Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28

Author Topic: Who should become the next US president?  (Read 63544 times)

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Who should become the next US president?
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2008, 08:41:25 PM »

I think I am too young to talk, but as just merely an opinion NOT TO CAUSE TROUBLE....my vote would have gone to Mitt Romeny prior to his dropping out...now my vote is with John McCain.....

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2008, 09:30:43 PM »

Quote from: 668
I think I am too young to talk, but as just merely an opinion NOT TO CAUSE TROUBLE....my vote would have gone to Mitt Romeny prior to his dropping out...now my vote is with John McCain.....

Hi DSL - no trouble caused, I think all are welcome on this forum!

Remember to always ask yourself - WWGD?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2008, 02:30:28 AM »

Quote from: 668

Perfectly all right; just say whatever you think. All I'm doing here is throwing my two cents worth in, and it may be overvalued at even that price! :)

But keep an eye on Romney, though: he gives every sign of wanting to run again, and may well do so in 2012 or 2016. He's 61 right now, I think.

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
  • Staple it toghether, we'll call it bad weather
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2008, 03:04:17 AM »

anyone but bush :) ;) :P ;D
MARTINA was HERE<br />[size=14]&quot;sit on my face and tell me that you love me&quot;[/size] -monty python <br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2008, 03:10:26 AM »

Quote from: 1213
anyone but bush :) ;) :P ;D

He's done, but don't forget about brother Jeb.

Just a heads up.... ;D

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2008, 03:14:31 AM »

hehe...i am so sick of having to call bush mr. president. i have been waiting for this moment for along time
MARTINA was HERE<br />[size=14]&quot;sit on my face and tell me that you love me&quot;[/size] -monty python <br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2008, 03:34:08 AM »

I can't wait to see the memoir we finally get out of him. Bet Cheney ghost writes it. ;D

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2008, 03:37:31 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2008, 03:58:54 AM »

Quote from: 1161
I can't wait to see the memoir we finally get out of him. Bet Cheney ghost writes it. ;D

Working title:
"How I got my heart rate in the cardio range, and stayed in shape despite a bum knee, during my Presidency. Oh, and some of that other stuff, you know."
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2008, 04:08:40 AM »

How about: "Everything I know about hunting I learned from Dick Cheney."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Cheney_hunting_incident

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2008, 04:11:41 AM »

bang bang, you're dead! (well, almost)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2008, 04:43:08 AM »

One more campaign turn for anyone keeping track... :)

How Obama Fell to Earth

By DAVID BROOKS
Published: April 18, 2008

Back in Iowa, Barack Obama promised to be something new

BlueMeanie

« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2008, 11:55:30 AM »

I think both Obama and Clinton should be ashamed of themselves for their quite appalling behaviour. If these were children we'd send them to bed early without any supper. In fact  I've seen children behave better than that. Frankly I feel sorry the teaching profession that does it's best to establish good values amongst it's pupils, and send them out into the world as responsible adults, only for them to go home and see these two poor excuses for human beings on the TV. Bloody shocking. And let's not forget that these two are handing the title of Leader of The Free World to a Republican. Again! I do hope that the rest of the free world can think up some good ways of repaying them!

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2008, 01:52:50 PM »

I don't believe David Brooks' gloom saying anymore than I believed the earlier dazzle-eyed excitement. It's a long, wearing race, and commentators are trying to turn this into a soap opera as opposed to an effort to inform the public. And the candidates are apparently (to my disappointment) pitching their appeals on that level.

What's really digusting is the state of American integrity is so bad I have no confidence in the voting system. Right now it's down to who can rig the machines the best. Since I really believe the Republicans are behind most of the hinkey sh*t, that means how well can the Democrats counter with paper trails etc., and how ugly will the arguing be. I really think the United States needs to be supervised like the childish country it's become. We aren't adults anymore, we're spoiled children. It shows in our values and in our political process.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »

Quote from: 551
I don't believe David Brooks' gloom saying anymore than I believed the earlier dazzle-eyed excitement.

A sensible stance, and we're going to see some more turns in the conventional wisdom about this campaign and its candidates before this is over. But I have noticed that some of my Republican friends are feeling downright perky these days: I was talking to a guy the other day who said we (meaning his side) either get to run against a condescending Adlai Stevenson liberal or a serial liar who's married to another serial liar. I told him that after Labor Day his guy was going to have to start defending his Iraq War policy and explain why he couldn't keep his Sunnis and Shiites and Al Qaeda straight. He asked me who I thought working class voters in Ohio would go for: the guy who wants to win that war or the guy who just called them all losers for having guns and being religious?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2008, 12:53:22 AM »

Quote from: 1161

It was in New Hampshire, actually. As I'm sure you know, the state motto there is "Live Free Or Die," and you mess with those people at your own risk.

Scroll down to the "Personal" section here; there's a line or two about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Souter

I love that motto for some reason. It cracks me up. That and Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death! Those revolutionaries weren't playing. Oh, Fight or Die was another great one. Been watching the John Adams Bio on HBO. Love the scene where the battered rebels walk by carrying those flags.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2008, 05:55:17 PM »

From this morning's NYT

Road Map to Defeat

By BOB HERBERT
Published: April 19, 2008
The Democrats are doing everything they can to blow this presidential election. This is a skill that comes naturally to the party. There is no such thing as a can

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2008, 01:44:16 PM »

Politics as theater; or should I say gesture?

AuFIDJkZ7NQ

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2008, 02:39:39 PM »

Sorry Geoff, I'm skipping one post back to BOB HERBERT. He makes some good points, and I think the Democrats seriously need to get their act together (but I've thought that for a long time).

But let us not overlook the fact that both Obama and Clinton are up against someone who is apparently clueless about the issues, not a particularly clever man and a morally weak character to boot. Flawed as either Democrat may be in certain ways, they can't come close to McCain's shortcomings, and I think it's only fair to bring McCain's strengths and weaknesses into the debate.

Let's pick a recent interview, where McCain made such outrageous statements that your coworkers would jeer you out of the coffee room for being an idiot. Despite that fact that the interviewer neglected to follow-up with any tough or pertinent questions, McCain manages to hang himself anyway. Here, in all its glory is:

John McCain thinks you don't deserve the same healthcare he's got.

You can read a more complete article here:

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/04/20/this-week-bringing-up-mccains-life-long-federally-provided-health-care-is-a-cheap-shot/

A friend provided a summary, which I edited slightly:

Asked "what's wrong with government-run healthcare" (which McCain has) he responds:

"What's wrong with it? Go to Canada. Go to England and you can find out what's wrong with it. Governments don't make the right decisions. Families make the right decisions."

WHAT IS THIS IDIOT TALKING ABOUT!?!?

"Families" are NOT making healthcare decisions in this country. Healthcare decisions are being made by corporations THAT HAVE NO INTEREST IN HEALTHCARE. THAT IS THE PROBLEM!

Where are all these "families" who have the option of making healthcare decisons for themselves and their loved-ones? I don't know any. Everyone I know is just like me -- I get a "choice" of ONE insurance plan -- the one that my employer offers. I can "decide" to have access ONLY to those doctors, medications and procedures that THE INSURANCE COMPANY agrees to pay for. Everything else comes out of my own pocket and my pockets are not deep. And if I got dropped by my insurance company, I would get to "decide" on...paying full price for healthcare or not. In other words, having healthcare or not. That is the only "decision" I would get to make.

What a jerk.

===
Me, again. I will add for myself that I am self-employed and therefore _all_ my healthcare costs come out of my own pocket. I get _no_ assistance or insurance of any kind-- full price for everything (except a true "catastrophic" event that will likely bankrupt me anyway, as it's doing for Americans all over our country-- and yes, I know some of them.)

This ill-informed statement is coming from someone who has had government-provided health care all his life, first from the military and then from the Senate. So he doesn't even have to pay for his care, despite marrying a multi-millionaire which is the only way you can really afford "choice" in this country. Unfortunately, most of us haven't done that.

I enjoyed reading the comments below the (lack of) health care article as well. Several Canadians and Brits (can I say that here?) weighed in with their view. Let me just say, they are not envying our fine system of "feed the insurance companies even more when they are increasingly refusing to pay for any health care whatsoever."

Even better, I found a great link to a true conservative who is bashing McCain as

THE MOST FLAWED PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE IN HISTORY

http://www.wcltam.com/news/special/articledetail.cfm?articleid=23261

So Republicans might want to read this one, and see how far short of traditional conservative values this candidate falls.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2008, 03:32:55 PM »

"What's wrong with it? Go to Canada. Go to England and you can find out what's wrong with it. Governments don't make the right decisions. Families make the right decisions."

This is about as fatuous as political rhetoric gets, which is saying something. What he's getting at, of course, is the idea that nationalized health care systems are usually underfunded because of accelerating costs and that health care in these countries is therefore rationed: everybody's in the system, but they have to wait. It's an appeal to the Republican Party's anti-government base, notably stripped of any real argument and presented instead as pious twaddle about virtuous families standing against Big Bad Government. The idea is to slide by any politically hazardous substantive debate about how people are to access the health care system and switch the rhetorical ground to whether you want the government to run the health care system or not. The simpler proposition is usually the winning one in politics, and if you can reduce a complex subject to a simple emotionally laden yes-or-no slogan, you'll usually win. That's what McCain is trying to do here.

As I suggested above, I think that Obama's going to be the nominee and that the Democrats will almost surely win in November barring a catastrophic outbreak of stupidity or incompetence on their own part. It's only April, after all. It will take a major terrain-altering event, not internal political rivalries, to change that, I think. :)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28

Page created in 0.783 seconds with 79 queries.