Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Congrats California on legalising gay marriage!  (Read 19160 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: Congrats California on legalising gay marriage!
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2008, 05:43:07 PM »

Quote from: 56

And even if Jesus didn't like gays, I'm pretty sure he never marched around with a "f**s will burn in hell" sign or anything like that. So why there are christians who do things like that is truely beyond me.

I'm pretty sure Allah doesn't teach his disciples to use car bombs and kill innocent people in his name either. There are lunatics in EVERY religion. And if there wasn't religion, there would STILL be lunatics that would hate other. They would just have to blame it on something else. And I think they would find something easily enough.

I tend to agree with this:

All ... religions show the same disparity between belief and practice, and each is safe till it tries to exclude the rest. Test each sect by its best or its worst as you will, by its high-water mark of virtue or its low-water mark of vice. But falsehood begins when you measure the ebb of any other religion against the flood-tide of your own. There is a noble and a base side to every history.-Thomas Wentworth Higginson

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2008, 06:49:07 PM »

It`s interesting to hear Americans critisizing their democracy and especially human rights issues. I was sure that as far as human rights are concerned you were content with the state of affairs in your country. Are you?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2008, 07:16:31 PM »

Quote from: 1393
It`s interesting to hear Americans critisizing their democracy and especially human rights issues. I was sure that as far as human rights are concerned you were content with the state of affairs in your country. Are you?

I'm not an American so I can't speak for them, but I think that criticizing your own country and questioning every decision your government makes is the patriotic thing to do. If you truely care about your country, you're not going to let some guy who happens to be president for four years do to it whatever he wants. Your government is not your country. You don't have to be loyal to the politicians in charge to be loyal to your country.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2008, 08:03:16 PM »

I think this is an idealistic point of view. If things depended on people ,on the public the world would be different. In fact, not a lot depends on whether you let those in power do what they want or not. They will pursue their policy without asking your permission. People were against the war but the troops invaded Iraq, you see. Though on some issues, such as human rights, i thought America was ahead of other countries.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2008, 08:32:53 PM »

I was reading the Gospel According To Matthew this afternoon and i just can't see from what Jesus said that homosexuality was an issue .
Adultery yes he is clear about that been wrong . He speaks about that during "The Sermon On The Mount "
 But he does'nt mention anything about homosexuals during his most famous speech to us .
So i don't understand why this issue is such a hot topic ?

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2008, 12:09:31 AM »

Quote from: 216
Hey, why do we have to have marriage in the fist place. It's an archaic ritual. Yes, there's legal stuff to be considered, but everyone has a right to that. Anyway, it's an outdated social convention. You can LOVE a person and be COMMITTED to a person without having a piece of paper to prove it. Again, financial things are different and of course should be taken care of anyway. There are ways to do this.

And to have government approval is great and all, but really, if your family and friends acknowledge your life style and who you choose to love, then that's what's most important. My government could kiss my ass otherwise. They're wrong about so much anyway that I don't put a whole lot of stock in what they choose to accept and not to accept. People have the freedom to live as they choose anyway. Legalities are never going to be perfect. We are moving forward though and that's what's important.

But yes, I understand that it's a right people want. Must be married. Must be like everyone else.

I know I'm not expressing this correctly, but oh well.

remember, a government that gets to involved inevidably farks things up for the rest of us and makes it worse than it was. example: public education (at least in MA)
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2008, 12:13:07 AM »

as for jesus and whatnot, even though i'm buddhist now, i was catholic not long ago so i still know my religious crap. If anyone ever tells you that Jesus said it was wrong for whoever to be with whoever, counter with, "jesus said to love thy neighbor, why won't you love me" and then proceed to walk into a gay, muslim bar :P
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2008, 02:16:42 AM »

Yes, i'm homophobic. My opinion on the matter is that its just not natural for two men or two women to be together. The bible states it also and thats enough for me.

I knew somebody once that actually came out and told me they were gay in my own home. He was asked to leave and to never come back, never call, and to never have contact with my children again and he hasent. I dont want my children around that especially in my home. Its bad enough that society pressures everybody into accepting it (along with it being ok to not believe in God), when in truth, they should be pushing for people to get to church. The lack of religion is why the worlds tunring to crap in my opinion.

Ok, feel free to have fun with this now.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2008, 07:01:32 AM »

Quote from: 373
Yes, i'm homophobic. My opinion on the matter is that its just not natural for two men or two women to be together. The bible states it also and thats enough for me.

Homosexual people are born homosexual. There's no artificial process that makes them that way. So homosexuality is not unnatural. And even if it would be unnatural: so frickin what? Everything we do now that we didn't do 1000 years ago is unnatural. There's nothing natural about driving a car. There's nothing natural about staring at a computer screen every day from 9 to 5. There's nothing natural about wearing a suit and tie.

I knew somebody once that actually came out and told me they were gay in my own home. He was asked to leave and to never come back, never call, and to never have contact with my children again and he hasent.

Wow, I think that's just shocking... I really do. Homophobia is a form of discrimination and this is, in my book, a very serious case of discrimination. That's an extremely offensive, insulting thing to do to another human being.

I dont want my children around that especially in my home.

You know homosexuality isn't contagious, right? Of course you're free to raise your children the way you think is right, but what good is sticking your head in the sand ever going to do?

(along with it being ok to not believe in God)

So if people don't believe in God, they should be forced to?

The lack of religion is why the worlds tunring to crap in my opinion.

The towers didn't fall because of a lack of religion. Quite the contrary actually. And I don't think you can say that things were that much better in the Middle Ages, when the church was in charge.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2008, 07:49:51 AM »

Quote from: 56
Homosexual people are born homosexual. There's no artificial process that makes them that way. So homosexuality is not unnatural. And even if it would be unnatural: so frickin what? Everything we do now that we didn't do 1000 years ago is unnatural. There's nothing natural about driving a car. There's nothing natural about staring at a computer screen every day from 9 to 5. There's nothing natural about wearing a suit and tie.

You'll need to take your beliefs up with God.

Leviticus 18:22 - Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Pretty much states its unnatural right there.

Wow, I think that's just shocking... I really do. Homophobia is a form of discrimination and this is, in my book, a very serious case of discrimination. That's an extremely offensive, insulting thing to do to another human being.

Well, if discrimination is trying to protect my children from a certain behavior that is not normal, so be it.

You know homosexuality isn't contagious, right? Of course you're free to raise your children the way you think is right, but what good is sticking your head in the sand ever going to do?

Nothings contagious if you stay far enough away from it.

So if people don't believe in God, they should be forced to?

Force is a strong word. People that dont believe will be judged soon enough.

The towers didn't fall because of a lack of religion. Quite the contrary actually.

More political than anything in my opinion. I'm no Muslim expert, but unless somebody can scan where the Quran (sp?) stated that Americans were evil,,,i'm not buying it. Thats the same as saying Hitler was on a religious conquest during the war.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2008, 08:29:29 AM »

Just because I don't share your religious beliefs doesn't mean I don't believe in God.

Leviticus 18:22 - Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

So far, nobody has been able to prove to me that the Bible (or the Qur'an, or the Torah, or the Bhagavad Gita) was written by God and not by human beings.

Force is a strong word. People that dont believe will be judged soon enough.

You believe that we will be judged by our beliefs. I believe we will be judged by our actions and by how we treat other people.

I'm no Muslim expert, but unless somebody can scan where the Quran (sp?) stated that Americans were evil,,,i'm not buying it.

Of course 9-11 was a religious and not a political thing. These were suicide attacts. The terrorists gave their lives because they were convinced that they were going to be rewarded in the afterlife.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2008, 08:48:16 AM »

Joost, I like a decent debate as much as the other person, but I need to concentrate on other things right now. With a topic like this, you have to expect somebody is going to look at it from another perspective. I just dont believe in it and never will. It's ok for us to disagree on this one. No matter what we type or feel, the other will not change their mind. I have to say peace and thanks for your point of view.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2008, 08:58:57 AM »

Pretty much states its unnatural right there.

Leviticus is the Old Testament. The old covenant. Jesus' teachings are what Christians base their religion on. The New Testament. You are supposed to follow His word. No? There are many things in the Old Testament that Jesus directly contradicts or outright abolishes. For example:

Old Testament: Leviticus 24:19-20: If anyone injures his neighbor, whatever he has done must be done to him: fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. As he has injured the other, so he is to be injured.

Jesus, on the other hand, stated:

New Testament: Matthew 5:38

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2008, 08:59:48 AM »

Joost, I like a decent debate as much as the other person, but I need to concentrate on other things right now. With a topic like this, you have to expect somebody is going to look at it from another perspective. I just dont believe in it and never will. It's ok for us to disagree on this one. No matter what we type or feel, the other will not change their mind. I have to say peace and thanks for your point of view.

OK, that's cool.

Believe whatever you want, all I can do is ask you that if you can't approve of homosexuality, please at least try to tolerate it. Discrimination never leads to anything positive.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2008, 09:59:24 AM »

Lets end this with a little bit of humor.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2008, 10:38:01 AM »

;D

Good one...  8)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2008, 11:06:44 AM »

I always read Leviticus to be the priestly code and not really applicable to us underlings .
Most European christians don't for example go in for male circumcision and the eating of pork and rabbit is wide spread .
I don't know anybody that follows whats written in Leviticus to the letter .
I can see that incest is wrong .
But the rest of it seems arcane to me , i just don't follow the rituals and i doubt many people who call themselves christians do .
My family is christian (Methodist) and only one of us is circumcised for medical reasons , so does that mean that the three of us that are intact won't be going to heaven ? as we have not followed that law contained in Leviticus .
I come back to The Ten Commandments which does not mention homosexulality and Jesus not mentioning it .
Much of what is written in the Bible is the word of man and not the word of god .
For me Jesus is the main man and if he does'nt make a judgement on it ,  neither will i , i will carry on loving my gay friends and all the people i care about .
I just refuse to twist my faith into hate .

BlueMeanie

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2008, 11:16:20 AM »

Quote from: 971
I just refuse to twist my faith into hate.

I'm not religious at all, but if there were more people like you in the world Dave, it would be a much safer and happier place.

As long as Coldplay are banned!

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2008, 11:40:40 AM »

Quote from: 483

I'm not religious at all, but if there were more people like you in the world Dave, it would be a much safer and happier place.

As long as Coldplay are banned!

Well on that note i'm off to snog my picture of Brian Epstein and The Beatles :

All You Need Is love , Love Is all You Need

(inlove3)(inlove3)(inlove3)(inlove3)(inlove3)(inlove3)(inlove3)

legthi

• Getting Better
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »

I knew somebody once that actually came out and told me they were gay in my own home. He was asked to leave and to never come back, never call, and to never have contact with my children again and he hasent. I dont want my children around that especially in my home. Its bad enough that society pressures everybody into accepting it (along with it being ok to not believe in God), when in truth, they should be pushing for people to get to church. The lack of religion is why the worlds tunring to crap in my opinion.

Ok, feel free to have fun with this now.

You are everything that is wrong with this world. You really have no idea how old-fashioned, ignorant and offensive what you just said is do you? Please, don't say anymore.

On another note, I agree with bluemeanie that coldplay should be banned !!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 79 queries.