Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dark Side of the Oz  (Read 1780 times)

Dark Side of the Oz
« on: March 04, 2005, 06:00:41 AM »

For the uninitiated, someone with a). too much time on their hands; b). some incredible spliff, or c) all of the above, figured out that "The Wizard of Oz" and "Dark Side of the Moon" are synchronized. You can find DVDs that have them synchronized, and here's the list. Some are way out there and some are dead on.

http://members.cox.net/stegokitty/dsotr_pages/definitive_list.htm
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Ivo

• A Beginning
Re: Dark Side of the Oz
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 08:57:18 AM »

I've tried this many times myself.  I know its a complete coincidence but its pretty cool to a certain degree.
I'm off like a herd of turtles.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 04:03:42 AM »

yes ive heard of this,
very cool

Paul McCartney :)

joan was quizzical

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 05:51:57 AM »

My favourite is when she's laying on the bed while the house is spinning up inside the tornado, and the Great Gig in the Sky is playing.... So beautiful.

~ missy

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 06:11:49 AM »

I have both the movie and album but have never tried it. Here's Gilmour's thoughts on it:

RC: So youve never tried to play Dark Side Of The Moon over The Wizard of Oz, so that your music is apparently in sync with the film?

Of course not! That's one of the most ludicrous things that's come out, and it just runs and runs and runs. I mean, were obviously to blame for some of these stupid things ourselves, but that one God knows where that one came from. Oh alright, I did try it once, actually. It didnt seem to make any sense whatsoever. I wouldn't bother. It's better to listen to the words rather then to find out about little Dorothy and her red shoes!

Q: Is there any truth in the story that Dark Side Of The Moon doubles as a soundtrack to the Wizard Of Oz?
(N.F.- Cardiff)

DG: If it does, then Roger (Waters, Floyd bassist/song-writer) never let me in on it. It seemed to bear no relation when I tried it. I mean, it can only last for the first forty minutes. What's supposed to happen for the rest of it? Was that supposed to match Wish You Were Here and um... (pause)

David Gilmour's view on the DSOTR sync -- not too encouraging for proponents for the "intent" theory

Interesting site:
http://members.cox.net/stegokitty/dsotr_pages/coincidence.htm

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 03:06:23 PM »

Its pretty cool. The DVD I have that synchs the two, what happens is that Dark Side of the Moon is played through 3 times.  Alan Parsons was a guest speaker at the Chicago Beatlefest 3 years ago and was fielding questions. One of the audience members asked him about it since Parsons engineered the album. Parsons gave the guy the look of death and actually got p*ssed about it and said it was the most stupid question/concept he'd ever heard of and then stopped taking questions.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 07:17:41 PM »

Ha! I guess they're a little sensitive to it! Well, it's certainly not as bad as people convinced you're dead! I like when Gilmour says, what are you supposed to do next is Wish You Were Here supposed to follow it? Heh, I guess this was before CD players and the continuous loop! I wonder what Roger thinks of it. Probably doesn't have as nice an attitude about it as David. I have to try it one day.

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 06:21:30 AM »

Sandra, you should try it some time since you own both the DVD and album, thought you would have tried it already

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 06:28:08 AM »

Yeah but you have to time it just right and all. I don't know if I'd have the patience. I'd rather buy one that's already done for me. I almost did. Don't know why I didn't.

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 06:37:38 AM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
Yeah but you have to time it just right and all. I don't know if I'd have the patience. I'd rather buy one that's already done for me. I almost did. Don't know why I didn't.

One time I got it perfect, then i accidently stopped the Cd 45 mins within the movie...it sucked

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

Paulsluv

• A Thousand Pages
  • Hold me tight, Paul!
    • My livejournal
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 09:37:24 PM »

My family and I tried that once. It was pretty cool, but we concluded the person(s) had too much time on their hands or were on drugs.  8)
Ohana means family. Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.--Lilo and Stitch.
Beatles to battle!--Paul, Yellow Submarine movie
Listen. Do you want to know a secret?
Have you hugged your Paul Today?
Drop me a letter in my mailbox. :D

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 64 queries.