Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 1718 times)

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
Help!
« on: November 03, 2006, 08:40:28 PM »

It's commonly thought that the first Beatles song on a non-love theme was Nowhere Man. And, that's what we were saying in this forum last year. But, for a while now I've realised that actually it was Help! And, John making his own genuine cry for help. As according to A Hard Day's Write.

Also, would anyone have preferred to have had If You've Got Trouble and That Means A Lot on the Help! album instead of the two covers? I for one would have. Call me a Beatles snob, but I really don't like any of the cover versions. And it would have made it the first Beatles album without cover versions. How it should have been from the start IMO. I wish they had only used their own compositions from the start. I did read a long time ago that Sir George regretted ever having made them do cover versions. All those other songs we missed!
All You Need Is LOVE!

apple sauce

• Getting Better
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 10:18:27 PM »

I allways thought it was "We Can Work It Out"? which came out earlier?

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 11:20:14 PM »

Quote from: 23

Doesn't that song include the word love?
All You Need Is LOVE!

Tatterdemalion

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 02:15:49 PM »

Quote from: 139
Also, would anyone have preferred to have had If You've Got Trouble and That Means A Lot on the Help! album instead of the two covers? I for one would have. Call me a Beatles snob, but I really don't like any of the cover versions. And it would have made it the first Beatles album without cover versions.

A Hard Day's Night has no covers.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 03:39:44 PM »

Quote from: 475

A Hard Day's Night has no covers.

Forgot that.
All You Need Is LOVE!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 08:48:03 PM »

Doesn't that song include the word love?

A song can have the word 'love' ini it without being a love song.

Taxgirl

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 10:18:23 PM »

Quote from: 23

Help came out earlier.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 11:12:21 PM »

Quote from: 483

A song can have the word 'love' ini it without being a love song.

True. And, I think WCWIO can be listened to as either a love song or a message song.
All You Need Is LOVE!

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 06:12:06 PM »

John wanted Help! to be a slow Dylanesque number. Changed for commercial reasons. John regretted it. Strong the way it is though.
All You Need Is LOVE!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 08:12:15 AM »

John wanted Help! to be a slow Dylanesque number. Changed for commercial reasons. John regretted it. Strong the way it is though.

John seems to have changed a few of his songs under pressure. I don't remember ever reading that McCartney ever had to change any of his.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 12:40:42 PM »

Quote from: 483

John seems to have changed a few of his songs under pressure. I don't remember ever reading that McCartney ever had to change any of his.

A number of John's songs were harder and grittier. Maybe not commercial enough compared to Paul's sweeter and more optimistic numbers.
All You Need Is LOVE!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 11:18:13 AM »

Here is a bluesy reworking of Help!  :) ... it's a much slower version. John was thinking about re-recording some of his more personal Guyssongs  :-/ ...

At one point Yoko makes a comment and John answers "I don't care how you want to sing it, dear, I'm singing it myself at the moment ..."  8)  ;D

Uploaded here: http://rapidshare.com/files/3572130/Help_.mp3.html

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 11:33:01 AM »

Quote from: 297

Here is a bluesy reworking of Help!  :) ... it's a much slower version. John was thinking about re-recording some of his more personal Guyssongs  :-/ ...

At one point Yoko makes a comment and John answers "I don't care how you want to sing it, dear, I'm singing it myself at the moment ..."  8)  ;D

Uploaded here: http://rapidshare.com/files/3572130/Help_.mp3.html

Thanks for that. I remember someone posted here something about a conversation between John and George Martin over coffee where John said about re-working Beatles songs including and especially Strawberry Fields Forever.
All You Need Is LOVE!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 02:13:49 PM »

Thanks for that. I remember someone posted here something about a conversation between John and George Martin over coffee where John said about re-working Beatles songs including and especially Strawberry Fields Forever.

John said they always had to spend ages on the little details of Paul's songs, and his stuff always seemed to be rushed through. He particularly mentioned SF.

I do think that sometimes he had a selective memory!

They spent about 7 days on SF. I've read John moaning about the time they spent on Maxwells Silveer Hammer, but that seems to have taken less (according to Lewishon).

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 61 queries.