Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Microscope: Wonderwall Music  (Read 16301 times)

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Re: Microscope: Wonderwall Music
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 10:34:12 AM »

It 'might' have been? I think I'm closer with the 'million times more interesting' estimate!

Quite apart from the world events of 1968, in the same month, or thereabouts, as the release of 'Wonderwall Music', the 'White Album', 'Electric Ladyland', 'S.F. Sorrow', 'Astral Weeks' and 'Beggar's Banquet' were all released.
The music wasn't 'better per se', it was just better! Much, much better.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 10:51:55 AM »

Still I think that Damien Rice's latest album (2014) is much better than George Harrisons Wonderwall Music (1968).

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 11:13:21 AM »

Still I think that Damien Rice's latest album (2014) is much better than George Harrisons Wonderwall Music (1968).

I think george should be content that he had the second best solo release by a Beatle while they were still Beatles. .

I'll give the first place nod to Paul. Can't say I know The Family Way that well but as it won an Ivor Novello award it probably deserves first spot. 

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 12:01:23 PM »

Oh to be in the 'self-indulgent late 60s'.....about a million times more interesting than 2014.

Just to clarify things obs; I was referring to the self indulgent late 60s arthouse film movement, not the late 60s themselves.

Many things are better now than they were then (travel, communication/access to information, technology, medicine, cuisine etc etc) but more interesting? Hmmmm.... entertainment, and I'd agree especially music, was FAR better (and more interesting) then than now in my opinion.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 12:25:52 PM »

Girls were easier too.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 05:49:02 PM »

I'd only agree to one improvement in 2014 over the 60s.
Namely, the fact we have so much music/film/TV from the past we can enjoy.
That said, in the 60s you didn't need to access the past, cos it was the 60s! Who was thinking about 1947 in 1964, when you could walk down the road and see The Beatles or The Stones?

As such, the best thing about 2014 is that you can pretty much completely avoid 2014!

All the other stuff you mention, Mr. Mustard, no.

Medicine? Who for? Maybe if you have money it might be. The NHS was in a far 'healthier' position 50 years ago than it is today.

Cuisine? Can't vouch for anywhere else, but there were far fewer obese people in Britain back then and junk food was clearly far less of a problem. The healthiest generation Britain ever had was the one that had rationing as children, i.e. Paul McCartney's one.

Travel? I'd have preferred to have seen virtually anywhere before the onslaught of cheap travel/mass communication, and travelling within London is at breaking point today.

Apart from that, everything's fab!

Bobber

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 06:15:03 PM »

Still I prefer Damien Rice's new album (2014) over George Harrisons Wonderwall Music (1968). And the chance to survive a disease like cancer is slightly better nowadays.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 07:38:45 PM »

Cancer survival is much better now Bobber, not slightly better.

And that's just one example where obs lives in a fool's paradise/bubble pretending things are awful now and were great then. Life expectancy is so much better now because medical advancement is so much better now.

I love the 60s obs but there's no future in living in the past!  ;)

By the way, one of the trendy 60s boutique founders of "Biba" was interviewed recently and commented how boring food was back in the 60s. Foreign food if available at all came out of a cardboard box and tasted the same as that box. People were slimmer because food was bloody horrible, they ate so much less and had so much less choice, a lot of food then was truly awful. Good immunity systems though, them 40s kids, eating worms and mud and playing in bomb craters, I'll give you that!

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 01:48:42 AM »

I've listened to this several years ago. I remember liking "On The Bed".
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2014, 02:05:19 AM »

I love the 1960's, especially the music. I can't find such enjoyment (talking about music) in any other decade.

However, here in Argentina in the 1960's I couldn't have had access to a lot of great music, simply because I wouldn't have had easy access to information. Probably I would have only known about the Beatles, the Stones and maybe Dylan. Even if as a music fan I wanted to look for music by myself, it would have been very hard to get those records.

Again, the 1960's may be my favorite era I never lived. But I've recorded an album called "Nostalgia of Future Times..."
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2014, 03:02:32 AM »

Wonderwall Music

1.   Microbes – Oh the ear piercing Indian snake charming instrument.  It’s a cross between a siren and Yucko singing.  I’m 20 seconds into this and I’m p*ssed off already.  Horrible.  Just a bunch of noises with a constant sitar loop in the background.

2.   Red Lady Too – I really dig the bass part played on the piano for some reason.  The brushes sound good on the snare.  A pretty decent little dity.  Nothing great for sure, but at least its music in the bigger sense.

3.   Tabla and Pakavaj – The sitar loop again accompanied by massive Indian percussion that speeds up in the end for a huge cluster.  At least its short.

4.   In The Park – The stringed instrument that starts the song off is nice.  The sitar playing sounds like a tuning session before you actually start playing it.  Percussion comes in around the 1:30 mark, that adds to the song.  Again, I don’t know the name of the stringed instrument that’s being played (not the sitar), but its cool.  All in all, not my cup of tea and way too long.

5.   Drilling A Home – Cool 20’s or 30’s ragtime jam.  Something old Paul would relish in im sure.  Great piano playing.  Horn comes in at the :54 mark.  1:05 song changes tempo.  Thunder and rain in the background.  Dig the sax.  2:15 song changes tempo again.  Maybe its not the tempo, but it just comes in again after a short stoppage.  The skipping record ending is neat I guess.  I admit that this song is a guilty pleasure of mine and I find it to be easily the best thing on this record, but that’s not hard to do.

6.   Guru Vandana – Damn if the beginning of this song doesn’t remind me of the Benny Hill theme song.  Its just the ear piercing snake charming instrument again with the sitar loop.  Horrendous.

7.   Greasy Legs – Starts with a building noise that I can only explain as it sounding like a huge bee buzzing.  0:35 mark a piano or synthesizer plays with a flute coming in a tad later.  Just noises really.  Horrible once again.

8.   Ski-ing – Actual real drumming with some electric guitar on top of the sitar loop.  Lead guitar noodling with the rhythm guitar playing the same thing over and over again.  Pretty tasty lead playing though (Clapton?).  Don’t know who it was.  Regardless, its short and senseless.

9.   Gat Kirwani – Some pretty quick sitar playing with fast percussion in the background.  I guess I’ll just never like Indian music, because this sucks too.  Really short and that’s a good thing.

10. Dream Scene – Harp or that danged Indian string instrument I don’t know the name of, strums in the beginning with some fading in and outs of some other Indian instrument.  There is singing in this and it would have been better served without.  Sounds like a 70 year old guy singing jibber jabber through a 1920’s radio.  A girl sings too that sounds like something off of those Japanese monster movies. 2:28 the song changes with a piano and the snake charming instrument with bits and pieces of drums and flute fading in and out.  3:25 it changes again with a something that sounds like a dying trumpet.  A harmonica, sax, and siren comes in a little later along with a guitar and mumbling.  This is just a mess and I cant take it anymore.

11. Party Seacombe – Acoustic guitar with some drums and a cool bass line.  Electric guitar comes in and plays some.  Organ also plays.  1:15 the tambourine starts playing.  This whole song reminds me of Flying off of MMT.  Nothing really happens during the song except for constant noodling, but its not a chore to listen to like most of the rest.

12. Love Scene – More Indian music that doesn’t make sense.  Constant sitar plucking on top of the sitar loop.  Percussion comes in at the :40 mark or so.  All these songs sound just like ‘Within You Without You’ to me.  That’s not a good thing.

13. Crying – Painful is the only words I can think of.  Was Yoko on this track?  Crying is what I’m doing right now.

14. Cowboy Music – A Happy Trails beginning.  The plodding country song.  Harmonica and electric slide guitar with accordion in background.  No thanks.

15. Fantasy Sequins – The snake charmer again.  Seriously, it sounds like a dying cat.  :45 organ and Indian cymbals  come in.  Its short and not much to it.

16. On The Bed – A trumpet on top of a guitar plodding loop.  Some bass comes in for a few seconds.  :55 drums come in.  Song just keeps building layers of different instruments and things.  For some reason this is tolerable to me.  It’s the trumpet melody I think.  Short once again.

17. Glassbox – Just more Indian music.  It all sounds the same so there’s no use in trying to explain it any further.  Garbage.

18. Wonderwall To Be Here – Piano, drums, and a Moody Blues organ sounding like strings behind it.  A tiny cymbal or chime keeps getting hit that detracts from listening to the other instruments.   So short it doesn’t matter.

19. Singing Om – Great, singing out of key with an organ in the background.  Like monks chanting.  Flute comes in and takes a solo.  More lame singing.  Sounds like when your at the doctors office and he tells you to say AHHH when he sticks the dispenser down your throat.  At least it’s the last song.

What kind of a person can sit down and enjoy this crap? 19 #$%^ing songs.  Thanks George.  I hate when its work to listen to any album.  This one is work.  I’m not a fan of his Indian music and this thing has loads of it.  I forgot that I liked ‘Drilling A Home’ so there was at least one positive to this experience.  The sad thing is this record is better then ‘Electric Sounds’ and I know that its next.  Damn me for being a collector.  Back to the dust bunnies for this one.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2014, 03:23:16 AM »

13 Crying
The title is alright: it sounds like Yoko Ono on an Indian instrument, not sure what it is. It is even more painful to the ears than Yoko herself.

13. Crying – Painful is the only words I can think of.  Was Yoko on this track?  Crying is what I’m doing right now.

ha2ha

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2014, 04:24:15 AM »

Apropos of Bobber and Tkitnas review of Crying, imagine an alternative Beatle history where Yoko hooked up with George instead

Not that Yoko was ever going to settle for third best Beatle wise.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2014, 05:20:41 AM »

Not that Yoko was ever going to settle for third best Beatle wise.

She settled for second best, so its not out of the realm of possibility.

Bobber

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2014, 09:35:08 AM »

Cancer survival is much better now Bobber, not slightly.

I know. I write almost daily about this. :)

Bobber

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2014, 09:35:59 AM »

Nice review Todd. I knew you could do it. I really enjoyed reading that.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2014, 12:50:43 PM »

Mr. Mustard, the ONLY future is living in the past.

The greatest pop record by a country mile this year is 'The Basement Tapes'. Hands down, by miles.
The greatest pop record by a country mile in 2013 was 'Live at the BBC'.
The greatest 'new' release of the 21st Century was 'Smile' in 2011.

People who consume music made in 2014 might as well exist on a diet of McDonald's 24/7 as well (I think most of them do!).
It would have as much protein as their musical intake.

Tamara

• A Beginning
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2014, 02:58:30 PM »

People who consume music made in 2014 might as well exist on a diet of McDonald's 24/7 as well (I think most of them do!).
It would have as much protein as their musical intake.

You obviously don't have a clue what is being made in these days. There is more than just Bieber and all that.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2014, 07:19:48 PM »

It's better than 'Smile', The Beatles and 'The Basement Tapes'?

If you want me to pretend it is, I will.
I'll go up to the first 30 year old I see tomorrow and tell them that they're really lucky to be living in such stimulating times!

Bobber

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »

It's a pity that Jethro Tulls album Living In The Past is from 1972.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.586 seconds with 80 queries.