Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ..."WoW" on Gimme Some Truth  (Read 2205 times)

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
..."WoW" on Gimme Some Truth
« on: July 31, 2004, 01:34:07 AM »

I am taken away by that song.  I take it Lennon had some bad experiences from politicians, eh?

This is my first time hearing it, and holy crap... I don't know what to say about this song! I really like it, yet it's so BLUNT! Pig-bellied yellow... I don't even remember 90% of the gibes, but Lennon used about every insult known to man and smeared it into this song.

Amazing.  I'm flabbergasted  :P.  What a powerful and p*ssed off song  :)

Runforyourlife

Re: ..."WoW" on Gimme Some Truth
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 02:03:11 AM »

I love it! I also think that a song like Bring on the Lucie off of Mind Games is so relavant these days. If you hear that song and think about now, I think I'll take your "wow" and apply it even more fervently here.

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 02:36:03 AM »

It's a brilliant and underrated song

---powered by Moondogs®---

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 05:34:44 AM »

It was a perfect expression of the times.  The oppressive reign of the Nixonian era, coupled with the end of the idealistic 60's and the growth of cynical young adulthood.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 11:55:48 AM »

Frighty, not to start up that PLASTIC ONO BAND stuff again, but I'm kind of surprised you appreciate the direct anger approach of 'Gimmee Some Truth', but don't feel the same intensity from the POB album?

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 03:39:05 PM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1091237647,s=4 date=1091274948]Frighty, not to start up that PLASTIC ONO BAND stuff again, but I'm kind of surprised you appreciate the direct anger approach of 'Gimmee Some Truth', but don't feel the same intensity from the POB album?[/quote]

I know, I was surprised to  :P

I think it's just the rhythm of the song and how horribly BLUNT he is toward politicians that really made me go "...woah!"

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 03:17:41 AM »

If you like the bluntness of Gimme Some Truth, check out I DOn't Want to be a Soldier Mamma (I dont wanna die).  Then check out POB.  Very intense and direct.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 05:18:15 AM »

[quote by=Herecomesyoursun link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1091237647,s=6 date=1091330261]If you like the bluntness of Gimme Some Truth, check out I DOn't Want to be a Soldier Mamma (I dont wanna die).  Then check out POB.  Very intense and direct.[/quote]

Um.....I think he's already heard POB.....
 ;)

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 05:23:00 AM »

[quote by=Herecomesyoursun link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1091237647,s=6 date=1091330261]If you like the bluntness of Gimme Some Truth, check out I DOn't Want to be a Soldier Mamma (I dont wanna die).

LarryG

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2004, 01:02:37 AM »

Gimme Some Truth -- like many songs from the Imagine and Plastic Ono Band albums reflect John's unusual marriage of hope and anger.  So with this particular song, showing shades of Yer Blues, John captured the anger angle with a timely nod to the current events of the day:

"No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky is gonna mother-hubbard soft-saop me with just a pocketful of hope; it's money for dope, it's money for rope."

Though the years are different (2004 vs. 1971), there are those during this particular political season who would apply those words again today.  Imagine what would be on John Lennon's mind today under these circumstances.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 01:23:21 AM »

Underrated. One of my favourite from Imagine.
This is not All You Need Is Love, uh?  8)

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 60 queries.