Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Real Love - Beatles slower version  (Read 2027 times)

KEROUAC

• A Beginning
Real Love - Beatles slower version
« on: December 05, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »

I only just discovered that there was an original slower version of Real Love as the eventual released version was speeded up. I much prefer this one which makes me wonder what made Jeff Lynne think it was a good idea to speed it up. John's vocal is too squeaky on the latter version.

http://youtu.be/IYDwMeoCYB8

Overall though I do prefer the much earlier raw version of just John and piano. I'd love to hear this with more subtle additions by Paul and George (sorry Ringo). Personally I believe that's the way John would have gone with it.

http://youtu.be/ze7MjZmKZRc
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:50:53 PM by KEROUAC »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Real Love - Beatles slower version
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 02:34:51 AM »

I hadn't heard that version before. Perhaps they sped it up to contrast it with Free as a Bird. Which had a languid sort of pace. By speeding it up it came across more as a pop single.

I can see the attraction to the slower version and yes Johns voice does lose that thin sound.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 12:17:48 AM »

It never evolved beyond a rough demo but I like to think John would have approved of the treatment the other three former Beatles plus Jeff Lynne gave it. Breathed life and tempo into what was otherwise (like "Free As A Bird") a kind of Mogadon-laced, zombified plodder. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:19:54 AM by Mr Mustard »

KEROUAC

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 10:56:17 AM »

Wouldn't you agree that John's voice sounds a little unnatural on the faster version? That's something I also didn't like on Free as a Bird, the vocal sounds a bit Stephen Hawking.  I know they needed to remove lots of hiss but I don't know why they couldn't have preserved the vocal sound which to me sounds great on the original piano demo

Page created in 0.709 seconds with 43 queries.