Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 15823 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2021, 08:27:24 AM »

I love that

Dead grotty  ;D

So do I.  Good name for a thread.   ;D
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2021, 09:52:57 AM »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2021, 03:22:04 PM »

--
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 05:26:53 AM by Normandie »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #123 on: May 28, 2022, 01:00:39 AM »

--
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 05:27:29 AM by Normandie »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2023, 11:45:34 PM »

GRAMMARLY!  icon_mad  Along with any macro that tries to modify your writing. A new publisher asked me today to install it to use as a backup; they ask this of all freelancers. Now I can't get rid of the darn thing. The icon is even showing up on this page. I'll have to adjust the settings. Grrrrrr.

I've never used an auto-correct function that actually works. And a good editor shouldn't need one. I know I'm not alone in this opinion; all the editors I know get enraged by macros. The one in Word is awful; it's almost never right.

But this publisher pays quite well, so for the money I'll just suck it up and try to stop gritting my teeth.   :angel: 

Rant over.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 12:00:49 AM by Normandie »

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2023, 12:04:35 AM »

Signed up once for virus protection and a VPN. Both of which slowed my PC down. I quit both.

They still bug me to death  roll:)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2023, 01:37:22 AM »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2023, 01:38:45 AM »

GRAMMARLY!  icon_mad  Along with any macro that tries to modify your writing. A new publisher asked me today to install it to use as a backup; they ask this of all freelancers. Now I can't get rid of the darn thing. The icon is even showing up on this page. I'll have to adjust the settings. Grrrrrr.

I've never used an auto-correct function that actually works. And a good editor shouldn't need one. I know I'm not alone in this opinion; all the editors I know get enraged by macros. The one in Word is awful; it's almost never right.

But this publisher pays quite well, so for the money I'll just suck it up and try to stop gritting my teeth.   :angel: 

Rant over.  ;)

Nothing wrong with your prose, Kathy.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2023, 10:27:19 PM »

GRAMMARLY!  icon_mad 

I've managed to beat Grammarly into submission.  ha2ha

The  icon used to hover over any text I typed on my PC (which was unbelievably annoying). But by now I've disabled so many settings on the app, and shut it down so many times that it lurks meekly in the bottom corner of my screen. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 11:43:27 PM by Normandie »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2023, 10:34:42 PM »

^

Kathy, I've seen the Grammarly promos that appear before a YouTube video I want to watch starts.  I think your education and command of the language does't require such assistance.

Grammarly is good for school kids.  In many cases, their teachers could benefit from Grammarly too.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2023, 10:37:56 PM »

Kathy, I've seen the Grammarly promos that appear before a YouTube video I want to watch starts.  I think your education and command of the language does't require such assistance.

Grammarly is good for school kids.  In many cases, their teachers could benefit from Grammarly too.

Thanks, Barry. I lodged a mild complaint with the publisher who requires it that even using it as a backup (as they want) isn't helpful in the least. They agreed that it makes a lot of erroneous suggestions. At least I don't have to pay for it. I think I'd draw the line there. 

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #131 on: June 04, 2023, 11:00:36 PM »

During our long train ride in Canada we had 4 young ladies sat adjacent to us, 18 or 19 years old.
They were a bit giggly and a bit loud but just happy I guess.
Anyway you could hear every word and I started to "tune into" the number of time they said "like".

After an hour it was driving me crazy.  2ch

I just came across this quote from an anonymous study participant, and it brought this part of the thread to mind.

This has to be some kind of record-breaker. And this was one of the study staff, so well past teenagerhood, I would assume.

“It’d be smart to like have a couple ways of doing like, a video and then having like, just written out instructions and maybe like being like ‘Do you learn better by just reading things or like, through watching?’”

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2024, 09:52:03 PM »

I just read a funny article in The Telegraph (I'm avoiding the U.S. news media these days) about Finnair's decision to weigh passengers. The author included a satirical list of suggested "fees" for the following infractions. This had me laughing out loud. Most of these I don't mind too much. No. 2, though, particularly irritates me. A couple of years ago when I flew to Florida I had the misfortune of getting in line behind a large family who clearly hadn't flown before. They all swarmed the TSA agent at once and, of course, didn't have their screening items ready for the conveyor belt. Grrrr. I had to remind myself that I was once a first-time flyer, too, although that was way before these days of heightened security.

But there is a better way: charge customers according to what they deserve to pay. Infuriating flyers chip in more, perfect passengers (like us) cough up less. We’re used to additional costs now for check-in bags, seat selection and olive-less in-flight dining – so why not a menu of other payable extras? Here is a little list of suggested additional fees I happen to have been working on in my head every single second I’ve been in an aeroplane for the last decade or two. Don’t forget to add yours…

1. People who fall asleep on night flights with their reading light on: £9

2. People who turn up at the X-ray machines and haven’t taken their liquids and laptop out of their bag yet despite having been in the queue for the last 17 minutes: £50

3. Parents with stroppy toddlers: £20

4. Toddlers with stroppy parents: £40

5. People faffing around trying to keep their stupid jackets from getting creased because they’re wearing stupid jackets because they stupidly thought they might get a stupid upgrade that way: loud tutting

6. People who clap when the plane lands: £5 for under-16s, £500 for adults. Fee waived if this is one of those trips where the door blows off mid-flight

7. People who keep their seat reclined even during mealtimes (where do you think you are, ancient Rome?): 1000 denarii

8. Viewers watching a film next to you while you’re trying to read a book: £1 every time you are unable to resist glancing at their screen (estimated total: £2,500)

9. Armrest-hogs: hanging and flogging

10. Young people watching videos on their mobile without headphones: 1 mobile

11. People who stand up as soon as the plane lands: £60

12. “Hiya! Would you mind swapping seats so me and my boyfriend [whom I obviously don’t actually like enough to spend the extra £25 to ensure we sit together] can sit together?”: £40

13. “No. I particularly like this seat [which is identical in every single way to every other single seat on the plane], so you’ll just have to sit apart.”: £40

14. Neighbour nodding off on your shoulder: £80 and an indulgent smile

15. Neighbour nodding off on your shoulder with occasional spasmodic jerks: £90 and a gentle nudge

16. Neighbour nodding off on your shoulder with occasional spasmodic jerks and dribbling: £110 and a firm elbow in the ribs

17. People in the rows in front of you who choose “the chicken” so there’s none left by the time crew get to you and you have to have “the vegetarian” (ie. floppy pasta in reconstituted cheese sauce): the cost of your KFC upon landing

18. People with small bladders who sit in the window seat: £5 per “excuse me” (and yes, if there are three seats that side of the aisle, that’s a “double excuse me” – £10)

19. People with no empathy for those with small bladders who get put in the window seat: £5 per sigh

20. People who take their socks off: £800,000. Per sock.

21. People in the class above you: £1 squajillion. Just because.

22. People still texting after the plane has started moving, despite the clear rules against doing so and the (admittedly small) safety implications: Death in some kind of freak air accident that leaves everyone else on the plane mysteriously unharmed. And £20.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 09:56:43 PM by Normandie »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2024, 06:52:37 AM »

I don’t fly anywhere near as much as I used to. I can however sympathise with most of these. 

With respect to security check problems. One thing I’ve noticed even recently is that the signs they have up ahead of the security check often are the opposite of the security requirements.

For example I was heading for one flight where they had signs up saying to remove all iPads etc. when you got to the top of the queue the security personnel were barking at people to keep the iPads in their baggage.

The lack of  consistency on liquids is also annoying. On my last international flight whether you could take the wine you might purchase at duty free onto the flight depended where you were flying to. It seems the peril of liquids differs depending on where in the world you’re going.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2024, 05:39:07 PM »

I don’t fly anywhere near as much as I used to. I can however sympathise with most of these. 

With respect to security check problems. One thing I’ve noticed even recently is that the signs they have up ahead of the security check often are the opposite of the security requirements.

For example I was heading for one flight where they had signs up saying to remove all iPads etc. when you got to the top of the queue the security personnel were barking at people to keep the iPads in their baggage.

The lack of  consistency on liquids is also annoying. On my last international flight whether you could take the wine you might purchase at duty free onto the flight depended where you were flying to. It seems the peril of liquids differs depending on where in the world you’re going.

That does sound annoying. I haven't run in to those issues, probably because, other than Canada, I've never flown internationally.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2024, 09:38:12 PM »

I just read a funny article in The Telegraph (I'm avoiding the U.S. news media these days) about Finnair's decision to weigh passengers.

Kathy, I'm curious, did the author of that article mention Finnair's reason for weighing passengers?  As a pilot I can tell you that it would be appropriate for small aircraft shuttle flights.  Weight and Balance calculations are mandatory in small aircraft pre-flight checklists.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2024, 01:05:00 AM »

Kathy, I'm curious, did the author of that article mention Finnair's reason for weighing passengers?

Yes, Barry; here's a quote from the article: "It is, insists Finnair, merely part of a plan to update their stats on average passenger weight – which they use for calculations on safe load limits and fuel use."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: February 12, 2024, 01:22:36 AM »

^

Thanks, Kathy.  That explains it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Page created in 0.96 seconds with 73 queries.