Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hello I'm new, have some question..  (Read 2846 times)

Sarit

• One And One Is Two
Hello I'm new, have some question..
« on: May 10, 2005, 06:53:01 PM »

Hello everyone,
I'm new here. I was really glad to find an active forum and I hope I'll be able to tak part in it.

I have a few questions about Geroge and I was hoping you could answer them for me.

1) What are the songs
- While my guitar gently weeps
-Old brown shoe
-Beware of darkness
 about? I mean, do they have an intersting background story?
I love those songs and I want to understand them..

Second question is, since when did Georoge and Eric Clapton knew each other?

Last one - do you know of any good George sites? I mean fan sites, not official ones..

Thank you and nice to meet you all!
Beatles sites ! >> Daily Beatles News! -  Follow-The-Sun

Re: Hello I'm new, have some question..
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 08:35:44 PM »

welcome to the forums, sarit! hope you have a good time here, and dont become too addicted on them!lol. erm, id like to know wat the inspiration for 'while my guitar....' is as well, but i think george(and john) must have met eric clapton, around the same time they met bob dylan, around 1965, 66.  no sorry, i do not know any good george sites

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 11:30:23 PM »

here is one of the best george fan sites....http://www.hariscruffs.com/discography1.html

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 11:34:35 PM »

they met on the astral plane first.in psychically i'd only be guessing,so i won't...........oh and welcome to the boards.....

joan was quizzical

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 06:07:12 AM »

Well, concerning While My Guitar Gently Weeps.....

I don't know the whole story but I heard something about George flipping through a book and picking a random phrase, and he came upon "Gently weeps." That's what inspired him to begin with I suppose.

~ missy

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 11:10:46 PM »

Here is a great website about the beatles that gives a small of big background story of every Beatles song. http://www.beatles-discography.com/index.html?http://www.beatles-discography.com/o.html enjoy.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 12:35:58 AM »

Quote from: Wordno
Here is a great website about the beatles that gives a small of big background story of every Beatles song. http://www.beatles-discography.com/index.html?http://www.beatles-discography.com/o.html enjoy.

LOL!!! Priceless. I checked out this site and the very first words for the descrpition of 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' are these - This over-rated song,,,. I agree 100% with them. I know this song is loved by many, but it bores the hell out of me. Great site by the way.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 01:11:37 AM »

nice site i likes

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 10:28:35 AM »

hey bk.........you wrote that review i think...

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 12:02:50 AM »

Nah,,,,the actual review was much easier on the song than I would be.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 09:35:29 PM »

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

"George go the idea to write While My Guitar Gently Weeps out of a book. In fact, he was reading the "I Ching" (Chinese book of changes) and decided to write a song with the first line he got out of a book. The line was "gently weeps". The song demonstrates that George had already grown a lot as composer, and this was a clear demonstration of it. From the first song demo, which can be found in Anthology 3, an outstanding acoustic version of the song, the number proved to be almost magical. However, it was quite hard for Harrison to achieve the same magic with more instruments. For the first time, The Beatles brought in an 8 track machine to record a song in Abbey Road, and several tries were made to record the song.
But a crying guitar was not that easy to play. Well, any other musician would have had an immediate solution (a tone pedal, wah-wah, or a Cry-Baby -commercial brand). George however wished the guitar to cry, but not as 60's guitars were crying all over, specially in Hendrix's hands. First he tried to record a backwards solo, but the thing didn't quite work out. The day after, as Eric Clapton gave him a lift from Surrey into London, he suggested Eric might want to play a bit for The Beatles. Clapton didn't want to "because no one plays with The Beatles". However, George finally convinced him, and a Gibson Les Paul can be heard crying all over the song.

Eric Clapton didn't make much fuzz about this session. He went in, delivered a solo out of this world and left. The solo did in any case, and in Clapton's opinion, sound "too Clapton". Chris Thomas was given the job to give the guitar a flanging effect by playing around with an oscillator. A hard job, worth a masterpiece."

I'd rather like that way.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 09:37:17 PM »

Old Brown Shoe

"George demoed Old Brown Shoe on February 25th 1969 at Abbey Road along with "Something" and "All Things Must Pass". The day before at the piano he had hit a chord sequence he liked, to which words were added. Old Brown Shoe is a powerful song, with a good guitar solo and a extraordinary bass. The lyrics are not specially meaningful in terms of telling a story, and that even semt to get into George Martin when mixing the vocal (it is clear at the beginning of the song that raising the level a little would have helped quite a lot)"

zilch

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 02:17:47 PM »

From an Eric Clapton interview, he says 'I was in The Yardbirds and we were playing a thing called The Beatles Show at the Hammersmith Odeon in London and we were bottom of the bill. That is where I first met George in 1964 and we became good friends'.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 04:34:52 PM »

Quote from: raxo
While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Eric Clapton didn't make much fuzz about this session. He went in, delivered a solo out of this world and left. from: http://www.spanishbeatles.com/

I'd rather like that way.

I've always thought Clapton's solo was  nothing special, and certainly not worth all the effort (or all the subsequent mythology)
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 07:08:47 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b

I've always thought Clapton's solo was  nothing special, and certainly not worth all the effort (or all the subsequent mythology)

I'm with you. I think the whole song is somewhat overrated.

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 71 queries.