Beatles forums > Albums

The White Album

(1/16) > >>

nimrod:
So anyway.............

This is not purely a 'should it have been a single album' thread as I know its been discussed before but Ive recently read a couple of comments putting a Paul solo album above sides 3 & 4 of this Beatles masterpiece  ;)

Can we have a general discussion about the merits of this and whether The White Album was a poor effort (with emphasis on those 2 sides) ?

Personally Ive often felt like it SHOULD have been a solo album but there are probably 2 or 3 tracks more than a solo so thats a problem. I think 99% of us agree that Rev # 9 was a bit substandard and maybe too avante garde for your average Beatle fan, but there are tracks on the latter disc that I love (Cry Baby Cry for one)..

What are your thoughts ?

Toejam:
Well ideally it should have been a single album but then it's much more preferable to be the ridiculous mess that it is. The Beatles could afford to get away with putting an album out with so much scrappy ditty songs on like Julia, WDWDIITR or RR etc. etc.The classy stuff is a bit outweighed by the unclassy stuff. I don't see why side 3 is so bad. It's a lot more consistent than side 2!

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:
I find many great songs on sides 3 and 4. I love "Birthday", "Yer Blues", "Mother's Nature's Son", "Everybody's Got Something To Hide", "Helter Skelter", "Long, Long, Long", "Savoy Truffle" and "Cry Baby Cry". Maybe side 4 is the weakest side of the album (and not just because of "Revolution 9"), and though I think that the first disc is better, I still enjoy the second disc pretty much.

nimrod:

--- Quote from: Hombre_de_ningun_lugar on September 21, 2011, 11:25:11 PM ---I find many great songs on sides 3 and 4. I love "Birthday", "Yer Blues", "Mother's Nature's Son", "Everybody's Got Something To Hide", "Helter Skelter", "Long, Long, Long", "Savoy Truffle" and "Cry Baby Cry". Maybe side 4 is the weakest side of the album (and not just because of "Revolution 9"), and though I think that the first disc is better, I still enjoy the second disc pretty much.

--- End quote ---

Yes they are great songs Hombre (except LLL)  ;D

Hell.. I even love Goodnight

but tracks I could do without;

Rev#9
Rocky Raccoon
EBGSTHEFMAMMonkey
Long Long Long
WDWDIITR

and the worst Dont Pass Me By

trouble is thats still too many for a single album  roll:)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar:

--- Quote from: nimrod on September 22, 2011, 01:05:21 AM ---Yes they are great songs Hombre (except LLL)  ;D

Hell.. I even love Goodnight

but tracks I could do without;

Rev#9
Rocky Raccoon
EBGSTHEFMAMMonkey
Long Long Long
WDWDIITR

and the worst Dont Pass Me By

trouble is thats still too many for a single album  roll:)

--- End quote ---

"Long, Long, Long" has really grown on me with time.

The White Album may be the Beatles' record with more fillers, but well, it's a double album, so that makes sense. Anyway, I think that the number of great songs is bigger than the number of weak ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version