Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why did Jimmy McCulloch leave Wings?  (Read 71020 times)

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
Why did Jimmy McCulloch leave Wings?
« on: April 21, 2006, 07:56:28 PM »

I think he was an amazing guitarist and sadly a bit unknown. I think he was a perfect fit to that band and made the band more of a rock band. When he left, Wings stopped really being a rock band. Anyone know the reason to why he left?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Why did Jimmy McCulloch leave Wings?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 04:30:31 AM »

I think he just had enough of Paul (ala Joe English) and just left. If i remember correctly, the London Town recordings with the boat and all didnt go very smoothly to say the least.

It might have been the heroin too. He did afterall overdose just two years later in 79'.

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 08:43:16 AM »

Henry McCullough (band member til August 1973):

'I didn't Macca much in Wings...'
Ulster guitarist says ex-Beatle kept members of supergroup on tight budget...

Henry McCullough has revealed how he reached the end of his own Abbey Road with Beatles' megastar Paul McCartney. For guitar virtuoso Henry McCullough has spoken about exactly why there was a parting of the ways between him and rock music's richest man more than 30 years ago.
The Portstewart-born musician has told how McCartney's alleged reluctance to honour pay increase promises fired his decision to take flight from 70s group Wings.
In the soon-to-be-published biography, McCartney, by Christopher Sandford, McCullough voiced his admiration and high regard for both Paul and his much-criticised first wife, Linda.
In an interview for the book, McCullough praised the courage of photographer-turned-musician Linda, who was ridiculed by many for joining Wings alongside her husband. In the book, he described Linda - who died of cancer in 1998 - as "a homemaker who, whatever people say, soon learned the piano as an alternative" and someone who "put a unique stamp" on their music. And he praised Paul for the time and advice he gave to other musicians - as well as championing unknown artists at the time, including David Essex.
McCullough's beautifully versatile blues, rock and country tinged guitar playing graced five UK Top 20 Wings hits - including his landmark 'one-take' guitar solo on the 1973 US chart-topper, My Love.
But Henry claimed that McCartney - recently estimated to be worth

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 10:28:36 AM »

i told you that paul was cheap...denny only got union scale for wages....which meant he got next to nothing....

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 09:59:48 PM »

Quote from: Wordno
I think he was an amazing guitarist and sadly a bit unknown. I think he was a perfect fit to that band and made the band more of a rock band. When he left, Wings stopped really being a rock band. Anyone know the reason to why he left?

He left on September 8th 1977 to join the re-formed Small Faces. Paul said "Jimmy has been playing some great guitar recently and it's a pity he is leaving, but problems have been building up for quite a while now and so the rest of us are happy to carry on without him." The Small Faces had a band called 'Blue' open up for them on their tour, which is the band Jimmy was in before he joined Paulie. Without a doubt, a great talent gone to waste.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 09:51:38 PM »

Paul didn't get that rich just "giving" money away.  Paul better hope he doesn't get reborn as a session musician.  Sounds like there's some karma there.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 10:51:10 PM »

P.S. to bobber--easy to do because of the last names--but ya got Henry and Jimmy twisted around. There's a number of people that are on one of the best selling singles of all time, but the los Bagpipers also only got union wage (and some free lager).

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 02:53:39 PM »

But you're playing with Paul McCartney.

I suppose smack is rather expensive though.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 09:52:25 AM »

so who is paul then???i think if i was denny i would sue for the rights to mull of kintyre....to pay someone scale shows no personability.....i would have to pass on playing with paul....he even tried horning in on carl perkins relationship with george....at least he wasn't on the tribute to rockabillys master.....

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 09:59:41 AM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm
P.S. to bobber--easy to do because of the last names--but ya got Henry and Jimmy twisted around. There's a number of people that are on one of the best selling singles of all time, but the los Bagpipers also only got union wage (and some free lager).

Ah, you're right. I always mix them up.

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 10:42:01 PM »

guilty was Steve Marriot.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 02:37:31 AM »

>Do u know what has eyes but can't see?
>I do!
>Run its....
>Knock knock
^
careful gonzo shaker seems dirky....he also is posting too many links...what for viruses....

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 03:58:31 PM »

Quote from: pc31
so who is paul then???i think if i was denny i would sue for the rights to mull of kintyre

Paul bought Denny out fair and square on that one.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 09:30:16 PM »

I just got in touch with Miller Anderson and he said that Jimmy had been asked to leave Wings. I'll let you know if he says anything else in his next email, as I asked him in response if Jim ever talked about his Wings days or why he left the band.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 04:37:21 AM »

Quote from: 682
I just got in touch with Miller Anderson and he said that Jimmy had been asked to leave Wings. I'll let you know if he says anything else in his next email, as I asked him in response if Jim ever talked about his Wings days or why he left the band.

I'm still wondering if it wasnt the herion. You cant work with people that have that demon on their shoulders. Remember, he wasnt in the Small Faces very long either. Something was going on there.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 05:09:52 AM »

Quote from: 373

I'm still wondering if it wasnt the herion. You cant work with people that have that demon on their shoulders. Remember, he wasnt in the Small Faces very long either. Something was going on there.

Good point, here's some more of what Miller said.

"He was a fine player mostly playing totally by instinct and from his heart and soul. As a person. he was, as with most people I have known with drug and alcohol problems , great when sober and straight !   After too much of anything mind altering, it was difficult to be in his company."

"If he were still alive today (and I really wish he was ) It could only be if he had given up all the things that finally ended his life. If he had cleaned up , I'm sure he'd still be enjoying playing his guitar. He never lost his love of music. I think Jimmy suffered from too much success at a very young age and he found it hard to cope with the down side of the Rock music business."

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 09:21:28 AM »

Quote from: 682
I think Jimmy suffered from too much success at a very young age and he found it hard to cope with the down side of the Rock music business."

That's really sad.  :(

This is an interesting thread, though.  My main guess for an answer to this question was that Paul and Jimmy couldn't get along, but there could've been many other things happening as well (such as drugs).

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 10:13:11 PM »

"...by mid-1977 Wings had lost their two newest members. Joe English missed his family and returned to the USA, while the volatile McCulloch left the group following a series of violent, drug-fuelled tantrums. Whithin two years the 24-year-old McCulloch had died from a suspected drugs overdose."

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 02:52:46 AM »

Quote from: 1393
"...by mid-1977 Wings had lost their two newest members. Joe English missed his family and returned to the USA, while the volatile McCulloch left the group following a series of violent, drug-fuelled tantrums. Whithin two years the 24-year-old McCulloch had died from a suspected drugs overdose."

The reason Joe left was because his wife got into a really bad car accident. Poor guy.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 08:28:32 PM »

"Jimmy talked about Wings a lot . As far as I know Paul McCartney had to sack him because of his bad behaviour (when he was out of it ) I'm sure Jimmy knew he had blown it!" - Miller Anderson
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 81 queries.