Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Ringo- amazing drummer?  (Read 38340 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Ringo- amazing drummer?
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2008, 10:44:07 AM »

Quote from: 216
How much of Ringo's drumming came out of his creativity and how much came from the other guys do you think? I only ask because every so often I read about how Paul or the others came up with an idea for the drum parts and then got Ringo to do it. How much did Ringo contribute on his own? Do we know? I mean, in ideas, not the actual execution which of course he did very well.

This is a good question and I dont think anybody has the answer to it.

I'm gonna guess that Ringo probably came up with the majority of the stuff himself. Paul, George Martin, and John probably told him if they didnt dig what he was doing and we do know that Paul at least told him what patterns he wanted on a few occasions (Ticket To Ride). But seriously, who knows.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2008, 10:56:28 AM »

Quote from: 373

I'm gonna guess that Ringo probably came up with the majority of the stuff himself. Paul, George Martin, and John probably told him if they didnt dig what he was doing and we do know that Paul at least told him what patterns he wanted on a few occasions (Ticket To Ride). But seriously, who knows.

I imagine that that's probably not unusual. Unless the drummer was involved in the writing of the song.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2008, 02:13:35 PM »

How much of Ringo's drumming came out of his creativity and how much came from the other guys do you think? I only ask because every so often I read about how Paul or the others came up with an idea for the drum parts and then got Ringo to do it.  

This is a banal answer, but I imagine it varied from song to song. He probably did receive more direction from Paul, particularly as the sixties wore on and Paul became much more definite about how he wanted his records to sound. There were probably varying degrees of give-and-take during rehearsals and recording sessions, too. Some songs were probably fairly quickly arranged and dispatched, others less so. Listening to the session tapes would surely help here.

Which leads to another point: for all the thousands of hours of interviews done with The Beatles, there's not all that much on the music itself. John talked about it in the 1980 Playboy interview, and Paul did the same in Many Years From Now, but offhand I don't recall much else. Maybe George did, too, in I, Me, Mine but I haven't seen that.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2008, 06:11:53 PM »

the beatles were all about the drum and bass combo :) and vocals.

technically not the best but very inventive drumming and mostly he had fun and loved what he was playing.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2008, 03:36:19 AM »

It seems like from what we've seen/heard of their sessions that he is usually quietly waiting. He never seems actively involved in what's going on really. But then we've only been privy to very little of their actual creative process. Or am I seeing this wrong?

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
  • Staple it toghether, we'll call it bad weather
« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2008, 06:33:18 AM »

I think that will make sense to any beatle lover who really does sleep with headphones on and panning to one side! LOL!

Haha I do that!!!!
MARTINA was HERE<br />[size=14]&quot;sit on my face and tell me that you love me&quot;[/size] -monty python <br />

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2008, 03:43:19 AM »

It seems like from what we've seen/heard of their sessions that he is usually quietly waiting. He never seems actively involved in what's going on really. But then we've only been privy to very little of their actual creative process. Or am I seeing this wrong?

Thats what i'm saying also. We never see the actual creative process. We have heard or maybe seen some footage of the studio sessions where the song already has a base, but the actual start from point 'A' is nonexistent so its hard to say.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2008, 04:59:25 PM »

Thats what i'm saying also. We never see the actual creative process. We have heard or maybe seen some footage of the studio sessions where the song already has a base, but the actual start from point 'A' is nonexistent so its hard to say.

One of the Day By Day discs documents the day when Paul was 'teaching' the rest 'Let It Be' Interesting stuff, I'll see if I can easily locate the right one (among 76 CD's).

BlueMeanie

« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2008, 05:04:17 PM »

It's Vol. 12, CD 1 & 2. If you're interested you can download it from here:

Volume 12 January 9 1969 - Twickenham 144.13mb mp3
http://6plus3.wordpress.com/category/mp3/page/2/

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »

I don't think he's AMAZING but it took some skill to play backwards. I think he did on Come Together.
playing right  handed GO RINGO

Beatlemania31

• A Beginning
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2008, 12:19:59 AM »

He may not be known for being a great drummer, but he really got the job done, which people overlook. He could keep any and all beats. He's AWESOME.

Beatlemania31

• A Beginning
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2008, 12:32:59 AM »

He may not be known for being a great drummer, but he really got the job done, which people overlook. He could keep any and all beats. He's AWESOME.

Oh Pineapple

• Getting Better
  • in the middle of the roundabout
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2008, 03:18:56 AM »

He's pretty good by my standards.
"..Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup, they slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe. Pools of sorrow waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind.."

Oh Pineapple

• Getting Better
  • in the middle of the roundabout
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2008, 03:21:49 AM »

....And apparently the other three lads as well!
I mean, obviously if they hated he's drumming style. He'd never had made it as far or become the fourth and final Beatle.
"..Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup, they slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe. Pools of sorrow waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind.."

EightDaysAWeek

• One And One Is Two
  • Love is old, love is new. Love is all, love is you
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2008, 02:54:13 PM »

Being a beginning drummer myself, I'm still learning the basics, but Ringo is an amazing drummer in my standards. He really showed his talent in Rain and The End. And I do think Ringo was great for his desire to not perform drum solos, which most drummers will fight with their band members to get. If you just watch his right hand...urgh, I can't even get my left hand to do anything seeing as I'm right-handed. But I'll teach myself eventually.
America: It's like Britain, only with buttons
Ringo Starr

missbluesky56

• A Beginning
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2008, 06:27:15 AM »

His drumming is unique and stylish, anyway, it is very late and I need to go to bed, Goodnight!!!
<br />All Together Now!!! Yellow Submarine<br />

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #156 on: September 03, 2008, 10:11:35 PM »

Ringo was in one of my math problems today. Nobody knew the answer except me. Go figure  :P

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #157 on: September 03, 2008, 10:33:07 PM »

^ something to do with.... beats-per-minute? (lol)
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2008, 11:53:05 PM »

No it was a true false question thing. Elton John played the piano (true), Ringo played the drums (true) and Elvis played the violin (false)  :P The other kids in my class didn't know who Elton John was let alone that he played the piano and they basically didn't know who Ringo was and that he played the drums for The Beatles.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2008, 09:07:15 PM »

^  That's so cool.  If the Beatles had been in more of my math problems, I would've been a better math student.   ;)

Anyway, I voted yes.  I like Ringo's drumming!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 94 queries.