Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Poll: Which Is Your Favorite Version Of Love Me Do?  (Read 8258 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Poll: Which Is Your Favorite Version Of Love Me Do?
« on: October 05, 2012, 10:21:42 PM »

Which is your favorite version of Love Me Do?

1. 6 June 1962 with Pete Best on drums, as part of their audition at EMI Studios (Anthology)

The Beatles Love Me Do Anthology 1 version

2. 4 September 1962, with Ringo Starr (Past Masters)

The Beatles - Love Me Do (Past Masters, Vol. 1)

3. 11 September 1962, with Andy White (Please Please Me)

The Beatles - Love Me Do

I can stay till it's time to go
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Poll: Which Is Your Favorite Version Of Love Me Do?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 11:25:36 PM »

As for me, my favorite is the Pete Best version.  I know it's been criticized for his change of drum pattern, but I like what he did.  I also prefer the vocals on this version.
I can stay till it's time to go

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 04:26:13 PM »

I've just listened to all three again and I definitely prefer Andy White.

But actually it's not that simple. I like the version with Andy White because the harmonica is better, Paul's vocal is better, the fade is better and Ringo's tambourine gives it more punch and covers up the rather pedestrian bass.

Good ol' Ringo !

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 06:01:36 AM »

This was a very well-timed poll! I had a hard time deciding, as I always do when I have to choose a favorite anything. The Pete Best version kind of drags but Paul's vocal is pretty soulful. That's cool. I wanted to choose the Ringo version because I always picture his sad face when he was relegated to the tambourine. After many times of listening to all three versions though I had to go with Andy White. As I listened I noticed that I have more trouble staying still with that one. It's got a good beat and it's easy to dance to as they used to say. That's probably a lame reason but it's all I've got!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 11:37:26 PM »

Give me Ringo's version off of Vertical Man

Ringo Starr - Love me do

Out of the three listed, i'd take Andy White's version.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »

The Andy White's version has the best performance by far. They even deleted the Ringo's version (used on the debut single in UK) so that they make sure that the White's version would be used in the future. That's why they had to use a copy of the vinyl disk so that the Ringo's version can be included in Past Masters.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

nimrod

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 11:55:08 PM »

my opinion is;
Pete Best didnt keep time well enough, the recording sounds sloppy
Ringo kept time well but compared to the White version it sounds less 'technical' and less professional in terms of delivery and the sharpness of the drum sound, Whites version sounds very crisp and succinct, I dont blame G Martin for using White.

Jema

• Getting Better
  • "The Beatles will exist without us." - George
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 02:55:38 AM »

I personally prefer the version with Andy White on drums, and the reason for this may not seem good enough. My reason is that my favorite part in all three versions is the part from 1:31 - 1:49, and in the Andy White version it sounds the best. In the version when Ringo drums, I don't like the clapping behind it, and in the Pete version (which is the worst one out of the three because I don't like the whole song's speed, it's obviously slower than Ringo's and Andy's), the drum part doesn't match the rest of the parts at that section of the song too good. I'm going to have Love Me Do stuck in my head for the rest of the night :)

nimrod

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 03:27:49 AM »

I get mixed up with this, didnt they use Ringo's for the single and Whites on the album ?

strange how G martin said (in his book)  he didnt know what happened to Whites version with Ringo on tambourine........ITS ON THE ALBUM GEORGE :D

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 08:58:27 AM »

I get mixed up with this, didnt they use Ringo's for the single and Whites on the album ?

strange how G martin said (in his book)  he didnt know what happened to Whites version with Ringo on tambourine........ITS ON THE ALBUM GEORGE :D

Yes Ringo was on the single and White was on the album.

I haven't got Georges's book. What does he say exactly?

nimrod

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 09:54:10 AM »

he explains how he told Brian that pete Best wasnt good enough to record during their sound test, then when they came to abbey rd to record Love Me Do he'd booked a session drummer (White) he said ringo was a bit upset but george insisted on using White, then they recorded a second version of it with Ringo, he says 'I think we ended up releasing the Ringo version, I have no idea what happened to the one where he plays tambourine'

well George its on the album :D

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 02:18:49 PM »

he explains how he told Brian that pete Best wasnt good enough to record during their sound test, then when they came to abbey rd to record Love Me Do he'd booked a session drummer (White) he said ringo was a bit upset but george insisted on using White, then they recorded a second version of it with Ringo, he says 'I think we ended up releasing the Ringo version, I have no idea what happened to the one where he plays tambourine'

Actually the Ringo's version was recorded first (September 4, 1962) and later the White's version (September 11, 1962). Maybe the great George is losing his memory. The White's version of "Love Me Do" was certainly used in Please Please Me album but also in The Beatles' Hits EP, greatest hits collections and new editions of the single (including the US single released in 1964).

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 02:44:30 PM »

Thanks nimrod. The mind boggles! :)

It must also be remembered that there was another producer, Ron Richards, who completely agreed with George Martin. It was Ron Richards who was there when the White version was recorded. This was already finished  when George arrived at one o'clock in the morning.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 02:52:13 PM »

Actually the Ringo's version was recorded first (September 4, 1962) and later the White's version (September 11, 1962). Maybe the great George is losing his memory. The White's version of "Love Me Do" was certainly used in Please Please Me album but also in The Beatles' Hits EP, greatest hits collections and new editions of the single (including the US single released in 1964).

Yes indeed. There were of course three attempts at Love Me Do with three different drummers.

As regards the UK, the single was the Ringo version for a very long time (until 1976). Lewisohn makes a mistake on this when he says it was replaced quickly in the UK.

Here's an interesting link to all the info :

http://www.moptop.org/music/docs/beatles/cv/uksingle/r4949.htm

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 04:50:45 PM »

Yes indeed. There were of course three attempts at Love Me Do with three different drummers.

As regards the UK, the single was the Ringo version for a very long time (until 1976). Lewisohn makes a mistake on this when he says it was replaced quickly in the UK.

Here's an interesting link to all the info :

http://www.moptop.org/music/docs/beatles/cv/uksingle/r4949.htm

But apparently the master of Ringo's version was deleted, that's why they had to use a vinyl copy to release the track in CD format. How could they make a new edition of the version without the master? I doubt that they had deleted or lost the master after 1976 when the Beatles were already a legend, it must have been done early in the 1960's.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 08:33:39 AM »

But apparently the master of Ringo's version was deleted, that's why they had to use a vinyl copy to release the track in CD format. How could they make a new edition of the version without the master? I doubt that they had deleted or lost the master after 1976 when the Beatles were already a legend, it must have been done early in the 1960's.

The only logical explanation is that the master was lost between the fourth pressing in the mid sixties and the time in the 1976 when they did the singles collection. This was before CDs.

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 69 queries.