Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 151768 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2010, 12:28:24 AM »

Right!  Recorded or live, they sound great...

Beach Boys high harmony at 27-30 seconds:

The Beach Boys-Wendy

Beatles high harmony at 37-41 seconds:
The Beatles - Because

Coincidence, or influence? 

:D
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #141 on: February 07, 2010, 12:31:46 AM »

Me too. Everly Brothers. Andrews Sisters (seriously). Lennon and McCartney - may as well have been sibs!

Alexis, I was thinking of The Everly Brothers and The Andrews Sisters when I posted that.  I was also thinking of The Bee Gees and The Cowsills (seriously  ;)).
I can stay till it's time to go

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #142 on: February 07, 2010, 12:33:53 AM »

Bee Gees, how could I forget them!!!!  ;sorry

Cowsills - tip of my tongue, but can't remember them too much. Have to do some YTR (youtube research!).
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2010, 12:35:02 AM »

Influence  ;)  
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 12:46:47 AM by Hello Goodbye »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2010, 12:38:21 AM »

Cowsills - tip of my tongue, but can't remember them too much.

The Cowsills, yesterday...

"Hair" by the Cowsills

...and today...

Hair by The Cowsills

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2010, 12:58:09 AM »

^^ I know that song! Didn't know they were sibs. Two guys and a girl?

Here's something, don't know if they're sibs ...  ;)
The Four Freshmen - Day by day

I might be a bit too enamored of stuff like this, but I LOVE drawing lines from really old groups to the groups we love: Four Freshman ... Beach Boys .... +/- Beatles (even though contemporaries, I think the Beach Boys inspired the Lads from Liverpool too). I think one thing that makes the Beatles special is that so many lines can be drawn to them - harmonies like the Everly's, Country/Rockabilly like Carl Perkins, RxB like Little Richard/Chuck Berry/Jerry Lee Lewis/Isley's, harmonies like the Shirelles and Shangri-Las, Soul like Arthur Alexander ... Lots of groups were good, but I think most probably had one or maybe two obvious influences (Stones >> Muddy Water-type blues, for example). But the Beatles were so diverse in their influences, they were untouchable, IMHO.

I've looked a few times for some obvious lines from the Andrews Sisters to the Beatles, maybe via the black girl groups of the mid- to late-50's, but never have been able to do that. Maybe the connection just isn't there, with the black girl groups getting their stuff from gospel music in church, rather than crooning pop radio of the 40s. It's funny, because in the 3 sister's harmonies I hear vocal arrangements that seem almost identical to the way J/P/G would split their duties up.

Now that I think of it, maybe it goes like this: Andrews Sisters >> Teddy Bears >> Beatles?

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2010, 01:01:41 AM »

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2010, 01:16:26 AM »

^^ I know that song! Didn't know they were sibs. Two guys and a girl?

The Cowsills, from Newport, Rhode Island, were five brothers (Bill, Bob, Barry, John and Paul) and their sister Susan ("and spaghetti!") along with their mother Barbara Cowsill.

Richard, Bob's twin brother in back, was their road manager.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 01:21:27 AM by Hello Goodbye »

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2010, 01:28:25 AM »

^^^ Ah!! Thank you, I had no idea. Hair!!

I just read this:

"I saw the Four Freshmen in Liverpool, UK in 1962 ..." . Some dude posting in the youtube comments for one of the videos above.

I couldn't find the dates ... that would be wild if the Beatles happened to have seen them in their "formative" years!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2010, 01:55:40 AM »

Ah!! Thank you, I had no idea. Hair!!

...and The Rain, The Park And Other Things and Indian Lake.

That's how we got...

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2010, 10:55:21 AM »

It's nice hearing their vocals and rich harmonies.  I've always liked sibling harmony.
I once read an article by some professor who said that the closer singers grew up together (geographically), the better their harmonies will sound. And you can't get closer than growing up in the same house, of course. Apparently it has something to do with the way people pronounce words.

There's a good example of how "magical" the original Beach Boys vocal blend sounded. Listen to the acapella 'Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring' on the 'Smiley Smile/Wild Honey' 2fer recorded in 1967 by Brian, Carl, Mike and Al, and then listen to the same song on the 'Live In London' album recorded in 1968 by Bruce, Carl, Mike and Al. Bruce really nails his part effortlessly, you hardly even notice that it's him instead of Brian, but somehow the 1968 version just doesn't "sparkle" like the 1967 version. There's just something missing.

Joost, what's the story behind this alternate mix?
Brian first recorded the basic track and then added some overdubs: a 12-string guitar, a piano, castanets and the "wah-wah-wah" falsetto. A few days later he decided that he didn't like these overdubs and recorded new ones and that became the single version. A good choice, I personally HATE the "wah-wah-wah". It really ruined the song for me, I can't listen to the regular version anymore without hearing those "wah-wah-wah"'s in my head. This alternate mix appeared (without the studio chatter) on a compilation called 'Endless Harmony' in 1998.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 04:41:27 PM by Joost »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2010, 11:26:56 AM »

The Cowsills, from Newport, Rhode Island, were five brothers (Bill, Bob, Barry, John and Paul) and their sister Susan ("and spaghetti!") along with their mother Barbara Cowsill.

John Cowsill currently tours with The Beach Boys. He plays drums and he sings lead on some songs. This is him playing drums and singing lead on 'Darlin'':
John Cowsill (The Beach Boys)

His brother Barry Cowsill was living in New Orleans during Hurricane Cathrina. He was missing after the hurricane, although he left some text messages on his sister's phone and has been identified on photos and footage made after the hurricane. His decomposed body was found four months later.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 10:17:53 AM by Joost »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »

:D

Listen to the chorus of this song (from 1:02 on)... Coincidence, or influence?  ;)
The Beach Boys - Girl Don't Tell Me

(for the record, this song was written after Ticket To Ride was released)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #153 on: February 07, 2010, 08:59:07 PM »

Listen to the chorus of this song (from 1:02 on)... Coincidence, or influence?  ;)
The Beach Boys - Girl Don't Tell Me

(for the record, this song was written after Ticket To Ride was released)

Nice song, but to these novice ears, it's not as Beach Boys-y as others of their songs. It could almost be a Turtles single, c. 1966 or so.

Ticket to Ride ... these guys really did influence each other across the pond (and the continent to boot!)!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #154 on: February 07, 2010, 08:59:48 PM »

Joost - do you have any feelings/comments/observations about the Four Freshmen?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2010, 09:07:58 PM »

Nice song, but to these novice ears, it's not as Beach Boys-y as others of their songs. It could almost be a Turtles single, c. 1966 or so.

Ticket to Ride ... these guys really did influence each other across the pond (and the continent to boot!)!

Apparently Brian originally wanted to give this song to The Beatles. I guess he didn't cause someone told him that they already had a Ticket To Ride.  ;D

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2010, 09:11:32 PM »

Joost - do you have any feelings/comments/observations about the Four Freshmen?

They obviously influenced Brian more than anyone else did. But I personally don't really care for their music, too old-fashioned for my taste.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2010, 08:17:14 PM »

Brian first recorded the basic track and then added some overdubs: a 12-string guitar, a piano, castanets and the "wah-wah-wah" falsetto. A few days later he decided that he didn't like these overdubs and recorded new ones and that became the single version. A good choice, I personally HATE the "wah-wah-wah". It really ruined the song for me, I can't listen to the regular version anymore without hearing those "wah-wah-wah"'s in my head. This alternate mix appeared (without the studio chatter) on a compilation called 'Endless Harmony' in 1998.

Joost, I agree.  Brian Wilson made a good decision getting rid of the "wah-wah-wahs".  But don't let the memory of them ruin Help Me Rhonda for you.  Think of it as Brian Wilson being influenced by Ronny And The Daytonas' Little GTO.  Hey, The Beach Boys performed Little GTO in 1989 with all the "wah-wah-wahs" appropriately included!    ;)

Ronnie & The Daytonas - 'Little GTO'

Endless Summer 1989 (8/16)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2010, 08:28:14 PM »

Joost, I agree.  Brian Wilson made a good decision getting rid of the "wah-wah-wahs".  But don't let the memory of them ruin Help Me Rhonda for you.  Think of it as Brian Wilson being influenced by Ronny And The Daytonas' Little GTO.  Hey, The Beach Boys performed Little GTO in 1989 with all the "wah-wah-wahs" appropriately included!    ;)

'Rhonda' has never been one of my favorites anyway. Unbelievable that of all the great songs they recorded, that was one of their just four US #1 hits.

Talking about influence:
"We weren't as good as those Beach Boys we were imitating, but we had fun anyway."
- John Buck Wilkin, a.k.a. Ronny Dayton.

The Beach Boys still play 'Little GTO' in concert. Mike, Bruce and David even recorded it for a Union 76 promotion CD featuring re-recordings of Beach Boys hits. They kind of "adopted" the song as one of their own.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2010, 04:52:02 AM »

John Cowsill currently tours with The Beach Boys. He plays drums and he sings lead on some songs. This is him playing drums and singing lead on 'Darlin'':
John Cowsill (The Beach Boys)

Thank you for that bit of information, Joost.  The Cowsills turned out to be an influential force in Rock and Roll.  I remember taking my kid sister to an album signing appearance by The Cowsills at a nearby department store in 1968.  My sister is the same age as Susan Cowsill.  The two of them became instant friends, talking to each other for about half an hour.  Several times Barbara Cowsill had to remind her daughter to sign records.  I got a big kick out of that!  She still has that album.

It's tragic what happened to Barry Cowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 42

Page created in 0.604 seconds with 82 queries.