Author Topic: Phones  (Read 5019 times)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
Phones
« on: May 12, 2013, 09:37:20 PM »

So I am having a small dilema .... And I would like your input

I have a smartphone (Sony Xperia U) BUT I also have a spare iPhone (3GS) at home.

Touchscreen is not something that comes naturally to me but I do know that its the future and soon everything will be touchscreen, so I might as well start getting used to it.

So, which phone will people recommend? An iPhone or Android? (I am very simple when it comes to phones - all I need it to be pretty and be able to send a message and call - checking my email is ok, but not a must)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Phones
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 04:20:27 AM »

KE, last December I made the "quantum leap" from a cellphone to a smartphone, the Nokia Lumia 920.  I had to because it was necessary to link to my computer in my office to access patient files, write notes in hospital charts, send prescriptions, receive pages while on call, etc.

The nokia Lumia is a Windowsphone which is compatible with the electronic record system used at my hospitals.  I like how it syncs with my office computer.  I was able to get used to the touchscreen very quickly.  But I understand how you feel.  I wish I could go on using my cellphone for just telephone call the way I did in the past.  Things are changing rapidly and i think you'll enjoy being able to use GPS, email, text and browse the internet, and take pictures with your smartphone.  Your SONY smartphone is highly-rated and you should be having fun with it.
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:24:24 AM »

I prefer Android to iphone, Im not keen on Apple products as you seem to have to go through itunes to move things around

apple products are good though its just I prefer to work with android

I have a Samsung Galaxy and a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 2, more than happy with them.

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 02:25:22 PM »

My experience is that Windows and Apple-products are not going together very well. I bought an iPod some years ago and found out that I could only upload songs via iTunes. And iTunes is a very complex program in my opinion. I found it very difficult to get the songs I wanted on the iPod in the way I wanted it. I am working with a Android phone (HTC Sense), a simple thing but it works well and goes well with Windows.

nimrod

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 10:56:55 PM »

My experience is that Windows and Apple-products are not going together very well. I bought an iPod some years ago and found out that I could only upload songs via iTunes. And iTunes is a very complex program in my opinion. I found it very difficult to get the songs I wanted on the iPod in the way I wanted it. I am working with a Android phone (HTC Sense), a simple thing but it works well and goes well with Windows.

I agree with you Cor, I put movies straight onto my android very easily, just grag & drop , it works just like an external hard drive, but when Ive tried to do it on my wifes Apple's I end up frustrated due to itunes, Im just not 'Apple minded' I guess.

Also a big drawback to iphone/ipads for me is the fact that they have no SD slot so A) they are not expandable memorywise and B) its harder to load stuff into the memory

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 12:15:26 AM »

i like my droid 3....and bought a new one after my ass broke my first one....hope everyone is good...i am getting better all the time...love yas...get yer ya yas out...

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 04:14:16 AM »

Thanks guys...! Smartphone it is :)

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 03:24:15 AM »

A little after the fact but my son has had an iPhone for about a year. He recently got an Android as his work phone and says he likes the iPhone better. Of course he's just getting used to the new one so that may change.  I love my iPhone. I use it a lot for recipes, menu planning, shopping lists and music. It's great to be able to listen to Pandora anywhere in the house. Sometimes I even talk on it. ;) My daughter learned to find her way all around the big city where she goes to school by using it as her GPS. (Good thing since she somehow lost her Garmin!)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 02:04:51 AM »

Sometimes I even talk on it. ;)
Ahahahaha!!!!
My daughter learned to find her way all around the big city where she goes to school by using it as her GPS. (Good thing since she somehow lost her Garmin!)
Shameful to admit, but I tend to get lost with a GPS...... yes well *ahem*

I miss my old phone though.... cant get used to touch screen... I'm going to try and  revive it!

KelMar

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 06:01:22 AM »

Ahahahaha!!!!Shameful to admit, but I tend to get lost with a GPS...... yes well *ahem*

There's no shame in that! I am so directionally challenged that I can't even succeed at using my phone's GPS to be the navigator. We have other talents though, right? ;)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 11:11:05 PM »

On the same note.... Does anyone have an ipad and would they recommend it?

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 03:11:42 AM »

I recently got a Galaxy S4 and I love it.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 10:18:05 PM »

Hmmm.... currently I am in the stage of wanting an ipad. But since I have an Android phone it will make more sense to get Tablet... Any advise? I still have an iphone at home to revert back to

nimrod

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 11:11:20 PM »

Hmmm.... currently I am in the stage of wanting an ipad. But since I have an Android phone it will make more sense to get Tablet... Any advise? I still have an iphone at home to revert back to

I have a Samsung Tab2, it basically does everything an ipad does but its cheaper, has an sd slot (so its expandable) and you dont have to spend your life trying to figure out itunes when you want to load movies or anything onto it, you just put the sd card into your pc and load stuff on, movies, books, pics, music etc dead simple its all done in a flash, I got the white 10" version, you can also get the 7" version..
Apple products are good but imo they are expensive and not very user friendly, go android :D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 02:06:34 AM »

I'm waiting for the medical tricorder...

He's dead, Jim.
I can stay till it's time to go

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 10:44:30 AM »

I'm back to my phone dilemma. My Sony is on its last legs and I need a new phone.... My requirements for a phone is its need to be able to fit in my pocket, be square, have some flashy lighty effect and be cheap.... Suggestions?

nimrod

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 12:16:21 PM »

My wife has the LG L7 which she really likes, it seems a really good phone to me also, does everything and cheap (decent camera)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 12:30:05 AM »

So I ended up buying a Huawei.... I got it up and running and I want my old Sony!!!!!! Conclusion: only buy a phone when your current one dies

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 03:39:12 PM »

So I ended up buying a Huawei.... I got it up and running and I want my old Sony!!!!!! Conclusion: only buy a phone when your current one dies

I've been tempted to turn in my Droid and get a flip phone again......When I got it, the guy at the shop was like, "They're very frustrating at first, but in a few days you'll love it!" That was 18 months ago. Still detest it.

Congrats on your new phone, KE! Hope you like it.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 05:34:00 AM »

No, Normandie, I ditched it and I'm back to my old phone :p

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 78 queries.