Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: John Lennon Convention 2010  (Read 8418 times)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
Re: John Lennon Convention 2010
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 06:06:42 PM »

These were the original A side/b side combinations. No deciet - this is what Lennon was doing at the time. Like it or not John put Yoko's songs on there - she's merely doing what he did. If she changed them she'd be accused of revisionism or some such.
Lennon chose to make himself unseperable from Yoko, both as a person (we should call them Joko) and as an artist. This is the true nature of the genius you venerate. Yoko is merely reinforcing a fact, not creating an invention.  :)

I didn`t know about the original combinations. As for me I wouldn`t like to listen to Yoko.
And as for the fact that Lennon made himself inseparable from Yoko, I am all for it in ordinary life but not in artistic life. If a person wants to be inseparable from the other one then he truly loves her. This is fantastic. Test yourself and ask yourself the questions: Do you want to be with that person all the time? Do you remember her the minute you open your eyes in the morning? And all through the day? Do you miss her the minute you leave her and go home (for example). If not it`s sad.
John wanted to be inseparable from Yoko as a person, that is great, I support it. If he wanted to be with her in musical terms, then it shows his love all the more. Like Ritchie Blackmore, who is playing with his wife. Like Paul did with Linda. There`s nothing bad in it, I guess. Only fans wouldn`t want their beloved singers to act like that. And this is not the true nature of his genius. The true nature of his genius is his songs. Genius has nothing to do with being inseparable with the woman you love. But love has.  :)

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 12:43:03 PM »

To celebrate John's life this year I'm going to make a special tshirt

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:43:32 AM by Euan Buchan »

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 04:19:19 PM »

News from The Beatles Story newsletter

A two-month cultural programme will mark 70 years since Lennon's birth and 30 years since his untimely death

The city of Liverpool, birthplace of The Beatles, is to a host an extensive season of cultural events to celebrate the life of John Lennon, one of the world's most influential and legendary musicians, who was born in the city.

From October 9 - which would have been John Lennon's 70th birthday, to 9 December - the day after the 30th anniversary of his assassination; organisations in Liverpool will join forces to host a series of live music, film, poetry and art events which are estimated to bring tens of thousands of additional tourists to the city.

Events include ‘Lennon Remembered', a major tribute concert at the 11,000 seat Echo Arena, a major birthday celebration at the world-famous Cavern Club, a Lennon-inspired international poetry competition, film festival, lecture programme and visual art exhibitions at Liverpool John Moores University. White Feather: Spirit of Lennon, an exhibition about life with John Lennon by his son Julian and former wife Cynthia, has also been specially extended.

The organisation of the John Lennon Tribute Season is being led by the world's leading permanent Beatles-themed visitor attraction, the Beatles Story and a team including regional tourist board, The Mersey Partnership (TMP); Liverpool City Council; Liverpool attractions, Cavern City Tours, the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and shopping and leisure complex, Liverpool One.

Jerry Goldman, Managing Director of the Beatles Story said: "2010 is a big year for Beatles fans as it is 50 years since the band formed and 40 years since they split. Combine this with what would have been John Lennon's 70th birthday and the 30th anniversary of his death and you can see why we wanted to host a fitting tribute. The richness and diversity of the John Lennon Tribute Season represents the impact John's life had on music and culture, the city of Liverpool and fans all over the world".

Neil Scales, Chief Executive and Director General of Merseytravel, which owns the Beatles Story, said: "The Beatles legend is evergreen and attracts more followers all over the world with succeeding generations. It is fitting that we should mark this particular anniversary."

Councillor Gary Millar, the city's executive member for enterprise and tourism, said: "This Lennon Season will be a fitting way to remember two landmark anniversaries and an opportunity for the city to celebrate the legacy that John left for all. I am positive that the numerous fantastic events taking place will provide Lennon fans with a meaningful way in which to celebrate his life."

"I'm so pleased that the City Council is one of the key organisers of Lennon's tribute. I believe it's only right that the city gets involved and between October and December fondly remembers one of its greatest sons."

Liverpool's Lord Mayor, Councillor Mike Storey, said: "John Lennon is one of the most iconic figures of the Twentieth Century and a Liverpool lad who became known in every corner of the globe. His enduring message of peace is as important now as ever and continues to be an inspiration to many. The John Lennon Tribute Season will allow us to remember him as a man, celebrate his music, and his overall contribution to our city."

A selection of headline events from the John Lennon Tribute Season Programme:

Saturday 9 October - Thursday 9 December 2010

CAVERN CLUB - "Imagine" the tribute with Marcus Cahill: Daily

CAVERN CLUB - 70th Birthday Celebration Gig including top tribute acts: 9 October

FILM FESTIVAL - Liverpool ONE Odeon Cinema: November

LENNON POET 2010 - Major International Poetry Competition: Final in November

"AN EVENING WITH": Weekly lecture programme with Lennon friends and family: Dates TBC

LENNON ART: Exhibitions at Liverpool John Moores University: Dates TBC

LENNON STREET ENTERTAINERS FESTIVAL: Liverpool ONE: October

WALKING TOURS: View Lennon sites with VIP Guides: Weekly

WHITE FEATHER: The Spirit of Lennon: Exhibition by Julian & Cynthia Lennon, Beatles Story

JOHN LENNON REMEMBERED: Memorial Concert at The Echo Arena: 9 December (Tickets on sale 9am on the 9 April from ACC T: 0844 8000 400)

Almighty Doer of Stuff

• A Beginning
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 04:39:49 PM »

lololol i just realized "john lennon" and "convention" have the same vowel sounds in the same order roflmao [/idiocy]

Carry on...

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 05:58:57 PM »

I've been on a three week vacation to Mauritius and then got back to work on the John Lennon season. the Hard Day's Night hotel have agreed to participate and Fort Perch Rock have agreed to a John Lennon Weekend. I've been on to Roag Best and numerous people because I want the entire city to becomed involved.

lennonista

• One And One Is Two
  • ¡Viva la revolución!
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 02:49:36 AM »

Thank you for always keeping John's spirit alive and for being a positive advocate for his legacy. I think it's fantastic and very appropriate that the 'Pool is honoring John in this way, since he started it all.  8)

I have an idea for an exhibit... how about putting the original Daily Howl on display? Where is it... does Yoko have it?

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 09:11:31 AM »

Iam going to have a John Lennon kareoke session in a pub called The Banshee Labyrinth. I was there on Saturday and sang (Just Like) Starting Over & Imagine, they have lots of John songs on kareoke so will sing a few from there on his birthday.

Bobber

Re: John Lennon Convention 2010 + Other Celebrations
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 07:14:34 AM »

Something different for the anniversary of John's 70th birthday:

LENNON RELEASES BEGIN: Wednesday's announcement of the John Lennon Singles Box is one of special edition releases this year to honor what would have been Lennon's 70th birthday. The special editions were first announced when Yoko appeared at the NAMM convention in Anaheim. Additionally, we've already mentioned the "Double Fantasy" unplugged project, which is already being anticipated.

From examiner.com

Here's a peek inside The John Lennon Singles Bag that's out this Saturday on Record Store Day, April 17. We've seen costs advertised on the internet for this ranging from $17 to $23.  

* A 45 RPM vinyl copy of John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band "Mother"/Yoko Ono and the Plastic Ono Band "Why." Apple single 1827, printed on the green Apple label. The picture sleeve, as shown in the slideshow below, is heavier than the original.
    * A 45 RPM vinyl copy of John Lennon "Watching the Wheels"/Yoko Ono "Yes, I'm Your Angel." The record contains the original picture sleeve with the picture of John and Yoko walking out of the Dakota taken by Paul Goresh. As with the "Mother" single, it's printed on a heavier stock paper than the original. The record has a purple Capitol label that says "For Jukeboxes Only" on it.
    * A 45 RPM copy of John Lennon Plastic Ono Band "Imagine"/"It's So Hard." The record, Apple single 1940, is pressed on a gold/green Apple label with both apple pictures showing the outside of the apple, not outside and inside as the "Mother" single does.
    * Three 3x5 postcards of the pictures from the "Watching the Wheels" and "It's So Hard" singles, plus the cover of the "Imagine" album.
    * A 24" x 36" poster of the Ivor Sharp picture of John and Yoko taken during the bed-in.
    * A yellow 45 RPM single adaptor hub with the words "April 17, 2010," "John Lennon" and "Record Store Day" on each spoke. What's a single adaptor hub? Anyone who collected 45s will know. Given the significance of the 45 hub and the fact the 45 RPM singles are not as widespread as they used to be, we wonder if this will be one of the more collectible aspects of this package.

DrBOP

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 10:35:34 PM »

Mr. Harry: First off, THANK-YOU VERY MUCH for ALL the effort you are putting into the upcoming Lennon celebrations in Liverpool. I would imagine that a good time will be had by all. However, there will be MANY Lennon fans across the world who will not be able to attend the festivities, and I am among those unfortunates. (I live in East Ontario, Canada.) So, are there any plans for your specific gathering, or for any of the celebrations, to be streamed on the net? I would think that anyone who can afford to go will be there, and I'm pretty sure you will have "sell-out" conditionns for most everything planned for Oct9-Dec9, so streaming some/most of the activities won't hurt attendance figures. Further, tha actual cost of streaming on the net is low, and I am POSITIVE that there would be plenty of tech heads willing to assist you gratis.
PLEASE help out all of us global Lennon fans by streaming as much as possible. THANKS again! 2ch
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 51 queries.