Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rod Murray: bass  (Read 11117 times)

Ligger

• A Beginning
Re: Rod Murray: bass
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 03:15:39 AM »

Wow. I didn't mean to offend anyone by posting that YouTube video, least of all, Bill Harry.

I just thought that it would be of interest to DM forum members to actually see and hear Stuart's best friend from the Art College (and ex Dissenter), Rod Murray, since he does not do many of these documentaries, as far as I know.

Believe me, I would have edited out myth-spinner, Allan Williams, if I had the tech savvy. Just posting that un- edited video took several tries.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 03:39:20 AM »

No prob, Ligger, I for one am thankful you did that. And even hearing Alan Williams, whether he is the font of truth or not, is very cool, IMO.

Hey, does anyone here know anyone who does professional video ... can someone do a Beatle project ... "Bill Harry Remembers"?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 10:46:28 AM »

Yes, Larry Parnes was gay and there was a large gay presence in the business side of the music scene. In  liverpool, for instance, Brian Epstein, Peter Brown, Joe Flannery and others.
In the meantime, here is a piece I wrote about Allan for the Encuclopedia:
WILLIAMS, ALLAN. Born in the Merseyside area of Bootle, he was a Liverpool coffee bar owner when he first became acquainted with John Lennon and Stuart Sutcliffe in 1959. The two were among some art students who frequented his Jacaranda Club in Slater Street. Shortly after he

BlueMeanie

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 10:52:27 AM »

^ Unfortunately, the myth usually makes for better reading. Ask any tabloid editor!

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 03:39:35 PM »

Yes, I'm aware of that. But does that mean we should abandon telling the truth? I've found in some cases that the truth is better than the myth. I know that people generally don't care about the mistakes that occur in the Beatles story, at least, where facts in their biographical history is concerned - such as the ridiculous assertion that they got their name from the Marlon Brando film - but you get a few facts wrong about their recording times, recording dates, or songs and you will have hordes of angry people descending on you!

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 04:48:28 PM »

Quote from: 1062
Yes, I'm aware of that. But does that mean we should abandon telling the truth? I've found in some cases that the truth is better than the myth. I know that people generally don't care about the mistakes that occur in the Beatles story, at least, where facts in their biographical history is concerned - such as the ridiculous assertion that they got their name from the Marlon Brando film - but you get a few facts wrong about their recording times, recording dates, or songs and you will have hordes of angry people descending on you!

I totally agree with you. In fact, something similar happened to me regarding The Beatles and Spanish guitars. There were stories circulating out there telling that John Lennon owned a Ramirez guitar, and the fact is, until now, no Ramirez guitar has been seen in John''s hands, judging from pics and other relevant documentation, something which is not only important for me, but for Amalia Ramirez (=i.e., the actual owner of Ramirez shop in Madrid) herself...

Best!! ;)

Xose

Ligger

• A Beginning
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 11:40:24 PM »

Has anyone actually seen this half-finished bass guitar that Rod Murray started building? What's it look like? I heard that it was finally on display somewhere in Liverpool recently.

Is Stuart's bass still at one of the Hard Rock Cafes?

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2009, 01:32:01 AM »

the group on the brando movie were the beetles......chino told johnny...
 That's better Johnny. You know I miss you. Ever since the club split up, I miss you. We all missed ya... you miss 'im? yea. The Beetles missed ya. All the Beetles missed ya. Come on Johnny, let's you and me go inside and have a beer...
hT_xrsjKN_Y
i think lee marvin was chino...

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2009, 01:37:53 AM »

i read that in one book that was where the name came from...i never believed it tho...

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2009, 10:55:21 AM »

Quote from: 1122
Has anyone actually seen this half-finished bass guitar that Rod Murray started building? What's it look like? I heard that it was finally on display somewhere in Liverpool recently...

Aha... Does anybody have any photos of it??

Xose

Ligger

• A Beginning
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 01:12:08 PM »

Rod Murray's story, in the video, is so cool:

It's December, 1959. He and Stuart help each other carry their massive paintings from Gambier Terrace all the way to the Walker Art Gallery to enter into the Second Moores competition. Stuart's entry is a huge dyptic, so after making two trips, they have to go back to the flat for the second panel. Instead, they get waylayed by a pal, for a few beers, and never make it.

And the thing is, the partial painting gets noticed by Mr. Moores' son. And then purchased by his dad as a gift for him. This is the stuff of legends.

But is Rod's tale really true...

...or just more myth making?

Here is one part of Stuart's 1959, Summer Painting:

I wonder what ever happened to the second panel,

that the two roommates never went back to the flat for.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2009, 01:32:24 PM »

Yes, Rod tells me he has pics of it. He still has it. He is going to prepare his story, with photos, for my Mersey Beat site.

Ligger

• A Beginning
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2009, 01:44:39 PM »

The half-finished bass, Bill?

Or the second panel of The Summer Painting?

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2009, 02:38:09 PM »

Yes, Rod tells me he has pics of it. He still has it. He is going to prepare his story, with photos, for my Mersey Beat site.

Perfect!! ;)

Please, let us know...

Best wishes!! ;)

Xose

Ligger

• A Beginning
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2009, 02:59:40 AM »

It was November, 1959 (or perhaps a few months before) when when Stuart and Rod brought those paintings over to the Walker Art Gallery to enter in the Second John Moores Competition.

The show ran from Nov 59 - Jan 60, so I imagine the preliminaries to narrow down the best works to be accepted for exhibition took place a few months before the actual opening.

I found a copy of a Christmas play (pantomime) that was written in 1959 by roommates: John, Stuart and Rod. It was  auctioned at Christies almost seven years ago.

Here is a link:

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=3902589

There is some irony in the fact that the manuscript references Stuart's painting
being accepted in the John Moores show.

Throughout  two scenes the character Ella

(played by June Harry),  repeats the line,  "I've got a painting in the John Moores Show. "

Someone must have been taking the mickey out of Stuart.

Here is a link to June (Burnett) Harry's memory of the the event.
She has some great things to say about one of John's favorite teachers (her husband, Philip Burnett) too:

http://www.ukplus.co.uk/stoke/truestory/3832

Here is a photo of June with some of the Art College gang from October, 1958:

June is on the bottom right. John and Cyn are in the rear.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 66 queries.