrel, sucking monkberry moon delight" is actually true.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 08:43:28 PM »

I adore this song. His voice is simply amazing in it.

He has said that the song was inspired by his daughters (Heather and Mary). Monkberry Moon Delight was the name they used  for a fruit drink/milkshake Linda would make for them. And they liked to hide in a barrel in the yard to drink it. So the line "two youngsters concealed in a barrel, sucking monkberry moon delight" is actually true.

Was it Paul who said it? Could you, please, say when he said it or maybe where?  :)
In fact, everything is clear now! Paul is playing the piano kind of in the attick, gets a bit tired and lonely. He can hear somebody in the yard, playing, but he imagines they are some enemies, and the wind is blowing on the roof, beating on his brains like also some enemy. He can hear Linda cooking preparing tomato soup-pure. He is falling asleep, the piano is up his nose... but suddenly rats wake him up, he stretches his muscles, stands up feeling hungry and looks out of the window. And what does he see? Two youngsters have crawled into the barrel (it must have been lying, cause they were used to doing it quite often) and are drinking with abandon Monkberry Moon Delight! Great!

eroz0

• A Beginning
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 10:09:47 PM »

Was it Paul who said it? Could you, please, say when he said it or maybe where?  :)
In fact, everything is clear now! Paul is playing the piano kind of in the attick, gets a bit tired and lonely. He can hear somebody in the yard, playing, but he imagines they are some enemies, and the wind is blowing on the roof, beating on his brains like also some enemy. He can hear Linda cooking preparing tomato soup-pure. He is falling asleep, the piano is up his nose... but suddenly rats wake him up, he stretches his muscles, stands up feeling hungry and looks out of the window. And what does he see? Two youngsters have crawled into the barrel (it must have been lying, cause they were used to doing it quite often) and are drinking with abandon Monkberry Moon Delight! Great!

I love your little story.  :D

Paul talked about it in an interview, but I don't remember when or where. I'll try to find it.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 10:41:17 PM »

I love your little story.  :D

Paul talked about it in an interview, but I don't remember when or where. I'll try to find it.

Thank you very much! I would appreciate it so much!!!  :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2009, 01:39:17 AM »

This it?

http://dmme.net/interviews/macca.html

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2009, 09:07:33 PM »

This it?

Very nice interview! Thank you! But I don`t think it is it, cause Paul says quite little about the song MMD itself and the meaning of the lyrics, especially the fact who were the youngsters in the barrel, which erozO mentioned. However maybe erozO meant this interview?
What do you know about the lyrics of MMD, Hello Goodbye?  :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2009, 11:25:11 PM »

Jane, I mentioned that there might be some imagery in Monkberry Moon Delight.  I guess only Paul knows if there is or isn't.  But I enjoy the lyrics and the mental pictures I have each time I listen to it.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2009, 10:30:53 PM »

Is it possible to ask Paul, I wonder? But I don`t think he would be serious, he would prefer to keep people in the dark, making them guess and WONDER, as we do...  :(

eroz0

• A Beginning
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2009, 10:55:17 AM »

This it?

No, that's not the one. Lovely interview, though, I've never seen that before, thanks for the link.

I've tried to find the one I'm talking about, but so far no luck. I wish I could remember which one it is. He talks very clearly about his inspiration, about Linda making the drink and the kids playing around etc.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2009, 09:12:16 PM »

He talks very clearly about his inspiration, about Linda making the drink and the kids playing around etc.

Many people believe that the song is more political or reflecting personal relationships than inspired by the family daily routine. All the more so because the album Ram is directed against John, some think most of the songs concern John, some think only two or three. So it would be a real breakthrough if you could find the interview and the link.   2ch

maybebaby

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2009, 07:48:23 AM »

This is what Paul said about the song in Club Sandwich No 72 (Winter 1994):

When my kids were young, they used to call milk "monk", for whatever reason that kids do - I think it's magical the way that kids can develop better names for things than the real ones. In fact, as a joke, Linda and I still occasionally refer to an object by that child-language name.

So, monk was always milk, and monkberry moon delight was a fantasy drink, rather like 'Love Potion No 9', hence the line in the song "sipping monkberry moon delight". It was a fantasy milk shake. Linda has always been very good at making milk shakes and our family is quite into them.

maywitch

• A Beginning
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2010, 10:36:36 PM »

Many people believe that the song is more political or reflecting personal relationships than inspired by the family daily routine. All the more so because the album Ram is directed against John, some think most of the songs concern John, some think only two or three. So it would be a real breakthrough if you could find the interview and the link.   2ch

I think there are a couple of brief subtle things directed towards John but otherwise I think that's it.  Paul did have other things going on in his life.  I don't remember Paul ever going into the kind of detail about MMD that is being discussed(about the kids drinking it in a barrel) but he definitely said in interviews that the name was inspired by his kids' name.  Like the Club Sandwich interview, that is similar to the version I always remember hearing.

I love this song.  I love how he sings it.  It's so unhinged, it kind of has a crazy sort of apocalyptic sound to it. :)  I especially love when he gets to the line about "Two youngsters concealed in a barrel" the way he just belts "youngsters" to the swell of the music. Very cool, very rockin'. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.714 seconds with 82 queries.