Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21

Author Topic: Which Beatle book are you reading right now?  (Read 87688 times)

dsg7286

• One And One Is Two
    • Beatles '64-'70 American Discography page
Re: Which Beatle book are you reading right now?
« Reply #360 on: September 02, 2011, 05:44:54 PM »

I'm reading McCartney- A Life, by Peter Carlin. So far, so good.
DSG

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #361 on: September 04, 2011, 08:20:40 PM »

I'm reading McCartney- A Life, by Peter Carlin. So far, so good.

Same here. Very readable, I like the author's style. A few little snippets of information and anecdotes which I'd never come across before. I've just reached 1975 and "Venus & Mars". Really enjoying it so far.

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #362 on: September 04, 2011, 11:28:01 PM »

Same here. Very readable, I like the author's style. A few little snippets of information and anecdotes which I'd never come across before. I've just reached 1975 and "Venus & Mars". Really enjoying it so far.
what are the snippets and anecdotes? I mean can you just sum the interesting ones up that you've not come across b4. Thanks.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #363 on: September 05, 2011, 12:25:13 AM »

what are the snippets and anecdotes? I mean can you just sum the interesting ones up that you've not come across b4. Thanks.

Off the top of my head, one that springs to mind is when a couple of dogged journalists tracked Paul down to his remote farmhouse in 1970. This was in the immediate aftermath of the break up and they caught Paul in a foul and furious temper. Apparently he hurled a bucket at them from the threshold of his home and shouted abuse - all of which they caught on camera. After sending them on their way and slamming the door, Macca - ever the PR man - realised just how badly this could come out and charged across the moors in hot pursuit of the chastened journos, apologised and charmed them into destroying the film with the promise that they could return with him to the cottage and he'd give them some more amenable photo opportunities and an exclusive interview. They got their scoop and he preserved his image. The story might be well known to some but I'd never heard it.

And it fleshed out the circumstances behind Henry McCullough's and Denny Seiwell's departures from Wings with a bit more detail revealing Paul's stingy side. It's not a hagiography by any means, it presents a rounded profile of McCartney the man.

KelMar

« Reply #364 on: September 05, 2011, 04:23:57 AM »

^^^
Was that when Life magazine went to find out if Paul was still alive?

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #365 on: September 05, 2011, 09:42:37 AM »

Off the top of my head, one that springs to mind is when a couple of dogged journalists tracked Paul down to his remote farmhouse in 1970. This was in the immediate aftermath of the break up and they caught Paul in a foul and furious temper. Apparently he hurled a bucket at them from the threshold of his home and shouted abuse - all of which they caught on camera. After sending them on their way and slamming the door, Macca - ever the PR man - realised just how badly this could come out and charged across the moors in hot pursuit of the chastened journos, apologised and charmed them into destroying the film with the promise that they could return with him to the cottage and he'd give them some more amenable photo opportunities and an exclusive interview. They got their scoop and he preserved his image. The story might be well known to some but I'd never heard it.

And it fleshed out the circumstances behind Henry McCullough's and Denny Seiwell's departures from Wings with a bit more detail revealing Paul's stingy side. It's not a hagiography by any means, it presents a rounded profile of McCartney the man.

yeah. that's a pretty well known incident. I think it was the Life guys going to see about the Paul is dead rubbish. I read that Howard Soames book from cover to cover and there wasn't much apart from what Hugh Padgam said about Press that I'd not heard before. I don't hink I'm ever gonna read another book about the Beatles. Except the m>lewishon one but even that might not have anythng new in it. I actually tried to contact Mark Lewishon 'cause there's a Y/t vid of a Beatle press conference where Paul says something I can't quite understand. I've got to go now but I'll post a link and explain later.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #366 on: January 12, 2012, 12:52:53 AM »

Allan Williams' 'The Man Who Gave Away the Beatles."

Jema

• Getting Better
  • "The Beatles will exist without us." - George
« Reply #367 on: January 13, 2012, 02:56:43 PM »

I'm reading The Beatles Anthology.

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #368 on: January 16, 2012, 10:53:57 AM »

Here, there and everywhere by Geoff Emerick.
I'd heard somewhere that he didn't portary George very well and he does say some pretty harsh things about some of his playing, specificically his solo's, but he also says some good things about his playing. The big one...Tomorrow never knows was only covered in a page and 1/2 which surprised me 'cause it's such a major and radical work and Geoff was obviously a prime mover in the sound. ~There didn't seem to be anything new about what he said about it.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #369 on: January 17, 2012, 02:07:14 AM »

Yellow Submarine :)

A delightful little book. While it is not word for word for the movie, but the pictures are nice to look at (and help us to recite the movie :P )

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #370 on: January 17, 2012, 02:47:43 AM »

Here, there and everywhere by Geoff Emerick.
I'd heard somewhere that he didn't portary George very well and he does say some pretty harsh things about some of his playing, specificically his solo's, but he also says some good things about his playing. The big one...Tomorrow never knows was only covered in a page and 1/2 which surprised me 'cause it's such a major and radical work and Geoff was obviously a prime mover in the sound. ~There didn't seem to be anything new about what he said about it.
What I LOVED about this book is Emerick didn't particularly like The Beatles and showed everyone what kind of people they were behind the scenes...They were typical stars who wanted everything done to them and not too friendly to anyone underneath them...As far as I know, the recording session stories Emerick presented in this book were the first printed, but I could be wrong on this.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #371 on: January 17, 2012, 03:27:40 AM »

Yellow Submarine :)

A delightful little book. While it is not word for word for the movie, but the pictures are nice to look at (and help us to recite the movie :P )

;D

Welcome back, KE!

I can stay till it's time to go

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #372 on: January 17, 2012, 08:46:41 PM »

Welcome back, KE!

Thank you!!!! Good to be back!

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #373 on: January 18, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »

What I LOVED about this book is Emerick didn't particularly like The Beatles and showed everyone what kind of people they were behind the scenes...They were typical stars who wanted everything done to them and not too friendly to anyone underneath them...As far as I know, the recording session stories Emerick presented in this book were the first printed, but I could be wrong on this.
I wouldn't go that far. I think he liked them, even George, but he's just being honest about what they could be like. He seems to be easing off on any McCartney critism though and I'm esp. disappointed there's not account of what happend during the recording of She said she said that led to Paul storming out. He doesn't even mention Paul didn't play on that song!
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

KelMar

« Reply #374 on: January 19, 2012, 06:06:06 AM »

I wouldn't go that far. I think he liked them, even George, but he's just being honest about what they could be like. He seems to be easing off on any McCartney critism though and I'm esp. disappointed there's not account of what happend during the recording of She said she said that led to Paul storming out. He doesn't even mention Paul didn't play on that song!

He sounded like he really didn't even know John all that well.

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #375 on: January 19, 2012, 09:49:16 AM »

What happened on that song, anyway?

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #376 on: January 19, 2012, 10:09:32 AM »

What happened on that song, anyway?

I don't know. I don't think anyone's ever spoken about it in detail or even barely mentioned it at all. It seems to have been a unique event up until the White album sessions when obviously things were more fractious. It wasn't even public knowlege until Mark lewishon revelaed it in the late 80's in The complete Beatles recordings sessions. Up until then, I think, everyone just always assumed it was Paul playing bass.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #377 on: January 20, 2012, 02:30:27 AM »

Well, what about Paul storming out? Why did he storm out?

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
« Reply #378 on: March 28, 2012, 07:08:46 PM »

The Ray Connolly Beatles Archive

topperking99

• One And One Is Two
  • The Toppermost of the Poppermost
« Reply #379 on: March 28, 2012, 08:23:13 PM »

Revolution In the Head - Ian McDonald
I've read it probably 10 or more times. It's close by ... just pick it up and randomly pick a page and read. My favorite book about their music.
I don't agree with some of the opinions Mr. McDonald had regarding some of their songs, but a fascinating read nonetheless.
We All Live In a Yellow Submarine
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21

Page created in 0.755 seconds with 80 queries.