Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Remasters!  (Read 64441 times)

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Remasters!
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2007, 12:10:11 PM »

Quote from: 483

They could produce two versions. Been done before. I'd love to see boxed sets like the Living In The Material World one.

I bought Forever Changes also. Don't know much about Love, and it's one of those 'classic' albums that you think you have to have. Pretty good too, but yep, trashed by the extras. I hate extra stuff, either put it on another cd or leave it off. If it wasn't good enough in the first place then it's not now!

Extras should always be reserved for special compilations, and that way you can determine what you want in your buys. CSN did a fantastic 4-CD set. Loads of interesting alternative stuff. If they get the track selections right, it can be really cool. But, putting extras on CSN CDs like they recently have, is bloody annoying cos I have to buy them again to get the extra stuff and I can't afford it right now. Those extra tracks should be on another CSN compilation of rare stuff. Probably other bits and bobs in the vaults too.
All You Need Is LOVE!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2007, 12:16:52 PM »

They could produce two versions. Been done before. I'd love to see boxed sets like the Living In The Material World one.

I bought Forever Changes also. Don't know much about Love, and it's one of those 'classic' albums that you think you have to have. Pretty good too, but yep, trashed by the extras. I hate extra stuff, either put it on another cd or leave it off. If it wasn't good enough in the first place then it's not now!
Love the trumpets on Alone again Or.
the line from Live and Let live: "Oh the snot has caked against my pants" really bugs me.

don't follow leaders

thefadedline

• A Beginning
  • I'm an idler's dream
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2007, 12:33:39 PM »

Going back here a little but I didn't mean to offend anyone. I just thought that 4 years is quite a long time to buy their CD's. I try and buy at least a new CD a month so I suppose I just wasn't thinking. I am one to talk, though. I have been into them for 2 years now and I still only have Abbey Road, White Album, Sgt. Pepper and Love!

Anyways, I don't see the point in remastering. What makes them so great is how they sound. Were they remastered when they first went to CD?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2007, 01:00:35 PM »

Quote from: 4
Were they remastered when they first went to CD?

Yes, but not very well, even considering the technology at the time.

The cuurent CD's sound awful, so I'm all for it.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2007, 02:54:26 PM »

Maybe we should have a Beatles outtakes etc Boxset but i suppose
we've already got the Anthology set for that. I've got a lot of bootlegs so
it really dosen't bother me anyway. I do think that the extra demos
on the George Harrison re-issues were a bit lame, maybe a George Harrison
Anthology (like Lennon's) would have been good for that.
I am a obsessive for group's outtakes, demos etc but i can see it
from other people's point of view.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

BlueMeanie

« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2007, 08:11:36 AM »

It's all gone worryingly quite.

Bobber

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2007, 09:39:02 AM »

Harrison widow sees Beatles online deal in '08

Beatles fans will probably have to wait until next year before they can buy the Fab Four's tunes from online retailers such as Apple's iTunes store, George Harrison's widow said on Friday.

A recent settlement to a lengthy trademark dispute between Apple and the Beatles' company, Apple Corps, has cleared the way for the band to distribute its catalogue in cyberspace.

But Olivia Harrison told Reuters, "We just have a few things to work out elsewhere."  

Specifically, all the Beatles CDs have been remastered -- good news for fans who have long complained about the poor sound quality -- and the organization wants to get the artwork ready for the physical packages.
Asked if the catalogue would be available online by the end of next year, she said, "Oh God, yeah. Hope so ... I don't know if it would be the end of this year, but it would be nice. Imminent, let's put it that way."

Paul McCartney, who has adopted an aggressive digital marketing strategy for the release next week of his solo album, "Memory Almost Full," told trade publication Billboard last month that an online deal for the Beatles catalogue was "virtually settled." But he, too, shied away from saying that anything would happen in the short term.

The Beatles are the highest-profile omission from digital retailers. While the dispute with Apple did not help, the band's organization has traditionally adopted a conservative approach to new technology, including CDs.

"I think we're a little bit behind," Harrison said, noting that it was "ridiculous" that properly remastered CDs of the band's catalogue were not yet available.

"We (the band's members and widows) all agree. It's been done. It's just trying to now get it out there."

She said that Neil Aspinall, the recently retired businessman who oversaw the group's complex business affairs, had been busy in recent years on the remastering project.

"That's a big job. That means you have to go back through all the archives and find great photographs and really give a nice package to the fans."

Aspinall retired in April and was replaced by Jeff Jones, an American music industry executive who specializes in deluxe reissues of classic albums. Harrison said Aspinall's departure was voluntary, dispelling fan speculation to the contrary.

But she said Jones would "pick up the pace" now that the most recent project, a Beatle-inspired Cirque du Soleil stage show in Las Vegas, was underway after years of preparation initiated by her husband before he died in 2001.

nousha

• A Beginning
  • Fairy witch
    • My Poetry
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2007, 09:43:17 AM »

physical packages.
What does this mean? The records could be bought on real CDs as well? I continue being confused about all this... sorry for my insistent asking for information  :B
On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux   My blogspace

BlueMeanie

« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2007, 10:40:14 AM »

Quote from: 552
What does this mean? The records could be bought on real CDs as well? I continue being confused about all this... sorry for my insistent asking for information  :B

It means that as usual, Apple are lagging behind. They're now putting back the date for re-issues (both on CD, and mp3) until the end of this year at the earliest. It had better be a damn good package!!

nousha

• A Beginning
  • Fairy witch
    • My Poetry
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2007, 09:22:46 PM »

Well, at least there will be CDs (unless Apple changes its mind)...
On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux   My blogspace

maninthequeue

• A Beginning
  • the love you take is equal to the love you make
    • Buzzjack.com
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2007, 08:22:28 PM »

It's all gone worryingly quite.

No, I just think that Apple Corps are giving time for the new McCartney MAF album & CD reissue of the Travelling Wilburys Collection to do their business before moving on to the Beatles remasters & digital downloads later in the year.

Bobber

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2007, 08:01:52 AM »

Welcome to the forums, maninthequeue....Hope you'll enjoy them!  ;)

maninthequeue

• A Beginning
  • the love you take is equal to the love you make
    • Buzzjack.com
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2007, 08:07:00 PM »

Quote from: 63
Welcome to the forums, maninthequeue....Hope you'll enjoy them!  ;)

Cheers,

Yes this is a good place. I'm glad I've found it.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2007, 09:20:36 PM »

Re-issues we need:

Yesterday & Today
A Hard Days Night (US version)
Revolver (US version)
Collection of Beatles Oldies
Hollywood Bowl

maybe i'm asking too much but they would fit nicely along with the Capitol re-issues.
 :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

BlueMeanie

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2007, 08:09:05 AM »

Quote from: 614
Re-issues we need:

Yesterday & Today
A Hard Days Night (US version)
Revolver (US version)
Collection of Beatles Oldies
Hollywood Bowl

maybe i'm asking too much but they would fit nicely along with the Capitol re-issues.
 :)

Well, 3 of those would be on a Capitol Vol 3 wouldn't they? As that hasn't happened yet, I guess it's not going to. You'd rather have this lot before the UK catalogue is released?

Waspinators

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2007, 04:00:35 AM »

I have all these albums:
-Please Please Me
-With The Beatles
-A Hard Day's Night
-Beatles For Sale
-Help!
-Rubber Soul
-Revolver
-Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
-Magical Mystery Tour
-The Beatles
-Yellow Submarine
-Abbey Road
-Let It Be
-The Beatles' Christmas Album
-Past Masters, Volume One
-Past Masters, Volume Two
-Live At The BBC
-Anthology 1
-Anthology 2
-Anthology 3
-Let It Be... Naked
-Love

And guess how much I paid? $0. See I'm only 15, and not at all made of money, so I hunted for downloads, dug deep into the Internet, borrowed some CDs from friends, and ended up with a complete collection. No boxes, but who cares? The media player I use has a zoomable album art window, and my MP3 player displays album art too! I hope the other poster was correct about the remastered files appearing in torrents.
<br />Back in the USSR, you don't know how lucky you are.

nousha

• A Beginning
  • Fairy witch
    • My Poetry
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2007, 07:41:59 AM »

Quote from: 736
I hunted for downloads, dug deep into the Internet, borrowed some CDs from friends, and ended up with a complete collection. No boxes, but who cares? The media player I use has a zoomable album art window, and my MP3 player displays album art too! I hope the other poster was correct about the remastered files appearing in torrents.

Here, where I live, people mainly download music from Internet. Music is too expensive for us to buy, even with lower CD prices made for poorer countries like mine. I have the complete Beatles discography, Anthology series etc. downloaded. I deleted most of it because this is the only band whose albums I want to have in real CD format, boxes etc. See, I have original CDs and DVDs of Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, for example. But the only band I'm a real fan to are the Beatles, so how could I not have their original albums...

The only problem is I am not well up in all the CD release stuff, in other words I don

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2007, 02:28:03 PM »

Nousha, I wish I could advise you. I'm sure someone on this board knows all about the best UK albums to buy. I just bought whatever was available at the time that I wanted it. I don't really know what I have that is remastered, but it's probably all stereo instead of mono. Er, it sounds fine to me! Good luck in your quest. :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Bobber

« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2007, 02:44:44 PM »

Mono was the thing in the sixties, so if you want to listen to the records as The Beatles intended them to be, you gotta have the mono-versions. Stereo was used more from the late 60's I think. We are all waiting for the complete catalogue to be remastered. Not sure when that will appear. It might be worth waiting for. In the meantime, I should go for the mono's.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2007, 03:21:46 PM »

Quote from: 63
Mono was the thing in the sixties, so if you want to listen to the records as The Beatles intended them to be, you gotta have the mono-versions. Stereo was used more from the late 60's I think. We are all waiting for the complete catalogue to be remastered. Not sure when that will appear. It might be worth waiting for. In the meantime, I should go for the mono's.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will), but I thought that only the first 4 CD's from the UK catalogue are released in mono? And once again I stand corrected, but wasn't Abbey Road only ever issued in stereo?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 86 queries.