Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 67-70 Blue album. Correct song choices?  (Read 4283 times)

Bulldog

• A Beginning
67-70 Blue album. Correct song choices?
« on: April 11, 2019, 12:19:53 PM »

A Youtube video says the songs for this were chosen by the Beatles. Not sure if correct or not.

Most of the song choices cannot be faulted. However 'Fool on the Hill', 'Octopus's Garden', 'Old Brown Shoe', 'Don't let me down', 'Ob la di, ob la da' could have been replaced. Although I like them all.

Would have replaced them with 'Your mother should know', 'Dear Prudence', 'I've got a feeling', 'You never give me your money'& 'Sexy Sadie'.

Suppose they wanted to make the album appeal to adults & children & include the universally famous songs -'ob la de, ob la da'/Octopus's Garden'.

If Ringo had vocals on two songs, they had to give George 'Old Brown Shoe', although prefer 'Savoy Truffle'. 

'Don't let me down' also being a B side gave it an edge over 'I've got a feeling'.

It's all subjective.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Re: 67-70 Blue album. Correct song choices?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 10:24:24 PM »

I’m fine with the choices no matter who made them.

There are so many good songs that two double album greatest hits didn’t cover all of them, tough problem to have

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 11:12:05 PM »

Part of the value of the Red and Blue was collecting songs that didn’t appear on the UK albums. So having b sides like Old Brown Shoe and Don’t Let Me Down made sense. Although yes you could substitute any number of songs in given the strength of their catalogue.

The red and blue albums were great compilations. They’re the first Beatle albums I bought for myself as opposed to listening to my brothers albums so I have a real soft spot for them.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 11:22:14 PM »

Wifey got them as a 21st birthday pressie Moog and she agree's with you. She still has those cassettes.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 10:19:28 AM »

The red and blue albums ...They’re the first Beatle albums I bought for myself

same here

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 12:32:27 AM »

The red and blue albums remain wonderful compilations and really served as the gateway into Beatledom for the 70s generation. But I tend to think both albums would feature slightly different track listings if released today.

Considering the modern reverence for Revolver it seems rather bizarre that nothing from that LP (barring the Eleanor Rigby/Yellow Submarine single) makes it onto the red album! Meanwhile Rubber Soul has a healthy representation of six tracks. Surely room should have been found at least for a "standard" like Got To Get You Into My Life?

The blue album includes little known (to the wider public) B sides like Old Brown Shoe (fair enough, it would otherwise remain forever hidden on the flipside of their final chart topping single) yet ignores (again) a "standard" like When I'm Sixty Four.

I suspect nowadays that hitherto overlooked gems like Blackbird and Hey Bulldog, whose cachet seems to have grown and blossomed with each passing year, would by now be impossible to disregard. But what, then, to omit?

Such is the embarrassment of riches that is The Beatles' canon. Their cup runneth over.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 01:41:53 AM »

yet the red did not include the first album song and mandatory club song - I saw her standing there.

Still in lookout for digital version of Help from the Red Album with the intro...anyone...Bueller...someone must have it on an off take cd , please...desperate...

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 05:43:05 AM »

The red and blue albums remain wonderful compilations and really served as the gateway into Beatledom for the 70s generation. But I tend to think both albums would feature slightly different track listings if released today.

Considering the modern reverence for Revolver it seems rather bizarre that nothing from that LP (barring the Eleanor Rigby/Yellow Submarine single) makes it onto the red album! Meanwhile Rubber Soul has a healthy representation of six tracks. Surely room should have been found at least for a "standard" like Got To Get You Into My Life?

The blue album includes little known (to the wider public) B sides like Old Brown Shoe (fair enough, it would otherwise remain forever hidden on the flipside of their final chart topping single) yet ignores (again) a "standard" like When I'm Sixty Four.

I suspect nowadays that hitherto overlooked gems like Blackbird and Hey Bulldog, whose cachet seems to have grown and blossomed with each passing year, would by now be impossible to disregard. But what, then, to omit?

Such is the embarrassment of riches that is The Beatles' canon. Their cup runneth over.

Well said Mr M.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 08:17:49 AM »

There was not much that could be changed. I would only change 6 songs.

The singles released in America & the UK had to be included. Some of them double A sides. Then there were famous & strong album tracks that had to be included. Such as 'Here Comes the Sun' & 'With a Little help from my friends'.

Thinking again, pleased 'Old Brown Shoe' found a place. Made in the days when B sides were worth flipping for.  It was not on any album, film or other Beatles greatest hits albums I know of.  It would never have been heard by new or casual Beatles fans.

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 08:43:52 AM »

Beatle singles were such major events.

The 'B' sides were considered a very important part & would have got a lot of air play. The days of bands just putting an old song recorded  at a concert on a B side was decades away.

This helps explain why The Beatles B sides were of high quality, some of which finding themselves on the Blue album.

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 57 queries.