Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 151792 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2010, 12:06:50 AM »

So did Pet Sounds go platinum in 2000 "finally" or did a new release of a CD or something push it to that?  If it is the former, then, wow.

Either way, it took a long time.  It's a shame that Dennis and Carl never saw that day.

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2010, 12:21:52 AM »

Surfin' Safari  Take 5

Beach Boys - Surfin Safari - Session - 1961

:)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2010, 03:44:24 AM »

In pretty much every interview I've read from people who recorded with Brian (from the session musicians he used in the 60s to the members of his current band), they mention how the chords they were given often didn't seem to make any sense at all on paper, but that when they played them it seemed like they were the most logical chords possible.

I can easily believe this. My low-middle level of musical ability is such that if a song sounds out of key a bit, and I can't get it in one or two tries, it's probably got a few chords that are not typical of rock/pop music. Just about every Beach Boys song seems to have some kind of twist, a modulation to a different key or two. I would bet that's what Paul liked about them the best, or at least what caught his ear initially the most ( 2ch , I seemed to have turned into Paul's mind reader!).

For example - California Girls - putting aside the immediate unusual change in the verse from the 1st chord to the 2nd ... :

well EAST coast girls are hip, I really
DIG the clothes they wear ...

... the intro just before the 1st verse has, like, HOW many chords out of key from the verse?

WOW!

BTW - I read on Wiki that this song was written in the middle of Brian's first acid trip in 1965, then he and Mike Love finished it the next AM.

By the way - are there any photos of Mike Love when he WASN'T balding? Like when he was ten? That orange picture of them all with a surfboard in one of the youtubes above, where they looked like they were barely 13, he STILL looks balding!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2010, 04:50:07 AM »

I've noticed that too about their chords changes. Many times they seem very simple I-V-IV chord progressions like in "Catch a Wave" during the verses but how the introdcution goes    Key of D Major
                                           V       III                     IV          V             I
                                         Catch a wave and you're sittin' on top of the world

How that F chord comes right after the A is so subtle that it seems that it still is A (if you just keep A it fits, but if you do the F chord you can notice the subtle, smooth melody change).

"Fun, Fun, Fun" is very similar with it's deployment of F right before the instrumental break.  "Little Deuce Coupe" is similar, etc.

Brian has countless examples of this.  Picking out Beach Boy songs as compared to Beatles songs is tricky. Whereas the Beatles had weird chords at times and sometimes controversial i.e. "Hard Day's Night"'s opening ching. The Beach Boys usually had some tricky chords as Alexis points out.  I think he's amazing and very unappreciated.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2010, 05:01:25 AM »

I've noticed that too about their chords changes. Many times they seem very simple I-V-IV chord progressions like in "Catch a Wave" during the verses but how the introdcution goes    Key of D Major
                                           V       III                     IV          V             I
                                         Catch a wave and you're sittin' on top of the world

How that F chord comes right after the A is so subtle that it seems that it still is A (if you just keep A it fits, but if you do the F chord you can notice the subtle, smooth melody change).

"Fun, Fun, Fun" is very similar with it's deployment of F right before the instrumental break.  "Little Deuce Coupe" is similar, etc.

Brian has countless examples of this.  Picking out Beach Boy songs as compared to Beatles songs is tricky. Whereas the Beatles had weird chords at times and sometimes controversial i.e. "Hard Day's Night"'s opening ching. The Beach Boys usually had some tricky chords as Alexis points out.  I think he's amazing and very unappreciated.

Who me? Why thank you, that is awfully nice of you to notice, and to say!!

Oh ...  :-[  ;sorry ha2ha ha2ha

But thanks anyway for the examples. Fun!

You wouldn't by any chance have the chords to the intro of "California Girls" handy, would you? It would save me a bit of time that's a bit short nowadays ...  :D

Thanks!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2010, 05:06:42 AM »

Try this, Alexis:  B, B, A, A, Em/B, Em/A

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2010, 09:42:17 AM »

By the way - are there any photos of Mike Love when he WASN'T balding? Like when he was ten? That orange picture of them all with a surfboard in one of the youtubes above, where they looked like they were barely 13, he STILL looks balding!

David and Carl were 14 and 15 on those photos, but Mike was 21 (and already a father of two).

Mike Love in high school:

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2010, 04:18:49 PM »

David and Carl were 14 and 15 on those photos, but Mike was 21 (and already a father of two).

Mike Love in high school:

Joost - you wrote David ... I didn't know there was a David ... did you mean Brian? That didn't look exactly like Al Jardine in front center, was there a David before Al?

Also - how did a 21 year old get to be hanging with these little kids? And (salacious interest here only) - was he married to the mom of his 2 kids?

Thanks!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2010, 04:32:54 PM »

He was their cousin.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2010, 05:07:43 PM »

Who me? Why thank you, that is awfully nice of you to notice, and to say!!

Oh ...  :-[  ;sorry ha2ha ha2ha

But thanks anyway for the examples. Fun!

You wouldn't by any chance have the chords to the intro of "California Girls" handy, would you? It would save me a bit of time that's a bit short nowadays ...  :D

Thanks!

I've always played it as:

B   A   E  F#   B for the verses

B   C#m7   A   Bm7  G  Am7

etc

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2010, 05:40:55 PM »

Joost - you wrote David ... I didn't know there was a David ... did you mean Brian? That didn't look exactly like Al Jardine in front center, was there a David before Al?

The original line up of the Beach Boys was Brian, Dennis, Carl, Mike and Al. Al quit after the first single (Surfin b/w Luau), cause he wanted to become a dentist. He was replaced by David Marks, a 14 year old neighbor who was friends with Carl (sidenote: Carl and David both got their guitar lessons from another neighbor, John "Walker" Maus, who later became a core member of The Walker Brothers). Al came back after a year so the band was a six-piece for a few weeks and then David quit after a fallout with Murry (the Wilson's dad, then the band's manager). David was in the band for just a little over a year but they worked so fast at the time that he was on their first four albums (Surfin' Safari, Surfin' USA, Surfer Girl and Little Deuce Coupe). After he'd quit David spend pretty much the rest of his life trying to get back into the spotlights and battling drug addictions. He briefly rejoined The Beach Boys from 1997 until 1999 as Carl's replacement. The last few years he's been doing well. There's a book about his life called 'The Lost Beach Boy' (by Jon Stebbins, who also write Dennis's biography 'The Real Beach Boy'). Even if you're not a huge Beach Boys fan it's really a fascinating story.

Also - how did a 21 year old get to be hanging with these little kids? And (salacious interest here only) - was he married to the mom of his 2 kids?

Mike is just one year older than Brian and Al. Brian, Carl and Dennis are his cousins. So it's not that weird.

Mike accidentally got his girlfriend knocked up and was forced by his parents to marry her. Their marriage lasted for just two years. Mike is currently with his 5th wife and has (at least) 9 children. His daughter Shawn became Dennis's fifth wife (making Mike his cousin's father-in-law). His son Christian is a member of the current incarnation of The Beach Boys - his voice sounds amazingly similar to Carl's. He also has a son named Brian.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:58:10 AM by Joost »

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2010, 05:20:48 AM »

Joost, for the Beach Boy reunion concert, what do you think the lineup will be?  I'm guessing Brian on keyboard now since he seems more comfortable behind it although I'd rather see him playin his Fender lol.  Bruce on bass, Mike as usual, Al and David on guitar?  And some fill in for drums.  I hope it's an amazing come back though. I'd hate to see it become a cabaret performance where the audience particiaptes more than the band. I cringe when I hear renditions of "Help Me Rhonda" with more audience singing than the band.  I dig hearing the Andy Williams show version of the song where it's all of them.  Just a bone I have to pick when older bands play. 

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2010, 08:00:29 AM »

It's uncertain if there will ever be a reunion concert. Mike definately wants to do it. Bruce has tourned with Mike non-stop since 1979 and Dave still sees Mike as one of his best friends, so no doubt they'll be there too. But if Mike wants Brian and Al to be there, he'll have to do some serious ass kissing. Brian has said on a few occasions that he'll never go on stage with Mike again, but that doesn't say much cause he's known to change his mind all the time. I think Brian's in if Mike manages to get Brian's wife Melinda on his side. Melinda also acts as Brian's manager and minder (whenever someone asks Brian why he made a certain decision the answer's usually "Because my wife thought it was a good idea") and she's quite hesitant to let Brian get envolved with Mike again cause Brian has a very fragile personality while Mike can be very dominant. She just thinks Brian's better off as a solo artist. And Al, I'm sure he'd love to do a reunion concert but since Mike kicked him out of the band twelve years ago, he'll probably play hard to get.

If they'd do a reunion concert they would definately have to use a backing band. But which one? The old backing musicians (some of whom have toured with the band for up to 30 years)? Mike's band (the band that currently tours as "The Beach Boys")? Or Brian's band (the band that Paul McCartney once called "the best live band in the business")? That might be the biggest problem of all, to pick a backing band without stepping on too many egos.

If you'd ask me, this should be the line-up:

Vocals: Brian, Mike, Al, Dave, Bruce, Jeff Foskett (toured with The Beach Boys for 20 years and with Brian's current band for 10 years, often doubles Brian's vocals on stage and does the high notes that he can't reach anymore), Christian Love (Mike's son, currently tours with his dad and sounds an awful lot like Carl) and maybe Adam and/or Matt Jardine (Al's sons, toured with The Beach Boys when their dad was still in the group).

Guitars: Al, Dave and Jeff Foskett.

Bass: Ed Carter ('Steady Eddy", toured with The Beach Boys from the late 60s until the late 90s).

Drums: Dennis's son Carl B. Wilson plays drums (he's in a band with Carl's son Justyn), but I'm not familiar with their music so I don't know how good he is. If he can't do it, they should probably use Mike D'Amico (drummer of Brian's band) or John Cowsill (original member of The Cowsills, currently the drummer of Mike's Beach Boys and also a great singer)

Keyboards: since Brian's and Bruce's keyboards usually aren't plugged in on stage, they should get Darian Sahanaja (member and musical director of Brian's current band) and Scott Bennett (also from Brian's band, he can play pretty much every instrument).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 01:55:29 PM by Joost »

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2010, 08:05:11 AM »

Brian and Al at the recording of the new version of 'We Are The World':

Al with Kanye West...  :)

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2010, 09:17:58 PM »

Brian and Al at the recording of the new version of 'We Are The World':

Al with Kanye West...  :)

From when? I haven't read about this. Could you explain it?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2010, 09:25:59 PM »

2 Or 3 days ago I believe. For Haiti.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2010, 11:21:28 AM »

We Are the World: 25 for Haiti

Prior to the earthquake, Quincy Jones and Lionel Richie had planned to organize a re-recording of "We Are the World" on January 28, 2010 — the 25th anniversary of the original recording of the song. However, due to the devastation caused in Haiti, these plans were postponed.[87] The new version of the song was recorded on February 1, 2010. Over 75 musicians were involved in the recording, which was held in the same place as the original. Also similar to the 1985 process, some of the participating musicians were already in Los Angeles to attend an awards ceremony: the 52nd Grammy Awards.[88] The new version will feature updated lyrics and music, as well as a rap segment pertaining to Haiti.[88][89] According to Quincy Jones, Michael Jackson's younger sister Janet will take her late brother's part in the song.[90] The production team for the song include RedOne and musical director Ricky Minor. Haitian-American musician Wyclef Jean will also serve as a producer.[88]

At the time of the recording, numerous artists commented on the process, the 1985 version of the song and co-writer Michael Jackson. R&B singer Jordin Sparks revealed that despite being born after the release of the original, the song had a "huge impact" on her.[90] Canadian songstress Celine Dion express that the release of the song would not only benefit the Haitian people, but also serve as a remembrance of "the passion [Michael] Jackson had for helping those in need".[90] Lionel Richie and Quincy Jones echoed Dion's sentiments and further stated that if the singer were alive, he would have wanted to be just as involved as he had been a quarter of a century ago.[90]

Artists involved
The following artists involved were made public by the 2010 "We Are the World" organizers:[88][90]

Akon
Lady Gaga
India.Arie
Patti Austin
Tony Bennett
Justin Bieber
Bone Thugs-n-Harmony
Ethan Bortnick
Brandy
Jeff Bridges
Toni Braxton
Zac Brown
Kristian Bush
Natalie Cole
Harry Connick Jr.
Kid Cudi
Miley Cyrus
Celine Dion
Snoop Dogg
Drake
Earth Wind & Fire
Faith Evans
Melanie Fiona
Jamie Foxx
Sean Garrett
Tyrese Gibson
Josh Groban
Anthony Hamilton
Keri Hilson
Julianne Hough
Jennifer Hudson
Enrique Iglesias
LL Cool J
Janet Jackson
Randy Jackson
Taj Jackson
Taryll Jackson
TJ Jackson
Al Jardine
Joe Jonas
Kevin Jonas
Jonas
Rashida Jones
Gladys Knight
Adam Levine
Jimmy Jean-Louis
Benji Madden
Joel Madden
Mary Mary
Katharine McPhee
Jason Mraz
Mýa
Jennifer Nettles
Orianthi
Freda Payne
P!nk
A. R. Rahman
Nicole Richie
Raphael Saadiq
Carlos Santana
Nicole Scherzinger
Isaac Slade
Trey Songz
Musiq Soulchild
Jordin Sparks
Barbra Streisand
T-Pain
Robin Thicke
Rob Thomas
Usher
Vince Vaughn
Lil Wayne
Kanye West
Will.i.am
Ann Wilson
Brian Wilson
Nancy Wilson
BeBe Winans
Britney Spears

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2010, 11:16:15 PM »

Coincident to this discussion, WCBS-FM has been playing about four Beach Boys songs an hour the past several days.  It's nice hearing their vocals and rich harmonies.  I've always liked sibling harmony.

Help Me Rhonda alternate single version - The Beach Boys

Joost, what's the story behind this alternate mix?

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2010, 12:11:15 AM »

Coincident to this discussion, WCBS-FM has been playing about four Beach Boys songs an hour the past several days.  It's nice hearing their vocals and rich harmonies.  I've always liked sibling harmony.

Help Me Rhonda alternate single version - The Beach Boys

Joost, what's the story behind this alternate mix?

Me too. Everly Brothers. Andrews Sisters (seriously). Lennon and McCartney - may as well have been sibs!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 12:16:54 AM by alexis »
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: February 07, 2010, 12:18:56 AM »

On par as being as good as the Beatles. Long live Brian Wilson!

Surf's up boys

Right!  Recorded or live, they sound great...

The Beach Boys-Wendy

Beach Boys Wendy
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 42

Page created in 0.684 seconds with 81 queries.