Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Is Ringo looked at as a joke these days?  (Read 9727 times)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: Is Ringo looked at as a joke these days?
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2007, 02:36:58 PM »

Quote from: 788
For those of us that know better, he was hand picked because he complimented the band with his talent, wit, and chemistry.  He was/is a great, steady drummer.  He fit.  Keith Moon or Bonham wouldn't have, though they are technically better drummers.  The Beatles didn't need that kind of bombast.  Ringo was perfect.  
Thanks, 834! I'm going to save this as my handy "Ringo pocket defense" whenever need arises. Beautifully put! Cheers.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

• A Beginning
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2007, 12:08:03 AM »

Thanks.
What time does the Bus leave?<br /><br />The opinons expressed by 834 are solely maintained by 834 and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of other members or management of this site.  They are not meant to offend or insult, they are just

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2007, 05:40:58 AM »

Quote from: 788
Cynics will always look at Ringo as the luckiest person in the world, that his chops weren't worthy of his fame and fortune.  For those of us that know better, he was hand picked because he complimented the band with his talent, wit, and chemistry.  He was/is a great, steady drummer.  He fit.  Keith Moon or Bonham wouldn't have, though they are technically better drummers.  The Beatles didn't need that kind of bombast.  Ringo was perfect.  He has aged well (picture your dad at 67 doing what he's doing), and he didn't come out of the '60s in a pine box, heroin addict, or malcontent.  Possibly the most level of that generation's lot, and is fondly remembered as the world's greatest sideman, and a decent fellow. His humour has served him well and he's just cool.  I am sure that there are some of you that say "Peace" at the end of voice message or when leaving company.  It's cool.  Long story unbearable--Ringo is no joke, he is a treasure, and really, how can you not like Ringo?

I totally agree with everything! Ringo is just amazing. ;)
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

Rising Starr

• A Beginning
    • alison johnson
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2007, 11:25:04 AM »

A Ringo Starr concert is the best time in the world because everyone knows Ringo is the biggest goof in the place.  Everyone lets their guard down, drops their ego at the door and has a great time.  We love Ringo!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2007, 11:57:30 AM »

As Marie said, I think the Peace and Love thing has become a habit to him. But there's no doubt that he means it. Everyone always thinks of George as the peace and love man because of his spiritual side, but it's Ringo that's carried the torch all these years. And if the rest of The Beatles 'estate' thought it was embarrassing they wouldn't have all done the same thing at the anniversary photoshoot.

It's non Beatles fans, and non musicians that don't rate Ringo. I've known quite a few drummers in my time, and every one, to a man, rates Ringo as a drummer. Even the non Beatles fans amongst them.

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2007, 03:36:23 AM »

Quote from: 395
I think Ringo is looked at as a joke these days, instead of the legendary artist & great rock drummer that he is.  The mainstream media seems to dismiss him entirely, despite great albums that should be more popular & great tours with his All Starr Band.  He's a great drummer in his own right with an influential style, equal to the late, great Keith Moon & John Bonham, but is overshadowed by the likes of Tommy Lee for some reason.  RS made some great music as a member of the Beatles & as a solo artist that are timeless & shouldn't be dismissed at all.

I don't listen to what the mainstream media thinks about heroes of mine. The mainstream media couldn't lick Ringo's toes. He's too great a legend to even worry about what those clowns think about him. He's the greatest drummer in ALL rock (w/ Moonie coming in a very close 2nd place)
END OF F*CK*NG STORY. (excuse my french, but this kinda thing gets my Irish/Italian temper up) Half these so-called "writers" of today's pop culture havent a clue what REAL greatness is.

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2007, 02:12:50 AM »

Well, I really think Ringo's drumming is a little overrated by some Beatle fans, and underrated by the rest. He's not bad, but to me even Paul McCartney is a better drummer. Sorry but some of the greatest drum performances in the Beatles were performed by Paul: The Ballad of John and Yoko, Back in the URSS and Dear Prudence. Those sound awesome.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Badfinger_Boogie

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2007, 04:58:49 AM »

Now here's a good question.

Let's say that Ringo Starr had never been in The Beatles. Let's say that he was a complete nobody until he started his musical career in 1970 with Sentimental Journey, and all his studio albums had been the same after that as they are now.

How famous would he and his music be, and what would be the critical standing of his music?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2007, 08:14:12 AM »

^ Good question. But if you applied the same rule to George and John you'd have two one-hit wonders (Ringo does far better in the singles market ), one good album each followed by a trail of mediocre albums and declining interest. I'd say by 1975 both John and George would have been looking for a new recording deal.
don't follow leaders

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2007, 08:58:34 AM »

Quote from: 713
Sorry but some of the greatest drum performances in the Beatles were performed by Paul: The Ballad of John and Yoko, Back in the URSS and Dear Prudence. Those sound awesome.

Sorry, but being a drummer I have to respond to this. 'Greatest drum performances in the Beatles'? LOL!

BOJ&Y and USSR are straight 4/4 beats the whole way through with hardly any fills during the entire songs. Cant see where you coming from at all there. 'Dear Prudence' is better as Paul stretches out a little, but you know what,,,,,,,he sounds exactly like Ringo. Planned it that way? You tell me.

I would say at least 75% of the Beatles catalog has better drumming than those 3 songs.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2007, 12:38:12 PM »

Quote from: 373
BOJ&Y and USSR are straight 4/4 beats the whole way through with hardly any fills during the entire songs.
Thanks, Tkitna! This is the kind of thing my drummer friend is always telling me-- but I'm a guitarist. I can't pick out the drum parts very well-- just don't know how to listen for them. So thanks for bringing in a technically informed viewpoint.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2007, 06:06:22 PM »

learned all my bass playing from Paul, Chris Squire and Geddy Lee--I'll leave the drumming critiques to other ppl--but as far as I can see, Ringo's playing  was the best suited for the Fab's purposes and Pete Best was atrocious.

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2007, 11:53:45 PM »

Im 35 yrs old...I know who tommy lee is..lol..hes not much older than me. BUT...I WAS RAISED A BEATLES FAN !
Ringo is the MAN! Its true though many "youngsters" have no clue how inportant Ringo was to ROCK N ROLL!
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 71 queries.