Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Does Paul Still Matter?  (Read 6583 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Does Paul Still Matter?
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2007, 10:14:31 AM »

First off, no I dont buy Puff Daddy or 50 Cent records because I dont like that style of music. I'm not going to sit here and say they are lame or they suck just because I dont like them. Hell, they are well known around the world so i'm betting they do their rap hip/hop stuff well.

As for your friends listening to The Kaiser Chiefs/Snow Patrol/The Killers/Scissor Sisters and so forth,,,,I find that odd seeing as how your profile states your 48 years old (I dont know that for sure). Arent these bands what teenagers and younger adults listen to? I dont know because i've never heard of them (well I do have a Killers CD that was given to me by my nephew and I didnt care for it to much). Anyways, i'm 37 and none of my friends listen to that kind of music that i'm aware of.

As a Beatle fan, i'm not pushing for my friends to buy McCartneys new one either (or his older stuff for that reason). Most of my friends wouldnt buy it because they know i'm going to own it and they'll listen to it with me. If they like it well enough, they'll go buy it. Simple as that, but to be honest only a couple ever do so I get your point. As for being a Beatle evangelist, I understand this too. I stand up for them if somebody bashes them, but I realize that more people probably dont like them then do anymore. Oh well.

I'm one of those people that would rather listen to the solo stuff than the actual Beatles anymore. I'm flat burned out on the band themselves. I'd much rather listen to Pauls, Ringo's, or Georges solo stuff as theres more variety (I dont care for Johns solo stuff that much). I've been this way for the last 15 years or so.

We're just entirely different people, but sometimes I just dont understand people making a decisions on music before its even released. Its like telling somebody you dont like liver and onions, but you never tried it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 10:20:02 AM »

First off, no I dont buy Puff Daddy or 50 Cent records because I dont like that style of music. I'm not going to sit here and say they are lame or they suck just because I dont like them. Hell, they are well known around the world so i'm betting they do their rap hip/hop stuff well.

As for your friends listening to The Kaiser Chiefs/Snow Patrol/The Killers/Scissor Sisters and so forth,,,,I find that odd seeing as how your profile states your 48 years old (I dont know that for sure). Arent these bands what teenagers and younger adults listen to? I dont know because i've never heard of them (well I do have a Killers CD that was given to me by my nephew and I didnt care for it to much). Anyways, i'm 37 and none of my friends listen to that kind of music that i'm aware of.

As a Beatle fan, i'm not pushing for my friends to buy McCartneys new one either (or his older stuff for that reason). Most of my friends wouldnt buy it because they know i'm going to own it and they'll listen to it with me. If they like it well enough, they'll go buy it. Simple as that, but to be honest only a couple ever do so I get your point. As for being a Beatle evangelist, I understand this too. I stand up for them if somebody bashes them, but I realize that more people probably dont like them then do anymore. Oh well.

I'm one of those people that would rather listen to the solo stuff than the actual Beatles anymore. I'm flat burned out on the band themselves. I'd much rather listen to Pauls, Ringo's, or Georges solo stuff as theres more variety (I dont care for Johns solo stuff that much). I've been this way for the last 15 years or so.

We're just entirely different people, but sometimes I just dont understand people making a decisions on music before its even released. Its like telling somebody you dont like liver and onions, but you never tried it.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2007, 10:32:02 AM »

Quote from: 373

No, but I'd take a punt on fried pigs penis.  :)

The Kaiser Chiefs/Killers thing. That's how it us, and I work in a rubbish collection depot, so these guys are pretty ordinary folk. They either don't buy music at all or are into contempory stuff. Can't explain the difference between our worlds. All I can guess is that these bands  produce a classic rock sound with a modern touch. The one common denominator is that they all have a very balsy in-your-face sound.  It's definately not aimed at skate boarding teenagers, nor is it made by kids in baggy clothes. It's sharp smart rock. I think it's this cross-the-board appeal that makes the UK rock scene the healthiest it's been in years.
And come on TK, I have to have some opinion on Macca's music. I do catch a bit of it via the media. And I don't think I've said anywhere that I know this album is going to be bad. It's just that I don't know anyone, old or young, who gets off to his type of music. He gives the impression now of making nice undemanding music. I'd love to be suprised.  
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2007, 10:36:14 AM »

I'm with you on that. I rarely listen to them now. But after forty years every song is seared into my memory.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2007, 10:46:24 AM »

Bands like Kaiser Chiefs, Bloc Party, Snow Patrol, Interpol, have a very wide ranging appeal, in the UK and Europe anyway. Just because we're old gits doesn't mean that we don't like some current stuff. OK, I don't like Rap/Hip Hop, but I'll listen to anything else and give it a fair crack. I'm pretty fond of Snow Patrol, BMRC, Kings Of Leon.

I don't think anyone was making any hard decisions about Paul's new album. We're guilty of makiing assumptions based on hard evidence from the past, and the fact that 64 year old rarely produce anything of any cosequence. I hope to be suprised. I was though, expecting much more from a Nigel Godrich produced album than I got. It's like he said 'I want to sound like Paul McCartney again'!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2007, 10:47:57 AM »

Sorry to go on.
Songs like Ruby (Kaiser Chiefs) and  Valerie (Zutons) have been big hits here, and would not have sounded out of place in the seventies, except that they DO sound contempory. (it's almost a sort of punk/AOR crossover). The Strokes started it all off.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2007, 10:48:57 AM »

Quote from: 185

I'm with you on that. I rarely listen to them now. But after forty years every song is seared into my memory.

Me neither. I am (hopefully) looking forward to them being re-issued remastered. I will then play them to death. Until then, there's too much else to listen to, and I only have one set of ears.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2007, 10:51:19 AM »

Quote from: 483

It's like he said 'I want to sound like Paul McCartney again'!

And what is this? What are you expecting? Thats what i'm trying to find out.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2007, 10:52:50 AM »

No, but I'd take a punt on fried pigs penis.  :)

Cheers to that for sure.

It's just that I don't know anyone, old or young, who gets off to his type of music.  

I do.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2007, 10:59:05 AM »

It just sounds like he's trying too hard to sound like someone he's not. He has a stadium band for God's sake. Why doesn't he take them into the studio and f*cking rock out!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2007, 11:02:56 AM »

It's a wierd one. For me the glory of The Beatles thing is Paul contrasting with John - with a bit of George every now and then. Together they produce such interesting, listenable, dynamic music. You rarely get a chance to get bored. But on their own it all becomes less attractive. Maybe that's it for me. I think Pet Sounds, for all its gee-whizz magic, gets a bit samey by the end. Brian could have done with a John. Imagine The Stones with a Jagger-Richard song partnership fighting for space with an all-systems-go Brian Jones.
Though I do really enjoy Band On The Run and Venus and Mars
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2007, 11:05:48 AM »

I'd love him to get his guitar out, drop the processed vocals and shiny sound, and sound like the 64 year old he is.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2007, 11:12:45 AM »

That's meant to be us, not Paul, by the way.
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2007, 09:05:02 PM »

hahaha ur old and ur fighting

very clever photo illustration (grin)
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2007, 11:20:29 PM »

Quote from: 483

It just sounds like he's trying too hard to sound like someone he's not. He has a stadium band for God's sake. Why doesn't he take them into the studio and f*cking rock out!

This is exactly why we're having this conversation. First off, he isnt going to take his band in the studio to rock out becase he's not a rocker. What album has Paul ever done would you classify as a rocker? (exclude Run Devil Run)

Band On The Run and Venus And Mars (but not so much) are the closest because they have a couple of rock tunes on them surrounded by pop and other style tunes. He has never been a rocker, but everybody wants him to be one because he did it well when he did it. Him rocking out is a Paul that is trying to sound and be somebody he isnt.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2007, 11:23:34 PM »

I'd love him to get his guitar out, drop the processed vocals and shiny sound, and sound like the 64 year old he is.

And you would like that? Chaos and Creation was close to that as he finally did an album with the type of music he enjoys, but for some reason it gets shunned on this board. I cant figure it out.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2007, 11:26:54 PM »

It's a wierd one. For me the glory of The Beatles thing is Paul contrasting with John - with a bit of George every now and then. Together they produce such interesting, listenable, dynamic music. You rarely get a chance to get bored. But on their own it all becomes less attractive. Maybe that's it for me. I think Pet Sounds, for all its gee-whizz magic, gets a bit samey by the end. Brian could have done with a John. Imagine The Stones with a Jagger-Richard song partnership fighting for space with an all-systems-go Brian Jones.
Though I do really enjoy Band On The Run and Venus and Mars

Well, every band for the last 40 years has been trying to reproduce the magic that the Beatles had, but it hasent happened and probably wont. You cant blame the solo careers for fairing any worse.

The closest solo album out of all of the guys to sound like the actual Beatles is RAM, but you like Band On The Run and Venus And Mars the best. I dont know.

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »

May I interupt your ancientnessess?

Paul is a rocker as much as he is anything else.

CACITBY is a great McCartney/Godrich record, not a great McCartney record. That's not to say I dislike it, I prefer my solo Macca to be solo Macca, ala doing what he thinks best with the tracks.

He has nothng left to prove, but he still proves it well. Whether or not he's important is for you to decide for youmselves.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2007, 11:41:16 PM »

... only to say that Sir George produced Tug Of War ...

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2007, 11:47:54 PM »

Iye. True, your point?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 77 queries.