Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beatles vs Solo  (Read 6278 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Beatles vs Solo
« on: March 24, 2014, 07:18:39 PM »

I think it's safe to say that a good majority of us prefer both Lennon and McCartney in their Beatles days more. But what about George? I only own All Things Must Pass, but I gotta say, I think many-a songs off that one can easily compete with his best Beatles offerings. I'm curious to hear the opinions of people who've heard more of his solo stuff.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

nimrod

Re: Beatles vs Solo
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:48:39 PM »

For me he made one good album, the one you already have, he wrote most of that as a Beatle Im told. I have all his albums but (like the other Beatle solo albums) I never play them, imo they are very average with the odd good track and theres many other bands that Id play in preference too them, I don't like any of his preachy stuff, Krishna and all that.
George wrote some great melodies in his life, none better than Something imo.
Maybe he needed a partner. Maybe all the time it should've been Lennon/McCartney/Harrison

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 10:57:53 PM »

I think it'd be clear cut that George solo beats George Beatle if George hasn't released Sonething and Hear Comes the Sun with the Beatles. I think most people would rate them if not the top, very near his top songs. Only My Sweet Lord could compete in general public recognition ( and he had some help with that one  ;))

I tend to look at it as George hit his peak from around 68 to 72. Whether with the Beatles or solo. He was still plundering the late 60s tunes til the early 80s. He was extremely prolific in that period. He also did a lot of session work,  producing and co-writing.

As to how his solo songs compare with Beatle tunes. I'd rate several as the equal or better of pretty much all his Beatle songs except Something, which is a deserved classic. Most of those would come from that 68 to 72 period though.

George's solo career benefits from iTunes playlists format. After ATMP his albums were very patchy. But you can pick out some good tunes on them.

I do tend to listen to George's solo stuff more than Paul or Johns. But I've always had a soft spot for George. It's an underdog thing.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »

As I've mentioned before, I really don't like the production on 'All Things Must Pass' and still can't bring myself to like it, even though I've no problem with the production on 'Let It Be' (even the much-discussed 'The Long and Winding Road').

Outside of 'Wonderwall', I wouldn't put any of his solo stuff above 'If I Needed Someone', 'Love You To', 'I Want To Tell You', 'The Inner Light', 'Long, Long, Long', 'Only A Northern Song', 'Old Brown Shoe' or the Anthology 3 version of 'All Things Must Pass', but that's as much to do with the era than anything else.
Why would I listen to George in 1979 when I can listen to him in 1969?

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 05:52:40 PM »

I agree with others who feel that the solo works (of all of them) are generally not that entertaining.

I like 'Brainwashed' a lot. Better than ATMP, actually. Guess it's my fave.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 09:38:23 PM »

Why would I listen to George in 1979 when I can listen to him in 1969?

Because... you can have more george that way! ;D

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 09:46:18 PM »

I agree with others who feel that the solo works (of all of them) are generally not that entertaining.

I like 'Brainwashed' a lot. Better than ATMP, actually. Guess it's my fave.

:)

I like Brainwashed too. I'd go as far as to say it's the only George album I'd play end to end. ATMP being a double album is ripe for playing only bits of at a time. Cloud 9 is a good consistent commercial album and deserved its success but has bit too much 80s sheen for my tastes.

Brainwashed is a solid bunch of tunes, the best of which stand with his best solo material,  with some great guitar and no real clunkers.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 07:45:40 PM »

I think it's safe to say that a good majority of us prefer both Lennon and McCartney in their Beatles days more. But what about George? I only own All Things Must Pass, but I gotta say, I think many-a songs off that one can easily compete with his best Beatles offerings. I'm curious to hear the opinions of people who've heard more of his solo stuff.

Other than Macca's Wings stuff 1970-77, all my other solo stuff is Greatest Hits only. But my Greatest Hits have grown over the years to include nice songs that weren't considered hits, and I find George & John had "a lot" of nice songs.  Unfortunately I only have 5 Ringo songs, and as much as I have tried, that's all I can stomach of his.
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 12:36:12 AM »

Put it this way:  What do you prefer - the chicken or its eggs?
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 11:47:19 AM »

I'd easily choose Georges' solo output and its not even close.

Page created in 0.739 seconds with 63 queries.